At what stage of winter golf is your Club in?

What is the current situation at your Club?

• No Preferred Lies in operation - Q Comps & scores

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • No Preferred Lies in operation - No Q Comps & scores

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Preferred Lies in operation with rules in place for voluntary fairway mats - Q Comps & scores

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Preferred Lies in operation with rules in place for voluntary fairway mats - No Q Comps & scores

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Preferred Lies in operation with rules in place for Mandatory fairway mats - Q Comps & scores

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Preferred Lies in operation with rules in place for Mandatory fairway mats - No Q Comps & scores

Votes: 7 15.6%

• Total voters

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We are still on full course until Monday, but from Monday on we are off forward tees, compulsory mats on fairway and first cut, so no qualifying comps or gp scores.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Erm, it's not one of your options but we're now on preferred lies - never been any suggestion of fairway mats though. Last season all the tees went onto mats but never fairway ones.

Our club was one of the best I've seen at dealing with the dry summer this year. While some other courses I went to were absolutely baked and nothing but hard mud, our course always managed to keep a bit of grass on the fairways. Consequently it hasn't become a mudbath from a bit of rain yet. The greenkeepers did really well.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Mine won't fit the above choices.

Currently: Placing on closely mown areas, no more qualifying comps until April, never have fairway mats, all trolleys allowed.

Next stages will be
1. No buggies or electric trolleys.
2. Carry only. (some exemptions apply)
3. Placing in general area.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Preferred lies on fairway as from today. Q
Reminder that blue flagged (flooded) bunkers are NPZ/GUR - as needed. Q

Warning that fairway mats may come shortly. Q
No doubt buggies will be confined to 'off fairway' but with 90* rule.
The latter two are pre-emptive moves to ensure good fairways in the Spring. Very successful in past years.

Mandofred

Visit site
Preferred lies on fairway....couple of weeks now, nothing else. I haven't played a winter at this course, but I've been told they do preferred lies eventually in the rough as well. I'm already getting mostly bare ground/mud lies so I'm more than ready for that to happen. And of course......my fav......fairway mats...I'm just waiting for those to be optional. I love mats. The guys I play with don't.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our options are not in the list .

Preferred lies and all comps qualifiers.

We do not use fairway mats.

We stay that way all winter and comps are only NQs if there are too many temp greens.

D

Deleted member 1147

Pref lies, no mats, comps are currently Q's.

Winter league starts next weekend (5th Nov), so saturdays won't be Q's

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just wondering how Clubs are responding to a pretty damaging Summer?

We did a massive amount of reseeding in September but they are clearly a lot of areas that are going to need re-turfing. ( would not need so much if only players would keep the trolleys away from the sides of bunkers, off the patches where the grass is clearly getting very worn and newly turfed areas).

wjemather

Visit site
Preferred lies have been in force since 14th October. We never have fairway mats. We will move onto winter tees (fixed mats) sometime in November, until the end of March. The winter course is rated, so competitions and general play scores continue to count for handicapping throughout the winter (except for when we're on temporary greens - bucket holes). Almost never have trolley restrictions, other than winter wheels when frosty, and buggies can often still be used if the course is dry enough.

Last edited:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolutely nothing to do with the summer weather, but as of last Monday, after heavy rain, we have preferred lies and as of next week it will be mats on fairways and closely mown areas, forward winter tees and temp greens when necessary. Preferred lies will remain in place until 30th April 2023.