At what stage of winter golf is your Club in?

What is the current situation at your Club?

• No Preferred Lies in operation - Q Comps & scores

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • No Preferred Lies in operation - No Q Comps & scores

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Preferred Lies in operation with rules in place for voluntary fairway mats - Q Comps & scores

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Preferred Lies in operation with rules in place for voluntary fairway mats - No Q Comps & scores

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Preferred Lies in operation with rules in place for Mandatory fairway mats - Q Comps & scores

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Preferred Lies in operation with rules in place for Mandatory fairway mats - No Q Comps & scores

Votes: 7 15.6%

• Total voters

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Preferred lies, no mats and Q course currently.

All set to change on Monday though when we go to winter tees, temp greens if required and mats on the fairways... with me starting rugby again I imagine the clubs will go in the cupboard apart from a few range sessions.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
just updated to placing everywhere this week. fairways are bare and ugly along with tee's. membership next year will include tee's being cut once a year when grass shows up.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
We are now on the summer course, with mats on all closely mown areas including those summer tees which don't currently have a large temporary mat on them. If the bottom holes flood, which is inevitable, we'll move to the winter course and the forward tees. Both courses are measured, so any qualifying scores count, but we don't have any qualifying comps in the winter, unless of course we start counting cards from fourball matches;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As others…we are preferred lies in areas cut to fairway length (or less). We are fortunate in that we never have to use mats. As of last week we don’t have a qualifying 18 holes for another few months as we do significant work on three holes.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As others…we are preferred lies in areas cut to fairway length (or less). We are fortunate in that we never have to use mats. As of last week we don’t have a qualifying 18 holes for another few months as we do significant work on three holes.
You don't need 18 holes for Q rounds

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Preferred lies are in place since 1st October. This is standard and not in any way a response to specific course conditions.

No mats.

The course is immaculate.

So why have preferred lies (not having a dig by the way)?

Preferred lies are supposed to help the golfer to avoid unfair situations such as where their ball might collect mud in soft conditions.....but if those conditions don't exist.....why have preferred lies?

I don't get it at my place when it is now seemingly standard practice to go to preferred lies on 1st October, irrespective of the condition of the course.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can play at least 14 holes for an 18 hole score. The unplayed holes are allocated net par. Clause 3.2

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So why have preferred lies (not having a dig by the way)?

Preferred lies are supposed to help the golfer to avoid unfair situations such as where their ball might collect mud in soft conditions.....but if those conditions don't exist.....why have preferred lies?
MLR E-3
... the Committee can choose to adopt a Local Rule for “preferred lies” (also known as “winter rules”) to allow fair play or help protect the fairway.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You can play at least 14 holes for an 18 hole score. The unplayed holes are allocated net par. Clause 3.2
Update is that three holes have been shortened with temp greens but are not out of play. However this means the course loses too much length for the slope ratings to be valid.

Mandofred

Visit site
MLR E-3
... the Committee can choose to adopt a Local Rule for “preferred lies” (also known as “winter rules”) to allow fair play or help protect the fairway.
I thought it was to get a "preferred lie"....you get to move your ball to a better spot.......either way most people are going to rip the crap out of the ground without a fairway mat.

sunshine

Visit site
I don't get it at my place when it is now seemingly standard practice to go to preferred lies on 1st October, irrespective of the condition of the course.

We went to preferred lies on 1st October even though the fairways were immaculate. They have now been scarified and overseeded so it makes sense to be on preferred lies, but otherwise we've had a mild October so the condition is great and they don't need protecting.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yellow tees. Have never used a mat in my life they sound horrible.
Preffered lies cut areas only.
Course is fantastic atm after hot weather.
I like LT find winter is a time to play golf for fun .
No GP cards .
It’s when I work on my game so if I miss a shot I will play another ball to sort my swing ( needed atm).