Astonishing green fee of the week award

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Never played links - should I try somewhere else before Porthcawl? :LOL:

Ill have a look at the Vale, appreciate the help chaps! If theyre no more special than a local well maintained parkland then its not worth the money for me!
If you go to the Vale, take lots of balls?
Plenty of water on both courses- the fact one is called the Lakes course gives it away a bit!

sunshine

Visit site
So you got the full "test of character" experience then? Do they still have fences around the greens to keep the sheep and wild ponies away? Free replay if you hit the fence was the LR, but option of play-where-it-lies if deflection was favourable. Hope Wales beat France today - but that's a different thread.

Yes still have fences but it's just a single wire at knee height (electrified) so the chances of hitting it are tiny.

Links golf is very appealing in theory, but the reality is I tend to get the full test of character more often than not, even in the middle of summer! :cry:

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Golfnut has provided the reason for the prices - he thinks those courses hosted the Ryder Cup. I'm sure a lot of people think the same.

I wouldn't pay more than £30 for either of those courses.
That would be my limit too. However, there are much better courses in the area that I would play before going there.

Swango1980

Visit site
Got an email from Celtic Manor.

Roman Road or Monty in May ??

£70 midweek £91 Weekend

Wow. No thanks.

Can you beat that??
Not for me, but either

a) there are plenty of people willing to pay those prices so it makes good business sense to find the sweet spot where the prices are as high as possible whilst keeping them coming
b) maybe they don't want the course over loaded with green fee players, so that there are sufficient slots for members. So, they are high enough to keep the number of guests limited.
c) even though they are not the Ryder Cup courses, they command high prices simply because they have the Celtic Manor name next to them.

No idea what the courses are like. I know the Ryder Cup Course (Twenty Ten) is £166 midweek and £187 weekend. The Brabazon looks like it is £185 all days of the week in May. Would love to know what Wentworth West Course is, if non-members are even allowed to play. Nothing on site, but saw something online that it was £360 in 2015. I think full membership is around £100,000, but to be fair I think that includes the £9.50 affiliation fee to England Golf.

sunshine

Visit site
I think full membership is around £100,000, but to be fair I think that includes the £9.50 affiliation fee to England Golf.
:ROFLMAO:

there are plenty of people willing to pay those prices so it makes good business sense to find the sweet spot where the prices are as high as possible whilst keeping them coming
Exactly, it's a business not a charity. People paying those high fees are getting a poor deal, but that is their choice!

maybe they don't want the course over loaded with green fee players, so that there are sufficient slots for members.
Don't know if there are any members. It is a resort first of all.

Would love to know what Wentworth West Course is, if non-members are even allowed to play. Nothing on site, but saw something online that it was £360 in 2015
Members and guests only since Reignwood bought it about 5 years ago.