Astonishing green fee of the week award

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Well if you can get a really cheap deal to Celtic Manor, it still might be on. YGT/Golf Breaks might have something interesting... if the price is right. Don't get me wrong, if the deal is good, you can have fun at Celtic Manor, and you might get a deal with the accommodation, but expect pricey drinks.

I wonder what is open in May... Drakeford will do anything to be different from Boris. So Wales might open earlier, or much later!

If you are serious about links golf, you could push the boat out a bit, play at Porthcawl and stay in their dormy house. You are then close to Pyle & Kenfig or Southerndown. Or go further west and play Ashburnham, Pennard and/or Machynys.. pick a hotel from anywhere... but Eg Stradey Park hotel in Llanelli doesn't even ay on its website when it expects to reopen.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
It got towards mid afternoon on the Friday and we were wetter than you can imagine.
Walking out to one of the holes they were going to play on the restart there was a 6 inch deep puddle on one of the paths...didn't bother going around it, went through it. Couldn't have made things wetter.....if it hadn't been the RC they wouldn't have played at all that day.

Went to that and my first Ryder Cup, watched them tee off. had some breakfast, hung around for a few hours and then four of us drove back to Leeds. Someone then drove into the back of us in Stoke and wrote our car off. Happy days

sunshine

Visit site
Any suggestions for two courses and a night stay?

Had a mate have to cancel his stag to amsterdam in May and we're looking at doing a golf weekend for a small group - Celtic Manor was up there!

Well worth going to Celtic Manor to play the 2010 course. Give the other two a miss.

The Vale is ok as a cheaper alternative.

D-S

Visit site
If I was spending a couple of days over the bridge l‘d go for Rolls of Monmouth, Rogerstone (Newport GC) and Ross on Wye over corporate Celtic Manor any day.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Well if you can get a really cheap deal to Celtic Manor, it still might be on. YGT/Golf Breaks might have something interesting... if the price is right. Don't get me wrong, if the deal is good, you can have fun at Celtic Manor, and you might get a deal with the accommodation, but expect pricey drinks.

I wonder what is open in May... Drakeford will do anything to be different from Boris. So Wales might open earlier, or much later!

If you are serious about links golf, you could push the boat out a bit, play at Porthcawl and stay in their dormy house. You are then close to Pyle & Kenfig or Southerndown. Or go further west and play Ashburnham, Pennard and/or Machynys.. pick a hotel from anywhere... but Eg Stradey Park hotel in Llanelli doesn't even ay on its website when it expects to reopen.

Well worth going to Celtic Manor to play the 2010 course. Give the other two a miss.

Never played links - should I try somewhere else before Porthcawl? :LOL:

Ill have a look at the Vale, appreciate the help chaps! If theyre no more special than a local well maintained parkland then its not worth the money for me!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

Ill have a look at the Vale, appreciate the help chaps! If theyre no more special than a local well maintained parkland then its not worth the money for me!

We stayed and played at The Vale the year after we did Celtic Manor. Without exception our group of 16 all preferred The Vale.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

I really enjoyed the Montgomery, some really nice holes. The first is terrible, but after that, I think it is ok. Only if part of a deal though, that includes the 2010. Is it worth £80 odd, no, but as an over nighter, CM is ok. Been twice, would go again.

sunshine

Visit site
We stayed and played at The Vale the year after we did Celtic Manor. Without exception our group of 16 all preferred The Vale.

We've stayed there a couple of times and had some great nights. One time we successfully crashed a wedding, and the other time there was a UEFA coaching course run by Howard Wilkinson, and every Welsh footballer I could name from the 90s was in the bar - we had a lot of banter that night. The golf was ok too :LOL:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We've stayed there a couple of times and had some great nights. One time we successfully crashed a wedding, and the other time there was a UEFA coaching course run by Howard Wilkinson, and every Welsh footballer I could name from the 90s was in the bar - we had a lot of banter that night. The golf was ok too :LOL:

Both Welsh players in the same bar at the same time?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

The Vale is a big hotel, all on site (in the same way that Celtic Manor is) most people prefer their two courses to Monty Course and Roman Rd at Celtic.

If '93 is your year of birth it is time you hit a links course... :) Not saying one type of course is better than another, but each have their merits! If you play Pyle first, it's fairly flat on the front 9, then the back 9 takes you into some great sand hills. Then Porthcawl, the clubhouse is practically on the beach and you can see the sea from every hole, very dramatic. Marvellous in my view, but I know some great golfers who hate links! But is it a very different test

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

Haven't been there for nearly 40 years, but I'll vouch for Pennard - as much a test of character as golfing ability - and some stunning coastal scenery. Langland Bay was very pretty and Clyne have their own guest house for play-and-stay packages for small groups. Clyne offers features of links and heathland type course.

Grizzly

Visit site

Ah you see I don't think that's right. The Montgomerie is a really nice course... if it's priced to accept its a second, short course with a handful of average holes. I don't think anyone would have a bad day there. It just isn't a worldie.

D

Deleted member 1147

The Vale is a big hotel, all on site (in the same way that Celtic Manor is) most people prefer their two courses to Monty Course and Roman Rd at Celtic.

If '93 is your year of birth it is time you hit a links course... :) Not saying one type of course is better than another, but each have their merits! If you play Pyle first, it's fairly flat on the front 9, then the back 9 takes you into some great sand hills. Then Porthcawl, the clubhouse is practically on the beach and you can see the sea from every hole, very dramatic. Marvellous in my view, but I know some great golfers who hate links! But is it a very different test
When a few of us played the open there in Feb a few years ago, you couldn’t see the sea from the clubhouse/first tee.
Now that’s what I call fog !

sunshine

Visit site
Haven't been there for nearly 40 years, but I'll vouch for Pennard - as much a test of character as golfing ability - and some stunning coastal scenery. Langland Bay was very pretty and Clyne have their own guest house for play-and-stay packages for small groups. Clyne offers features of links and heathland type course.

I had typical Welsh weather at Pennard, couldn’t see the coast at all. Scenery consisted of rain and clouds which is pretty common :rolleyes:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I had typical Welsh weather at Pennard, couldn’t see the coast at all. Scenery consisted of rain and clouds which is pretty common :rolleyes:
So you got the full "test of character" experience then? Do they still have fences around the greens to keep the sheep and wild ponies away? Free replay if you hit the fence was the LR, but option of play-where-it-lies if deflection was favourable. Hope Wales beat France today - but that's a different thread.