Are your golf grips the right size?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Interesting article by are very own Mr Jeremy Ellwood but its got me flummoxed!

I did the sizing through the Lamkin site when I got all my UTx grips and I came out as a Midsize, now using the Ping colour chart I come out as white and standard but, the tip of my longest finger clearly pushes into the thumb pad!

So, are my grips too small/thin? TBH I've always thought so!

If so, what is the difference if any between Lamkin Midsize and Pings White standard and if my sizing falls into those categories but my finger pushes into the thumb pad, is it just a case of going up 1 more grip size or get my pro to start adding tape, but how many layers?

This synopsis is typical of my bad shots;

If your grips are too small, there is a danger that your hands will become too active leading to inconsistency, greater shot dispersion, and typically too early a release of the club often manifesting itself in a hook or pull.

So, is this a hugely overlooked area, how many of us really know if we have the right size grips, how many of you have just bought a set and still have the stock grips on? those that have various brands of clubs how many of those have different branded grips and possible different sizes amongst them?

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/features/the-game/are-your-golf-grips-the-right-size-66566

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it is a bit more complicated than the hand and finger lengths alone.

If you have very active hands, you may benefit from slightly larger grips, regardless of your hand size, which may slow your hand action down a bit, and there was no mention of ribbed versus round grips, or of the latest thing, less tapered grips that are built up more under the right hand.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Allegedly, I need slightly oversize grips, exactly what size I can't remember.
Every time I've been fitted this has been the case.
I've been persuaded once or twice....

They feel awful!
I do my own grips these days, more often than not Golf Pride Multi Compound.
I put a layer of masking tape on before the grip tape and they feel about right.
For me, feeling right is probably more important than them actually being right....

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would pefer all my grips not to be tapered at all.

I recently got a new golf pride mc plus 4 which mirrors having four layers of tape under the bottom hand. Feels fantastic.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would pefer all my grips not to be tapered at all.

I recently got a new golf pride mc plus 4 which mirrors having four layers of tape under the bottom hand. Feels fantastic.
Got one of those MC4+ on my driver and I have to agree, Its a lovely grip (Although it does feel very soft under the right hand)
I've gone through tonnes of grips this year. I come up undersize on charts but play standard grips with 4 layers of tape. I've tried midsize, but they feel massive. I've tried undersize and my grip pressure went through the roof (causing pains in my hands and arms).
In the end I just went through trail and error. Now I'm using standard ribbed grips with 4 layers of tape and I haven't even worried about my grips for months.
Its worth the hassle to find the right grip fit for you, it makes ALOT of difference.

D

Deleted member 15344

I have no idea - I know my clubs feel comfortable in my hand and always wonder how much difference a couple of millimetres makes anyway ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To be honest, I've been to a number of fittings and we've spent ages looking at shaft options but I don't think there has been more than one or two that discussed grips sizes, tape layers and which grip would suit. Certainly not when I got the I25's. Actually in the S55's I picked up they have a gold grip and feel much bigger in my hands but I actually like them

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have played about with this loads. At one point I had Sharpro skinny little things with a half wrap of tape. I hooked the ball a lot! Never considered the possible relation until now. Right up to using Fundys cricket bat grips... I think they are midsize with 3 wraps.

I am regular size with one rap.... Vanilla.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have played about with this loads. At one point I had Sharpro skinny little things with a half wrap of tape. I hooked the ball a lot! Never considered the possible relation until now. Right up to using Fundys cricket bat grips... I think they are midsize with 3 wraps.

I am regular size with one rap.... Vanilla.
My grips are standard sized, but with two extra layers of tape. For me this makes the difference between snap hooking a lot of the time, or hitting straight shots. My glove size is medium-large btw. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

My grips are standard sized, but with two extra layers of tape. Makes the difference between snap hooking a lot of the time, or hitting straight shots. My glove size is medium-large btw. :)

How thick is the tape ?

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
My grips are standard sized, but with two extra layers of tape. Makes the difference between snap hooking a lot of the time, or hitting straight shots. My glove size is medium-large btw. :)

Your just showing off....:eek:

Have you tested it? Did you genuinely see a difference in shot behaviour?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Always been midsize with an extra 4 wraps under the bottom hand to reduce the taper, now using midsize MCC plus 4s, theyre great, far softer bottom hand than a grip stretched over hard tape layers. Would recommend fitting them upside down as a couple of mine arent perfectly straight and a little annoying