Are you aware of your score during a round.

Ads749r

Head Pro
Visit site
How many of you really monitor your score during your round. I mean like your stood on the 7th tee and know how many over or under par you are, or do you just jot your score down and wait till the end to tally up. I like to go round without thinking of scores. I just jot down on the card what I've got and tally up and the end and I usually have a good score. I dont like knowing on the 14th that if I par every hole I will finish +4 gross, I find that puts me off big time and I start playing bad. Nearly every round I'm pleasantly surprised how well I've done and that gives me confidence the next time I play.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The lower it is the harder it into ignore. I mean its pretty simple to remember going through the round if you have only dropped shots here and there.

I lose count after about 7 which is my shot allowance I suppose. All downhill from there!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I just jot the scores down but I have a good idea most of the time how I'm doing. It's been better since NGT and I try and play one shot at a time now and not get too far ahead of myself. Not perfect by a long way but improving and it's a part of the book I revisit regularly

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In a way, knowing your score can keep you sharp. You can use it to remind yourself how well you are doing and keep the good vibes flowing.

Alternatively we all have those rounds where we played blissfully unaware then surprised ourselves when we jotted the scores up at the end.

There is no real right or wrong. If you know your score you can get used to the feeling of going low(relative to handicap). This feeling gets easier to manage the more times we put ourselves in that position.

No one can totally ignore their score 100% of the time. If they can, they have too many shots to play with. ;)

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As much as I try not to I just cannot stop counting my points in a stableford or how much over or under handicap I am in a medal. I also complete a second card to enter on my Skygolf account with shots played, fairways found and putts taken but even this distraction doesn't stop the calculator in my brain constantly telling me how I am doing.

Ads749r

Head Pro
Visit site
Quite diverse some of the answers so far. It just shows how everyone thinks around the course differently. I see what you mean by keeping track of a good score can keep you sharp. For me I'm sharp on every shot as I've practised my pre shot routine so many times I'm focused. Also I get the feeling that when people play a hole are you thinking "right its a par 4 so I need to do this in 4 shots" adding unnecessary pressure on your self. I say that because the way I think is to not think of the par (I know it sounds weird) but just do the hole in the least amount of shots. I think of myself playing a par 5 I don't think of doing 5 shots as subconsciously I've said to myself I'm going to do it in 5 so set myself up to not better it. You could almost say I don't think about total shots around the course only the one I'm doing there and then. (Out the rough normally)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I know when I'm under par, other than that I generally don't know. I've often finished a round and realised that I shot 1 over on the front 9 or that I was 1 over par on the 16th and didn't know. The only thing that interests me in a round is making birdies and even then sometimes I'm not sure if I've made 1, 4 or 5 - the more the merrier, but I always know if I've made none.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was 2 over after 7 holes the other day. Not very impressive for most, but the best I've ever been. Not only did I know my score, I could and still can remember every shot!

Don't know the numbers when not playing well, but who takes a calculator round with them anyway? :confused:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll know exactly what my situation is the whole round ... if I don't know the exact score then I'm playing so badly that I really don't care what the score is as I'll be getting 0.1 back ;)

Ads749r

Head Pro
Visit site
anyone who doesnt know- doesnt care!
How can you speak for other people. I don't know but I do care otherwise I wouldn't be playing. What you said only applies to you because that's how you think. So do you keep track of how well your doing after every hole if so do you score well and have you tried not worrying about the score till the end.