• Yes

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 70 87.5%

• Total voters

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No, don’t think I’m particular slow, or fast for that matter, just normal. Hard to be sure as I normally play with others but if I played on my own it would be under 3 hours. I only take practice swings for fiddly shots/chips, don’t have to get the line on the ball lined up on the greens etc. I generally get to my ball, look at the yardage on watch, choose club, stand behind to pick a line, hit it, clean club as I’m walking to the next shot.

We generally go round in 3.5 hours if just having a knock, not searching for balls, not hitting provisionals, having gimme putts etc, then around 4 hours if it’s a comp. But I’ve had a 5 hour comp round before due to it being a very busy course and it didn’t bother me at all, everyone adjusted their pace accordingly, no waiting on tees.

Would always let the group behind through if we were holding things up, happens every now and then when someone’s having a bad day, ball hunting etc. But generally, if pace of play is fast, we’ll pick up the pace as necessary.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
But did the 'slow' golfer get to his ball 15-20 seconds quicker than you before playing his shot? Did he fill in the scorecard quicker than you? Slow play is caused by a whole number of reasons, not the obvious one of playing a shot which most people seem to focus on. If people walked just a little bit quicker between shots, it would make much more difference than having an extra practice swing.
That's true, but no, he didn't. He isn't a 'slow' golfer. He's a slow golfer.

Hoganman1

Visit site
I'm actually a fast player. Sometimes too fast. I seem to play better if I slow down both my pace of play and my swing. However, when the pace slows to a crawl my game goes South. Nothing bugs me more than waiting multiple minutes to play a long shot over water or a hazard. We have a guy in our group that is slow. He's a great guy and a single digit index, However, we have to work to keep him moving to stay in postion with the groups in front and behind us.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No. I find that a fast pace of play suits me.

If i'm out on my own and the course is reasonably clear I can usually get round most courses in about 2 and a half hours.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Another thing that makes people slow is a lack of talent or ability. If you are taking 3 off the tee, spraying balls in both direction. Inability to chip and get out of bunkers.

Rocky road to go down if you start blaming ability. Are you saying higher handicappers should only go out at set times so they don't hold others up? I know some low handicappers that are capable of spraying tee shots and hitting three off the tee several times a round and have also seen them thin bunker shots through the green into rough and then have to look for a ball

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When I had my first five lessons. One thing I was taught. talk rammel between playing your shots. Chill out, talk about football, women, weather, The forbidden “ P” word on here. BUT. 15 seconds before you get to your ball.Look where you are, dangers, bunkers, water, distance.etc etc etc. I do try. Yet on countless occasions I see playing partners look suprised when they get to there ball.Look at watch, satnav it’s like there choosing between 4 clubs. I can play a shot. Walk to my ball be ready to play my shot yet the player to go after me does not even have his club out

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't know if it says anything about my speed but I played a gentle 10 holes with 2 balls this afternoon and that took me a little under an hour and three quarter...and I putted out or gimme'd both balls on most holes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When I had my first five lessons. One thing I was taught. talk rammel between playing your shots. Chill out, talk about football, women, weather, The forbidden “ P” word on here. BUT. 15 seconds before you get to your ball.Look where you are, dangers, bunkers, water, distance.etc etc etc. I do try. Yet on countless occasions I see playing partners look suprised when they get to there ball.Look at watch, satnav it’s like there choosing between 4 clubs. I can play a shot. Walk to my ball be ready to play my shot yet the player to go after me does not even have his club out

Know what you mean. We have players that are still in the middle of a conversation when its their turn to play and I can play my shot (ready golf) and they can still be talking after my ball has gone. Then they go through the faff of assessing their shot, a practice swing and then hit it.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would put myself as average … I’ve played with quicker players and also with some who are f … a … r slower! I am quick enough tee to green, but perhaps a little slower than some on the green … my putting improved after a lesson about using a line on the ball so now I have to get it just right … if I don’t, I miss (and I sometimes miss when I do as well ?).

evemccc

Visit site

Exactly. If it’s your home course, the only thing you should have to consider when you reach your ball is the lie..obvs that can and does affect club and shot selection if it’s a bad lie

Apart from that, you should roughly know what clubs you’re likely to hit if you hit your average distance from the tee — feeling the wind direction and making a decision on how the cold has affected your club selection should be taken whilst walking to your ball and should be as simple as thinking a stock 9 becomes an 8 or so…

It shouldn’t take long at all at your home course to decide your clubs and what you’re trying to achieve in each shot

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Totally agree with this. I'm making decisions, check my GPS watch, in those last few steps before I stop at my ball. By the time I've actually stopped I know what I'm going to do, the correct club is in hand. Those that stop at their ball and then start to think about what to do ?.

Be ready, play ready.

Hoganman1

Visit site
No. I find that a fast pace of play suits me.

If i'm out on my own and the course is reasonably clear I can usually get round most courses in about 2 and a half hours.

I tend to agree. I actually like to play solo and sometimes can play in three hours or less if the course isn't crowded. Unfortunately, although my home course is private it's always packed. This has been especially true since COVID-19 came on the scene. It's really difficult to get times now and almost all rounds take four hours or more.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Totally agree with this. I'm making decisions, check my GPS watch, in those last few steps before I stop at my ball. By the time I've actually stopped I know what I'm going to do, the correct club is in hand. Those that stop at their ball and then start to think about what to do ?.

Be ready, play ready.
This is why on the rare times I have played golf with Buggy, I've not played well, as half the work is done on the walk to the ball, have a look where the pin, where the bunkers are, wind direction ect.. when in a buggy you get to the ball with little preparation

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Am I a slow player? Walking, yes, I find I’m dragging my feet over the last few holes. I’m not fit, and unlikely to ever be fit enough to walk 18 holes quickly enough to satisfy many players. Once upon a time I would say I was (too) quick.

But all of my golf is now played from a buggy. My time at the ball is as quick as ever.

4LEX

Visit site
I'm probably one of the fastest! Was fortunate to play a lot of my early golf on a two ball only course and speedy play was ingrained. If any round was over 3hrs you'd be reported.

I tend to go to my club around 2.30 at the moment and will get around in 2hrs or so.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't like slow golf. It's not where someone has a reasonable pre-shot routine but where they don't do sensible things to keep play moving along. Not leaving clubs in the best place to move away from the green, marking cards on or near green, not preparing for the next shot before you get to the ball etc. Also some golfers although not disabled move around in slow motion with complete disregard to players waiting behind.

I'm in favour of groups having their start and finish times recorded and being penalised if they've held up play.

Ah! That feels better ?

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Rocky road to go down if you start blaming ability. Are you saying higher handicappers should only go out at set times so they don't hold others up? I know some low handicappers that are capable of spraying tee shots and hitting three off the tee several times a round and have also seen them thin bunker shots through the green into rough and then have to look for a ball
Well, high cappers generally ARE going to take more time than low ones! Simple arithmetic shows that someone playing, say 95 shots, will take more time than someone playing 80 or less! And that doesn't factor in any additional time searching etc that they will inevitably have more of than low cappers! The challenge for clubs is to manage low-capper expectations and mid and high-capper 'challenges' - and rights! Comps in Divisions can help, but I don't believe there's a totally fair system.

Last edited: