• Yes

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 70 87.5%

• Total voters

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
No I'm not slow but it does help being a better golfer who hits it further than average as I'm hitting less shots than others & usually I'm the last to play my second shot so I've had time to get a yardage & club ready whilst others are playing their shots. Although as it's ready golf I will often play if I see another player isn't ready to do so just to keep the pace of play up.

I don't mind people taking a little time on their shots (within reason), but it's the people who leave their bags/carts in the wrong place & then have to walk back to collect it after they've holed out that winds me up or they aren't ready to play when they should be.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am a short hitter but average over 200 yards so feeling better about myself. As for pace of play, I have a set routine but I am going through my club selection and getting to ready while others are playing so always ready to step up and play when it is my turn and so don't consider myself a slow player. I move briskly between shots and always leave my bag in a sensible place

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
If you calculate it as time taken for round divided by number of shots hit, then I am very slow.

I don't expect someone who hits a lot more shots than me to do this in the same amount of time. That would be an unrealistic expectation.

Three players like me would complete an unhindered round much quicker than 3 higher handicap players. That would be my realistic expectation.

If you don't mind, I will abstain from the vote.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
No, I'm not slow, I dont mind players who take longer over their shots than I do but I get brassed off by the ones who leave their bags and have to walk stupid distances after playing to retrieve them, stand and talk when moving from green to tee etc etc and especially those who won't let anyone through.

Yesterday we were playing a vets foursomes matchplay semi final, there was a slow'ish pair in front but there were two vets fourballs in front of them and they were not going to let anyone through- we concluded our match on the 15th and walked in as we'd been out nearly 3.5 hours at that point.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is a leading question therefore I cannot answer it truthfully.

In reality I am neither a fast or slow player. If anything I would be on the slower side as dont do anything quickly. I'm fairly laid back.

I can get a wriggle on if I'm trying to beat the light and get a full round in. I'm fairly quick to hit off the tee but take more time nearer the green.

My default setting is not rush rush rush. Sod it, Put me in the slow camp.

D

Deleted member 1740

No. If anything i rush too often.

I think its because im concious of slow play

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m as slow as the group in front , that’s always the aim is to keep up with them.

Our place is a 4 hour round , when we go out first we have gone round in 3:30 to 3:45 most weekends , comps are around 4 hours.

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s relative to situation of the day, ie, non-comp day 3hrs for a 4ball, less than 2hrs on my own.
Weekends during comps I’m happy with 4hrs.

Certainly slow to some I’ve played along side and too quick for some others.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I rarely get round in less than two hours or more than four.
A lot depends on who I play with, three hours is a good time for social golf, but it's often a bit longer.

D

Deleted member 25172

Like I eat food and walk in general - quick. Don't like hanging about, and it stresses me out to have people behind me on the course.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not slow, but I'm by no means quick.

I've a routine that works for me, in all it's faster than most - stand behind ball and target, grip club and address ball and take shot. I might address ball anything between 2 to 10 seconds. In total, it's max. 20 seconds per shot generally and no practice swings.

There's a four ball that plays ahead of / sometimes behind us on Saturdays - they are fast. No practice swings, walk straight to their own ball - often before the other FCs have hit - hit when ready from fairway and green, don't look for anyone else's ball etc. To be honest not a very social round and it doesn't appeal, but they take pride in being right up behind the group in front and often times are on the tee with the group complaining about slow play and putting them more pressure! There's also a very slow group and it's painful watching them on the green from the fairway.... all putts get assessed with fall walk rounds and marking which would be fine if they all dropped, but they don't and the routine starts again - to be fair it's only the greens and they're fine on the tee and fairways.

Harley-D

Visit site
I was in a three ball yesterday and by the 10th the four behind had lost three holes. Does that make me fast or then slow? We weren’t rushing

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In all my playing years I have only met one player who knows and admits to being a slow player.

One of the slowest players in our group asked a few of us if he was a slow player when told yes (in the most politest manner) he still would not accept the answers and often blames the the other players in his group for the slow play.

He also asked how he could speed up but he still plays in the same way with the same faults (not swing ones) which make him part of being slow. E.G watching everybody else's shots before even starting to make preparations for his own, will not play Ready Golf always tries to be last to hit off a tee even when it is his honour, laser from as little 20 yards away from a green (we are all waiting for the day when he lasers his putt).

HeftyHacker

Visit site
By myself I'm pretty quick, comfortably under 2 hours round our place ( a moderately hilly but short course).

The 4 ball i play in usually aim to get round in under 2:45 if its a clear course. We all walk to our ball and play ready golf unless their ball is directly in front of someone else's.

I do get very self conscious of fannying about when I play in a group, particularly when using the laser, but I've not got the longest PSR, I'll just take a few practice swings on the first wedge shots of the day normally as I have a tendency to thin them when cold, or if I've got a dodgy lie with the ball above or below my feet.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well, the 4-ball I'm in normally wait on most holes, so I guess we are quicker than most - or the course is packed (it IS popular). There's a marshal who keep us informed if there's a problem, so that's all we ask PofP-wise. It does provide the opportunity to chat though, which is a sizeable part of what our rounds are about.