• Yes

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 70 87.5%

• Total voters

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't believe I'm slow. There will always be those that are quicker than me. But I like to keep moving - on the greens if anything I don't take long enough and miss a few from rushing. Last couple of times I played a round on my own I did it in 2:11 and 2:18.

Albo

Visit site
A couple of weeks back at our course we were on winter greens, just a circle on the fairway, as it was frozen, I was waiting to tee off on the 12th watching a 2 ball play the 8th. One of the guys had missed the green right in the rough but putting, at which point he crouched down to read his putt out of the rough then stood up and plum bobbed it, left the putt short still in the rough, repeated the same routine, pushed it 15ft past,same again left it 5ft short, didnt do any of his routine this time and missed it more than 5ft past the hole and picked up. It was amazing to watch.

Boomy

Visit site
I’ve put yes, slow golfer. I’d say steady rather than fast or slow.

I/we are generally around 3:20/40 for a general play round and 3:40-4:00 for a medal round/off the back tees (both examples a 4 ball, slightly quicker if 3, substantially quicker if 2)

That will be quick for some, and hideously slow for others. We aim to keep moving and keep play flowing. If we are caught by a quicker group we let them through (unless they are rude or uncourteous in which case we slow down ?) If we catch a slower group we hope to get through (but rarely do)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Me I play ready golf. Am I slow, not at all. A lot of talk seems to be about slow golfers. And I play with a couple. However quick golfers are just as much a PITA. One I know does nothing but moan. “Everyone is slow“, ” come on get a move on”, ” why has he left his bag there” Etc etc etc. Nothing but moan moan moan. It is not a pleasant 18 holes when he is on one.

Last edited:

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I played with a guy on Sunday who took 25-30 seconds (I timed it) over every shot except putts. It seemed like an eternity when I was watching him. I reckon that's 15-20 seconds per shot more than I take so, all other things being equal, that's a difference of 11-18 minutes over a typical round. The other three members of our group didn't hang about and, over 18 holes, we only lost 3 or 4 minutes on the group in front. Had we had two or more players of his speed though, it would have been a different story.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I voted no, I like to play at my pace walk to my ball, practice swing and hit, I hate standing around. Pace of play is def slowing down at my club though, the little group of guys used to be able to get round in the pick you own group medals in 3 hours on a 6400 yard course and the drawn comp sometimes would be 3 and a half if it was slow. Both those now are much slower, with the drawn comps unless you are out first it's now taking 4 hours. We have also now dropped seeded tee time starts we used to have pre WhS. A couple of the really low guys were... deliberate, so not fast but to their credit though, someone off +figures is hitting a lot less shots?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played with a guy on Sunday who took 25-30 seconds (I timed it) over every shot except putts. It seemed like an eternity when I was watching him. I reckon that's 15-20 seconds per shot more than I take so, all other things being equal, that's a difference of 11-18 minutes over a typical round. The other three members of our group didn't hang about and, over 18 holes, we only lost 3 or 4 minutes on the group in front. Had we had two or more players of his speed though, it would have been a different story.
But did the 'slow' golfer get to his ball 15-20 seconds quicker than you before playing his shot? Did he fill in the scorecard quicker than you? Slow play is caused by a whole number of reasons, not the obvious one of playing a shot which most people seem to focus on. If people walked just a little bit quicker between shots, it would make much more difference than having an extra practice swing.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I play golf... I'm capable of being fast or slow

It's the things I have limited influence over that'll decide if I'm playing slow, fast or average.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Following on from the slow play thread, I'm intrigued to know what all of us forummers think of their own playing speed :unsure:

I think I can adapt to my surroundings. Sunny, millionaires golf, I’m happy to take it slow…….but if there are people behind I play ready golf. My playing partners don’t always share the urgency and this stresses me out. Show consideration and it all goes hunky dory.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Even though I don't drive the ball 200yd+ and usually play my second shot first (doesn't sound right but you know what I mean), take more shots per hole than most, have head covers on my clubs, hobble along due to knackered knees, I'm as slow/fast as the people with whom I'm playing. As a group we are as slow/fast as the group in front, rarely lose much, if any, ground on them and rarely keep the group behind us waiting.

So yes. Some might think I'm slow getting around but once I get to play my ball, I'm pretty quick.

It is what it is. I set aside at least 4/5 hours for a local game which includes travelling and a pot of tea after. Really can't understand why so many folk seem to want to rush round. If your time for relaxation is so brief, maybe golf isn't the game for you :unsure:

Oh. And yes, I do have a ball retriever - it's paid for itself many times over (y)

babylonsinger

Visit site
After reading some of this thread I would definitely say I'm a slow player. Constantly find myself telling my regular playing partners (who are fairly new to the game) that it's their turn particularly on greens.

Like to think I'm overly considerate in letting people play through but find this is often at the detriment of my own game

RichA

Visit site
If I play early with one pp, we normally get round in under 3 hours.
Solo, on a summer afternoon if the course is quiet, 2 hours is possible.
In a 3 or 4-ball weekend comp at ours, 4 hours is pretty much the norm. It's 6600 yards with some pretty unforgiving rough. People only normally start moaning if it takes more than 4 1/2 hours.
As much as I'm normally fairly quick, I don't mind a more relaxed round and don't really like to rush slower PPs or folks in front who are enjoying their recreation time on a golf course they're paying for. If I haven't got 5 hours to spare, I don't assume I'm going to get 18 holes in. My problem - nobody else's.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
The things that i see that make people slow are not being ready to play their shot when its their turn. They will be standing looking around them and then its their turn they will start checking distance and club selection then starting their pre shot routine.

Another thing that makes people slow is a lack of talent or ability. If you are taking 3 off the tee, spraying balls in both direction. Inability to chip and get out of bunkers.

People who dont identify their own ball before looking for a playing partners.