• Yes

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 70 87.5%

• Total voters

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well, high cappers ARE going to take more time than low ones! Simple arithmetic shows that someone playing, say 95 shots, will take more time than someone playing 80 or less!

Not necessarily Foxy! :rolleyes:

Being now a "shorter hitter", for me most holes are unreachable "in regulation"! So, yes! I probably have to take an extra (say) 14/15 shots a round compared to a "proper" golfer just to reach the green, but at least I can just walk straight up to my ball and whack it in the required general direction! I find that now, my stock phrase to others in my group (who are mainly single figure players) is "I'll just play my shot and come and help you find your's"!

"Well, high cappers ARE going to take more time than low ones!" Not from my experience Foxy!! But I do, of course, help the lower H/cappers find their balls so they can maintain their h/caps! (y)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not necessarily Foxy! :rolleyes:

Being now a "shorter hitter", for me most holes are unreachable "in regulation"! So, yes! I probably have to take an extra (say) 14/15 shots a round compared to a "proper" golfer just to reach the green, but at least I can just walk straight up to my ball and whack it in the required general direction! I find that now, my stock phrase to others in my group (who are mainly single figure players) is "I'll just play my shot and come and help you find your's"!

"Well, high cappers ARE going to take more time than low ones!" Not from my experience Foxy!! But I do, of course, help the lower H/cappers find their balls so they can maintain their h/caps! (y)
You are the/an exception.
I should have used 'in general', so will update my original post.
Btw. You must be pretty good at finding their balls if that's your 'stock phrase' to single figure guys.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
There’s a guy at our place, plays off one/ scratch.. He gets to his ball, range finder. Club. One quick swing and bang. 15 seconds tops and he is walking down the fairway. It just seems smooth and quick although he never looks rushed. A fantastic routine.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Normally I'm longer off the tee than my playing partners..
Often, while they're lining their shot up, I zap the flag with the laser and work out the difference between that number and the middle of the green distance that's on the GPS.
When I get to my ball a quick glance shows me the middle number, an even quicker calculation and I know how far the pin is.
Saves me doing the lasering at the ball...not that it takes long anyway

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was called out by our ranger once to sort out a problem.
An unusual happening as he could generally put the fear of god into golfers by raising his eyebrows.

Angry golfer tells me 'how can I possibly be slow, just look at my scorecard.
I tell him I am looking at the three groups of players bunched up behind him on the hole he is playing and the two clear holes in front.
His reply was 'but we are a four ball and they are only two balls'.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Normally I'm longer off the tee than my playing partners..
Often, while they're lining their shot up, I zap the flag with the laser and work out the difference between that number and the middle of the green distance that's on the GPS.
When I get to my ball a quick glance shows me the middle number, an even quicker calculation and I know how far the pin is.
Saves me doing the lasering at the ball...not that it takes long anyway
Unfortunately not the case on the 10th at Blackmoor :)

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I think I'm on the quick side of average. Walk quite quickly, keep an eye on everyone's ball, don't obsess about the order of play, chip very quickly (to stop the voices). I do faff a bit too much about yardages and rely on others on a tee to tell me what's going on. Played with a pro last week who hit every shot under 20 seconds from start to finish which I found quite mind blowing

D

Deleted member 21258

My wife (yes a woman and high highcapper of 27ish, just for the generalisations, not quite a senor tho :p) can easily go round in 2.45-3 hours on any course. as a 3 ball we are normally 3-3.15 hours etc. Put my mum with us and we get much slower, as she cant physically walk any faster/play than about 4 hour round pace but thats okay, we let faster groups pass.

Slow players come in all shapes, sizes, ages, sex, race, handicap levels and for different reasons, heck on some wayward days I can be flipping slow but I give up looking for golf balls to speed up the process. So I voted Yes to the poll.

Its an individual problem and sometimes a daily variable problem. Get 100 people on a course and of course you have slow play.

The above poll makes me chuckle, just says everything about polls, that barely anyone has voted slow:LOL:, yet every forum day or golf open I have been on has been a slow day(4.30 hours plus iirc) and clubs competitions always have been 4 hours plus, apart from being first out.......:ROFLMAO::)

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You might as well done a poll for who thinks they have a tiny penis! NO one is going to admit they are slow any more than admitting they only hit 200 yards with the driver :p:p:p
If I could hit 200 yards with my driver I would be delighted. 190 on a good day but around 180 is the norm.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not slow (unless my driver is misbehaving and I'm spending 3 mins per hole looking for the ball!), I walk briskly between shots, don't worry about order of play etc. I do take a little bit of time making sure I'm happy with the yardage I'm hitting, but as I rely on my watch it's not like I'm zapping away with a laser.

I play with a few people that would also say they are not slow, but I observe habits that make them slower than they could otherwise be. It doesn't tend to be the time they take over a shot, but rather not being efficient between shots, e.g leaving a bag or trolley in the wrong place (we all do that sometimes, but some more often than others), taking a bit of time to put clubs back in bags / headcover back on, writing a score down at a time when they could be on the move. Not things that make them slow per se, just not as efficient as they could be, and these things all add up.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My wife (yes a woman and high highcapper of 27ish, just for the generalisations, not quite a senor tho :p) can easily go round in 2.45-3 hours on any course. as a 3 ball we are normally 3-3.15 hours etc.

Princes in the "beast from the east" ??

D

Deleted member 21258

Princes in the "beast from the east" ??

Not to sure what that has to do that part you quote ? :unsure:

We were a 4 ball at Princes, me, wife, you and radbourne and we were waiting on alot of shots.

IIRC there was 2x3 balls out first then 1 x4 ball and then us, we were the last 4 ball and yeah it was very slow due to people in front, especially on the back nine waiting and in that weather.

Slow play happens all the time, is what I am trying to say and will always happen, just to many people on a course not to have it.

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
I get called a slow golfer by some of my friends. I get some friendly banter about it now and again but nothing malicious. I used to let it get to me a little bit but I'm not too fussed now. Am I a slow golfer? Well that depends on how you look at it and this is the response I often give to people who say it to me.

I acknowledge and accept that I do take a little longer with my PSR and when I'm over the ball. It's something I'm working on but at the moment I'm doing a lot of work trying to improve my swing (lessons etc) and I need to feel like I'm doing the basics right getting set up over the ball etc. I'm not one of these people who can get comfortable over the ball straight away and pull the trigger almost immediately. I take golf fairly seriously most of the time and want to get better, shoot the best scores I can and get as low as I can.

Now where I may loose time during my PSR I feel I make up for in other areas. I don't waste time looking for balls when there is little chance of finding them. I often won't even take the full 3 minutes I'm allowed. If it's gone into thick cabbage then it's lost ball move on. I don't leave my trolley / bag in the wrong locations. I walk quickly in between shots I don't amble down the fairway. I don't use a line on my ball for putting and I don't look at putts from 10 different angles. I would actually say my putting PSR isn't slow at all it's perfectly fine. I am always aware of faster golfers behind me and will shout them through when the opportunity presents itself. I honestly can't remember the last time I had to let anyone through though.

The vast majority of times the group I'm playing in will get round our course in 4:30 (traffic dependent) which is actually 10 minutes less than the time that is on the card. For those of you who may know Wychwood Park in Cheshire it's a long track and 4:30 is the standard time for a 3/4 ball. When playing other local parklands I can quite comfortably get round in 4 hours again traffic dependent.

So do I have a slower than average PSR, yes. Am I a slow golfer in general, I don't think so.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Not to sure what that has to do that part you quote ? :unsure:

We were a 4 ball at Princes, me, wife, you and radbourne and we were waiting on alot of shots.

IIRC there was 2x3 balls out first then 1 x4 ball and then us, we were the last 4 ball and yeah it was very slow due to people in front, especially on the back nine waiting and in that weather.

Slow play happens all the time, is what I am trying to say and will always happen, just to many people on a course not to have it.

Was just joking

D

Deleted member 1147

A thousand golfers were asked this question

None of them were.
I'm just glad that it means we should race around Hayling this year, with so few slow golfers in our midst :unsure: :sneaky:

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
Rocky road to go down if you start blaming ability. Are you saying higher handicappers should only go out at set times so they don't hold others up? I know some low handicappers that are capable of spraying tee shots and hitting three off the tee several times a round and have also seen them thin bunker shots through the green into rough and then have to look for a ball

No not at all. As you've alluded to yourself, everyone is capable of spraying the balls about now and again. There will always be beginner players joining the sport and there will always be a womens section to slow us down to. I know when we are in for a slow day the majority of the time it is down to ability. I am a member at 2 clubs and 1 lets woman go out on a saturday and if your stuck behind them your in for a long day. Nothing against them or anything, would prefer to be in front of them but everyone is equally entitled to use the course as every one else. This is why slow play will never go away.

I wouldn't say the guy that likes to take 4 or 5 practise swings and takes an extra couple seconds lining his ball up is the reason the course gets back up, in my experience.

D

Deleted member 21258

Was just joking

Oh, thought I had missed something, doh, sorry :oops: thought you may have forgotten the details :p:LOL:

Was it cold that day, hope one day to have the pleasure of your company again on the golf course, most enjoyable round. Its a round I often remember and it brings a smile to my face. Happy days