Are Memberships really value for money

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Also a lot of young people are put off by the impression of golf... can’t wear black socks! Lol

Black socks perfectly acceptable attire at my place. They may not - for most wearers - make the most sartorially elegant combination with their shoes and shorts - but nothing wrong with black socks.

On membership vfm - a lot of the posts here seem to be focussing on the financial circumstances of individuals and various groups of members. Frankly someones financial circumstances are none of my business - if I want to join any particular club and decide that I can afford it then that is my business. If the club wishes to attract a certain age group for vitality of the club - an age group perhaps that we struggle to attract and we feel we need to keep the membership demographic healthy - then if putting together an attractive package attracts from that age group and the club finances can afford it - then great. All for it.

When I am standing on the 1st tee I couldn't give a monkeys what deal or membership my playing companions are on;; what car they drive and holidays they go on, or whether or not they could afford full membership - just none of my business and irrelevant to my enjoyment and playing of the game.

My place was struggling on the finance and membership side a few years back. We put out some really good deals and got quite a large uptake of late 20s-40yr olds who are now all part and parcel of the club and frankly may have played a major part in keeping things going by preventing huge subs hikes. And they are mostly still all members. They might now be still on their deal - they might be on our stepped subs - they might be full members - I do not know and I do not care.

Last edited:

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
No.

It's because they love and support their children and would rather they had a place they can call home until they are ready to go out and buy or rent. It aids them in saving for a mortgage. It gives them stability. It's what parents do for their kids.

What's sounds good about helping your children?

Genuinely what a stupid comment.

Now you're going from clueless to abusive. You need to think long and hard before posting comments like that. Me paying keep to my parents doesn't mean they don't love and support me or my sister. Again, absolutely clueless.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Now you're going from clueless to abusive. You need to think long and hard before posting comments like that. Me paying keep to my parents doesn't mean they don't love and support me or my sister. Again, absolutely clueless.

I think you need to think long and hard before questioning if my mates are doing it as a social status.

I will repeat, a genuinely stupid comment!

gojrno1

Hacker
Visit site
As has been said previously on this thread, I think you need to be playing twice a week at a minimum to get value for money from your membership.
I didn't re-join my club this year as we had our 2nd child in March plus I was on the final year of my degree course, so I would've struggled to play once a month to be honset, which would've been a complete waste of money.
I think it's difficult especially if you have a young family and you work full-time, to be able to commit to playing regularly as the weekends are used to spend time with the family.
Hope to re-join my club next year though, degree is finished and I'm hoping to balance family time with golf time.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I think you need to think long and hard before questioning if my mates are doing it as a social status.

I will repeat, a genuinely stupid comment!

Not really, he's implied that a large number of people pay keep to their parents because their parents don't love them. Hardly me being stupid if it's something someone else has said is it?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
With the politest respect, I believe the exchange of views became destructive from the time you posted this
Ever thought maybe they say they don't get them to pay because they think it sounds good?
I think you have then gone on to construe implications that simply aren't there.

It's a silly argument anyway; anyone who would wish to place a bet against the premise that "some parents don't charge their children to stay living at home, and some do" should contact me with the amount they wish to wager!

You make a good point in that not all youngsters wish to play golf; completely agree. Not sure that the lure of football as an alternative is the be all and end all, but clearly it is/was for someone, at some point.

As to why clubs offer intermediate fee structures, this varies. Fundamentally they got introduced decades ago (or earlier) when demographics and economics were very different. The expectation was that those in that category were not only continuing their education but were expected to both live in the same area that they had grown up and be a life long member of the club. From that beginning they have been tried and expanded on to today's position where they are more of a marketing strategy to gain members that might otherwise go elsewhere - which is why they have expanded in their scope so significantly on the one hand, and are never really tested from any profitability perspective beyond their marginal contribution to an open membership situation.

But this is all getting further, and further, from the original premise

dronfield

Visit site
It is very difficult to assess golf club membership value purely in pounds - as has been said, unless you play at least twice a week, then it will probably always financially be cheaper to pay n play.
Last year after being golf club members for over 20 years, me and a mate decided we werent getting full value so left our respective clubs and joined a quasi municipal which we used as our main club under a 24 rounds membership scheme, and played a further 10 rounds at other local clubs.
Whilst this worked out cheaper for 34 rounds moneywise, we missed the golf club feel ie, playing in a regular fiddle, everyone having a post round drink, using the practice facilities, social side etc etc.
As a result we have joined a local golf club as full members for next year & are looking forward to making full use of the club facilities.
Interestingly, despite all clubs advertising for new members, out of all the courses we played as visitors this year, not one asked us for any feedback or if we would be interested in joining them!
Rich

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
As has been said previously on this thread, I think you need to be playing twice a week at a minimum to get value for money from your membership.
I didn't re-join my club this year as we had our 2nd child in March plus I was on the final year of my degree course, so I would've struggled to play once a month to be honset, which would've been a complete waste of money.
I think it's difficult especially if you have a young family and you work full-time, to be able to commit to playing regularly as the weekends are used to spend time with the family.
Hope to re-join my club next year though, degree is finished and I'm hoping to balance family time with golf time.

I hope that degree is not in mathematics or finance... :LOL:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hypothetical question. You have the course set up and you somehow get to take over your club and run it. How do you run it and what do you do to a) keep the existing membership happy, b) entice new members and perhaps more importantly c) balance the books?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hypothetical question. You have the course set up and you somehow get to take over your club and run it. How do you run it and what do you do to a) keep the existing membership happy, b) entice new members and perhaps more importantly c) balance the books?
Depends on who actually owns it.
If it's owned by the members you set out a plan, get it agreed by the members and manage to it...
If it's owned externally you establish the parameters for success and plan in order to deliver to them
Balancing the books is rarely the be all and end all for any single year

Dannyc

Visit site
I’m a full member and it’s well worth every penny of the 800 odd quid I pay it’s not just the golf it’s also the social side summer nights few holes couple of pints nothing better it’s got a great set of lads who when there is no club comp on we play fivers in tee off anytime during the day and a simple whatapp group for putting cards on with cash left in the bar Saturday and Sunday winter leagues run every year bar lads knockouts arranged beteeen ourselves wolstanton golf club in stoke on Trent not the best layout but brilliant local club

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dropping fees with a falling membership and rising costs is a recipe for closure. There is no guarantee dropping fees will attract members.

Membership is falling due to the cost of it increasing. For me, I'd take that risk of of say dropping a £800 to £600 and abolishing the staggered fees. But, I'd also offer free junior (under 11) membership. There can't be much finer a feeling then playing golf with your son or daughter.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Or maybe people are doing other stuff?

Course near here closed 18 months ago..owners were taking too much cash out of the business and letting quality slide.. so they started losing members becuase the course wasnt up to standard so folk went elsewhere. Sunday green fee was £15......I would have paid £30 if they got the condition right! Courses have fixed costs that have to be met regardless.... so you can cut fees all you like, but if total revenue falls, pop!!

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Dropping fees with a falling membership and rising costs is a recipe for closure. There is no guarantee dropping fees will attract members.

My club increased their fees by £50 the year before I joined and lost 75 members, they subsequently reduced their fees back by £55 pounds and gained 170 members, not all of the full category though I may add.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Membership is falling due to the cost of it increasing. For me, I'd take that risk of of say dropping a £800 to £600 and abolishing the staggered fees. But, I'd also offer free junior (under 11) membership. There can't be much finer a feeling then playing golf with your son or daughter.

All Members school age children have full free membership in the same category as their parents at our club (the only thing payable is the county union fees)

By full I mean once they have a CONGU handicap they are welcome in all competitions.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Its a helluva risk to take and budget for with no guarantee of anything. Drop £200 for lets say 500 members for round figures is a £100k deficit which would mean over 166 new members needing found just to stand still.

Crazy thinking