Are Memberships really value for money

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Absolute rubbish. I'm 25 and started paying as soon as I moved back from uni at 21. I don't know anyone who doesn't contribute anything who lives at home. Absolutely clueless.

Wouldn't say it's clueless at all I know all my older mates don't charge their adult kids a penny, they also get all their food and some even get their washing and ironing done too.

I appreciate not everyone gets free digs but on the same token not everyone pays either!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't say it's clueless at all I know all my older mates don't charge their adult kids a penny, they also get all their food and some even get their washing and ironing done too.

I appreciate not everyone gets free digs but on the same token not everyone pays either!

So many factors go into the accounts though

Insurance for cars for young people your looking say £2000 a year first couple years so that’s a chunk their wages gone

If their not charged rent happy days but most are

Then they are under pressure to save to afford a house under a system where the prices keep rising and rising so their deposit needs to get higher and higher

So I doubt a golf membership at say £1000 a year is something on the agenda when they want to move

I didn’t leave home until I was 27. In a well paid job but found soon as I had enough to get a 3 bed semi I’ve never had more disposable income because A got the wife’s income coming in aswell and B not saving to move

I’d say now at 31 I could justify a membership

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The cars will no doubt be leased. The older workers prob had the cash available to buy a car outright and make it last. Leasing has taken off now as people don’t have to throw down a massive chunk and will have the latest bmw over day a Ford because it works out £50 pcm difference which they will see oh its “only” £50 more and I get a nicer car (in there opinion ofc)

Love how every thread that comes down to money always ends up “if they didn’t do this and this they could afford this”

Not that it gets boring and tiresome ofc.

You can lease a cheaper option. You don't have to have an iPhone 50 or state of the art tablet on tick either. You don't have to have an Armani suit to look smart, yet a very high percentage of young ones in my place think it makes you a better person!!!

Chose wisely and still be able to afford golf.

£100 a month DD for golf or £150+ getting pissed on a Saturday night and feeling like poop for two days after!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
So many factors go into the accounts though

Insurance for cars for young people your looking say £2000 a year first couple years so that’s a chunk their wages gone

If their not charged rent happy days but most are

Then they are under pressure to save to afford a house under a system where the prices keep rising and rising so their deposit needs to get higher and higher

So I doubt a golf membership at say £1000 a year is something on the agenda when they want to move

I didn’t leave home until I was 27. In a well paid job but found soon as I had enough to get a 3 bed semi I’ve never had more disposable income because A got the wife’s income coming in aswell and B not saving to move

I’d say now at 31 I could justify a membership

Where are you getting this most are? Back this up please.

I could say most are not as I know my mates are not charging their kids. However I'm not niave enough to say this. I accept that some will, some won't.

My experience was I had vastly more in terms of disposable income when I was 20-30 than I had between 30-40!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can lease a cheaper option. You don't have to have an iPhone 50 or state of the art tablet on tick either. You don't have to have an Armani suit to look smart, yet a very high percentage of young ones in my place think it makes you a better person!!!

Chose wisely and still be able to afford golf.

£100 a month DD for golf or £150+ getting pissed on a Saturday night and feeling like poop for two days after!

A lot of young people just aren’t interesting in golf.

Most the young lads at work who don’t have family’s still play football every week and now their starting to feel the strain more and taking longer to recover their thinking of taking up golf instead

They never were interested in spending a weekend on the course when they could be over the park playing on a sat morning or watching a match on a season ticket

Not everyone has a fancy car, smart phone or gets drunk every week

And if they do it’s their choice what to do with their money

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where are you getting this most are? Back this up please.

I could say most are not as I know my mates are not charging their kids. However I'm not niave enough to say this. I accept that some will, some won't.

My experience was I had vastly more in terms of disposable income when I was 20-30 than I had between 30-40!

Quite simple every apprentice I worked with paid rent to their parents

All my friends paid rent to their parents

My wife paid rent to her parents
Her mates paid rent to their parents

Everyone’s experience is different but the clubs aren’t doing this for the sake of it.. there is obviously research that backs up their decision

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Quite simple every apprentice I worked with paid rent to their parents

All my friends paid rent to their parents

My wife paid rent to her parents
Her mates paid rent to their parents

Everyone’s experience is different but the clubs aren’t doing this for the sake of it.. there is obviously research that backs up their decision

I think the clubs do it to entice new people in. I don’t think it has anything to do with affordability.

In the grand scheme of things. The discount offered is usually around £30a month. Which as has been mentioned, could be covered by one less night out a month, or staying one cycle behind on phone upgrades, car etc.

Whilst I don’t agree that kids have it easy no with no rent etc, I also don’t think they’re all that hard up either. Those really struggling won’t be considering golf as a new hobby, whatever the discount.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I love my club and the people at it but next year I’ll be opting out of a 7 day membership. They do a flexi option but I need to see what it entities me to, if it doesn’t allow comp entries then it’s a year out. If I play once a week it’s approx £28 a round, then comp fees, swindle fees etc it’s adding up. Oh the costs of living in London, give me Kent or Sussex and I could find a nice course for half the money.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the clubs do it to entice new people in. I don’t think it has anything to do with affordability.

In the grand scheme of things. The discount offered is usually around £30a month. Which as has been mentioned, could be covered by one less night out a month, or staying one cycle behind on phone upgrades, car etc.

Whilst I don’t agree that kids have it easy no with no rent etc, I also don’t think they’re all that hard up either. Those really struggling won’t be considering golf as a new hobby, whatever the discount.

Also a lot of young people are put off by the impression of golf... can’t wear black socks! Lol

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site

Ever thought maybe they say they don't get them to pay because they think it sounds good?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Ever thought maybe they say they don't get them to pay because they think it sounds good?

No.

It's because they love and support their children and would rather they had a place they can call home until they are ready to go out and buy or rent. It aids them in saving for a mortgage. It gives them stability. It's what parents do for their kids.

What's sounds good about helping your children?

Genuinely what a stupid comment.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No.

It's because they love and support their children and would rather they had a place they can call home until they are ready to go out and buy or rent. It aids them in saving for a mortgage. It gives them stability. It's what parents do for their kids.

What's sounds good about helping your children?

Genuinely what a stupid comment.

Because a lot of the parents take the money they take as “rent” and save it for their children ... sensible old heads

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Looks like the winter here is going to be a wash out. redesign of some of the holes starts next week and it looks like we will be down to 12 holes until April.

Nairn Dunbar have offered us all winter membership though so not the end of the world

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well actually it is except the kids do the saving.

Which they do on top of the rent, then the parents surprise them with we saved this for you.. they are used to having money for rent and saving for things rather than oh it’s okay we can save because got no rent

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Pensioners, a moderate discount increasing with each year

Tough to know which line to pick out of that post but then this one jumped out!

Eh?!

Discounts for the people that play the course the most? Discounts for people who've more than likely paid off their mortgage? Discounts for people who more than likely don't have dependents in their household?

I hope you never get a spot on my committee!!

You're right I should have qualified the concept of a pensioner discount further to include length of membership, sorry

But thanks for your kind wishes, I hope your driver snaps this weekend :eek: