Appalling American Golf service!!

Guns

Club Champion
Visit site
I must admit, I have mainly have had good experiences with AG but I do travel 25 miles to another store rather than just 10 miles to the local because I found the guys at the local store a bit pushy and typically "this is the best" as previously mensioned.

Recently a guy I do know has got a job at AG and he gave me some insider info. All the boys he works with are single handicapper's and there are 2 pros at his shop. The guys are on commision and they do not make any money from Pro V's. Margins are higher on brands like Nicklaus even after discounts compared to the top brands, and this is why they encourage people to look at these.

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
Tiptree, Essex - Where they make the Jam!
www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk
Don't start me on AG. I have two stores both within 15 minutes from my front door however one of them is at a golf club so unless you're playing at the course you don't really go past or anywhere near it for that matter. I always did myself going to the one on a huge retail park where the guys are next to useless. I always say that I'll never use them again but it's easier for me to go there than the other one. I always make sure I'm 100% confident of what I want before entering the shop though as some of the advice I have been given in the past has been somewhat shoddy. For example,

Me: I'm lookin for a dozen balls, don't want to spend the earth but don't want something that's like playing with a rock.

Salesman: What's your handicap?

Me: 18

Salesman: you shouldn't play with anything other than ProV1's

I walked out of the shop.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think my loathing of AG is common knowledge on here. I have three close by (Bird Hills, Camberley and Slough) and I wouldn't rate any of the particularly highly although Camberley does have a good store manager who knows his stuff but then you end up hitting into a bay and relying on their computer. Not how I'd choose to buy my clubs.

Many of you may know I was offered a job in a local AG store about three years ago and so spent a lot of time going through commission targets etc. I was good friends with the store manager at the time (hence the offer) and so I have a very good idea of their margins on most gear, what they are told they can and can't push and where and on what they have discretion to apparently be seen to be offering a great deal. Knowing what I know about the staff they employ lets just say a shop assistant never hearing of Sunningdale would be the tip of a very big iceburg. Who's Jack Nicklaus sums it all up. Nicklaus gear even has their greatest mark up