Anyone playing with old clubs?

philsh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Evening all, been looking on ebay and that at old Ben hogan irons and was thinking about buying a set just because I like the look of them and started thinking about old clubs that reminded me about the clubs my nan and grandad used etc. So has anyone gone retro? I'm tempted to and yes at the start it will take some getting used and won't be as forgiving but couldn't that help me strike the ball better and then improve?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got my 08 TM Tour Preferred in the bag at the moment as several I25's back with Ping to have new weights put in having fallen out. Hit them lovely tonight on the practice ground. Wondering why I ever changed and tempted to keep them in for a bit

Svenska

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play with Callaway X-14 Pro Series irons that must be the best part of 15 years old? Thought about changing them at various times but never hit anything better so I wasted the money saved on a Leicester season ticket this season, shrewd.

chillicon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played with Hogan apex irons from 1988/89 all the way up to December last year. They were great clubs. If you are buying some, depending on their age, I would seriously consider new shafts in them.
I do love my new mizunos though.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't know if they would be classed as old, but I managed to swipe a set of Cleveland TA2 irons from a pro shop for £50 the other day. Love them. I think the oldest club I ever owned had a bamboo shaft.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i have a set of Mizuno TP Original blades from the 80's plus an equally, if not older set of Ben Sayers Ray Floyd Blades

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
in my travel bag i keep my vintage clubs and use then when on the road. there used to be a set of 1991 mizuno mp11 irons in it, now my disused 2004 mcgregor vip clubs are in it

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Just bought some 1989 Miura forged MacGregor PCB Tours off Ebay for £50. Rather pleased with them!

They might replace the MR-23s that are from 2001. So no problem with playing older irons!

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
No reason you couldn't play an old set of irons, or an ancient putter, but I think an old driver gives up more useful technology. An old 300cc driver isn't going to give the forgivness and/or distance of a current one, and the shaft is likely to be less good too.