Old guard golfers still ruining some clubs

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Played Bamburgh today which has a decent sized club house with one room full of tables closed off. Sign outside saying members and golf visitors only and 4 grumpy old members complaining about how visitors used to take over the clubhouse. Now it was me, my mate and 2 groups of members rattling around a clubhouse that must barely be making a profit when 100 yards down the road people were queueing to get in places.

I just couldn’t believe the pure short sightedness of it all! There was plenty of room for a members only area and room for visitors.

on the flip side the course is stunning and great fun to play. I’d recommend anyone to put it on their list if travelling through Northumberland.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of my old clubs, links course in a vibrant and popular Northumberland coastal village 😉, used to be members only in the clubhouse. Fine in its heyday but then the membership started to change, the bar was used less and less. Members still wanted a steward, still wanted all day food and drink as an option but weren't using it.

I joined the committee, pushed for access to all, great spot to pick up visitors. After a tough battle it happened. The complaints became louder and louder, bloomin visitors, blah blah, so the decision was reversed 😠. The bar reverted to empty to members didn't use it, no atmosphere. The steward was sacked, not replaced, bar times went part time. The old guard complained but were shown the finances and told to lump it.

After a few years of this decline, and after I'd left, some younger members joined the club, joined the committee. They opened the club again to non members, ignored the grumbles, 'do you want the clubhouse to die?', and now it is vibrant again. They pick up passing walkers, holidaymakers etc. They bring in much needed money, the bar has atmosphere again. It's been a hugely positive change, FiL is a member there so I still pop in occasionally with him.

I think bamburgh makes so much from visitor green fees that it doesn't need the bar money of non golfers but you are right, it is missing a huge trick in terms of both income and atmosphere. Eventually the old guard will die out though and then maybe they will make the same changes as my old club did.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
One of my old clubs, links course in a vibrant and popular Northumberland coastal village 😉, used to be members only in the clubhouse. Fine in its heyday but then the membership started to change, the bar was used less and less. Members still wanted a steward, still wanted all day food and drink as an option but weren't using it.

I joined the committee, pushed for access to all, great spot to pick up visitors. After a tough battle it happened. The complaints became louder and louder, bloomin visitors, blah blah, so the decision was reversed 😠. The bar reverted to empty to members didn't use it, no atmosphere. The steward was sacked, not replaced, bar times went part time. The old guard complained but were shown the finances and told to lump it.

After a few years of this decline, and after I'd left, some younger members joined the club, joined the committee. They opened the club again to non members, ignored the grumbles, 'do you want the clubhouse to die?', and now it is vibrant again. They pick up passing walkers, holidaymakers etc. They bring in much needed money, the bar has atmosphere again. It's been a hugely positive change, FiL is a member there so I still pop in occasionally with him.

I think bamburgh makes so much from visitor green fees that it doesn't need the bar money of non golfers but you are right, it is missing a huge trick in terms of both income and atmosphere. Eventually the old guard will die out though and then maybe they will make the same changes as my old club did.
Dunstanburgh? It’s exactly what I was thinking of when I posted this thread. Has a members lounge but open to the public elsewhere and thriving. Always busy every time we go.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It may be that the club is being stuffy, short sighted, or whatever - on the other hand it might be that the club's licencing position doesn't allow the club to cater for visitors. OK, that could be changed but the club may, or may not, think that's a viable business proposition. (I know we had some non-golf use, then found our licence didn't permit it - so we had to rectify things in part, and stop things in part. Turned out not to be viable (business-wise) to go the whole hog).

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played Bamburgh today which has a decent sized club house with one room full of tables closed off. Sign outside saying members and golf visitors only and 4 grumpy old members complaining about how visitors used to take over the clubhouse. Now it was me, my mate and 2 groups of members rattling around a clubhouse that must barely be making a profit when 100 yards down the road people were queueing to get in places.

I just couldn’t believe the pure short sightedness of it all! There was plenty of room for a members only area and room for visitors.

on the flip side the course is stunning and great fun to play. I’d recommend anyone to put it on their list if travelling through Northumberland.

My old club in the 1970's had the bar and dining room as jacket and tie only.
There was a lovely big pub 200 yards away on the entry road.
This was generally packed with 'jacketless' golfers.
The steward and I persuaded the club to build a conservatory onto the side of the building which would be served by a hatch at the back of the bar.
Within a year this became very busy with 'jacketless' golfers whilst the rooms that required a jacket to be worn were generally empty.

Reactions: sjw

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
My old club in the 1970's had the bar and dining room as jacket and tie only.
There was a lovely big pub 200 yards away on the entry road.
This was generally packed with 'jacketless' golfers.
The steward and I persuaded the club to build a conservatory onto the side of the building which would be served by a hatch at the back of the bar.
Within a year this became very busy with 'jacketless' golfers whilst the rooms that required a jacket to be worn were generally empty.
The signs are always obvious aren’t they.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Post lockdowns there was a vote about whether to retain on-line tee bookings, where previously no booking of times existed.

The vote was substantially in favour of keeping on-line booking.

Guess what? We were then told that there would be no tee bookings on Mondays and Wednesdays.... Seniors Comp days... someone clearly " had a word!"

Rest of week, times are bookable

Last edited:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Post lock down when most people couldn't meet indoors yet but could gather outside, the club took a small patio/ largish flower bed and turned it into a large patio with tables and benches. We already had a balcony which was very popular, but it was quite small.
The new patio was a master stroke. South facing, it arrived at the same time as a fabulous summer and was/is extremely popular with members and locals alike, so popular that we found ourselves walking towards the 18th green wondering if we would get a seat.
The club has always been proactive in encouraging both members and public to utilise it, initially with limited success, but for the last few years it has become more and more popular. Wedding, funerals, engagement parties etc. Last week there were 120 for Mother's Day Sunday lunch. It does this while maintaining its core role as a member's club.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Post lockdowns there was a vote about whether to retain on-line tee bookings, where previously no booking of times existed.

The vote was substantially in favour of keeping on-line booking.

Guess what? We were then told that there would be no tee bookings on Mondays and Wednesdays.... Seniors Comp days... someone clearly " had a word!"

Rest of week, times are bookable

I'd leave if I couldn't use the course for two days a week.

D

Deleted member 31467

It's amazing how many people complain about their clubs but they aren't prepared to stand for committee and have the chance to change things.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Never forget playing a course with a society (won't name) hot day walking into the bar from outside I was litterally removing my hat and one of the members pulled me aside and said no caps inside.

Yeah I'm removing it for giggle

Did smile when I saw him in the paper few months later for racial abuse on the tube and kicked out his golf club . Twonk

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Never forget playing a course with a society (won't name) hot day walking into the bar from outside I was litterally removing my hat and one of the members pulled me aside and said no caps inside.

Did smile when I saw him in the paper few months later for racial abuse on the tube and kicked out his golf club . Twonk
They live for it,probably the most excitement they get all week when they see someone walking towards the club house with a hat on.
Please don’t take it off 🤞🏻

Then go home and be under the thumb 😂

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

Shame he wasn’t banned from Every club!