Seahouses GC

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Following a winning bid on the H4H auction, myself and a friend headed to Seahouses yesterday for some links action.

The town of Seahouses is a lovely place, where I'd happily spend a long weekend with the family. Plenty of cafes, eateries and shops in town, which was bustling on this warm, sunny, calm Monday afternoon.

The Clubhouse
It's easy to be underwhelmed on entry to the club's car park, with the clubhouse presenting as a little tired- with its wooden exterior perhaps looking more shed-like than I was expecting. Inside, we were greeted at the bar and without even introducing ourselves, out came our booking form and we were given a warm welcome. Good start.

The clubhouse interior is, to be fair, more tired looking than the exterior. The bar has everything you need i.e. chairs, tables and cold drinks, but could really do with a 10k redecoration. Not easy to stump this kind of cash up, in this climate. Entry into the changing rooms is via an old style toilet area- again crying out for modernisation. Lastly, the changing room is adorned with old, wooden lockers and a single shower which was less than inviting. You get the point.

After the round, we enjoyed a pint (Fosters shandy- well priced) on the picnic tables outside the clubhouse.

The Course
The front 9 starts with an easy, short par 3, with "Captain's Charity" bunkers either side of the green- luckily I missed these and made a nice par.

13161361_10100704943330082_1899128313_o.jpg
A simple start

From there, we were a little confused as to where the fairway was, driving down the 17th, instead of the second. This was a short par 5 and with the links turf and calm conditions, my mate hit driver, then 9 iron towards the green. Length of the course (less than 6000 yards) is useful for those who lack in distance.

Following the 2nd, you cross a main road into a links field, away from the sea. Not much danger here and this is the time to start putting together a good round. A lovely par 3, with water left of the green is as exciting as this stretch of holes gets and whilst this part of the course was good fun, you yearn to get back over to the seaside which follows in the back 9.

As far as back 9s go, you'll struggle to beat Seahouses' views and golf holes for the money they ask.

13161581_10100704943315112_839338594_o.jpg
Sea you Jimmy

Some absolutely blinding holes, starting with the 10th- a short par 3 over the water. Carry to the green or reload. Good fun. From there, you travel around the course, taking in the views, only spoiled slightly by a lot of walkers and people eating their lunches (crisp packet scrunching is extremely loud during a backswing) on the many benches situated around the course. Nothing the GC can do- it's public land.

The pièce de résistance is, quite obviously, the 15th hole- the shortest hole on the course (approx 110 yards), but playing over the North Sea on to a green that runs heavily away from you. Be brave and take one less club than you think. Quite stunning.

13184586_10100704943185372_1157501114_o.jpg
Aim right, trust the draw

The greens were in excellent condition and rolled firm and true. The rough was light for this time of year, but I imagine the usual wind would provide adequate defence for the course- we were lucky to greet Seahouses during the calm.

Value for money

I won the voucher for £40, so at £20 per person, this was a complete bargain. However, this is only a saving of £14 pp, or, if you prefer twilight golf, you can get on for £20 each!

This course lacks any gravitas or prestige. I quite like this. This maintains Seahouses as a hidden gem, one that their members can be quietly proud of, without the need to corporatise what could be, albeit with investment, a premium-rate golf club experience.

13214964_10100704943210322_853345871_o.jpg
Flippin' 'eck!

Overall

Pros: Fun course, great views, superb pricing and top notch customer service.
Cons: Clubhouse requires upgrading, some features to the front 9 would help hold golfers' interests longer

I shall return in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played Seahouses once and have visited the last couple of years as my son has played a junior comp there. Agree about the clubhouse but there simply isn't the money there to revamp it. I don't see that changing I'm afraid. The course is always in good condition, the greens are very good. Fair play to them. You were lucky the wind wasn't up as that, like most links courses, is its big defence. Far more pleasant on a still day.

Bamburgh, just up the coast by a couple of miles, is a nicer course but you play more for it. A trio of Alnmouth(Foxton), Bamburgh and Goswick would make a cracking golf trip if you fancied returning.

Incidentally, never, ever go to Seahouses on a bank holiday weekend. Like Pavlovs dog people head there by default for chips and amusements and the traffic is horrific.