Anybody else entered the Nike Matchplay comps????

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Anyone else still going? Played my 2nd round match tonight in glorious sunshine against a guy from Bearwood Lakes. He started really slowly and I was 3 up after 3, after that though it was very close. He got it back to all square at one point but then lost 2 balls in the space of 4 holes, that was enough for me to to close it out 2&1. Not looked at the card in any detail but I think I played pretty steady golf, not quite to handicap but close enough.

On to the 3rd round! Home advantage again, which seems to count for quite a lot. All 9 of the completed ties so far in my group have been won by the home player. Playing either a 22 handicapper from Mapledurham or someone off 4 from East Berks, think I know which one I'm rooting for :).

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I lost my 2nd round match to the guy who beat Fundy in the first round, lost at home on the 20th hole after having a putt do a 360 lip out on the 18th which would have won the match for me, still it was a good match on a virtually deserted course. There's always next year.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I lost my 2nd round match to the guy who beat Fundy in the first round, lost at home on the 20th hole after having a putt do a 360 lip out on the 18th which would have won the match for me, still it was a good match on a virtually deserted course. There's always next year.

Unlucky AAC, least you gave him a better game than I did :)

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Still hanging in there, I won my second round match last night 2&1... I was 3 up with 5 to go and had a chance to win the 14th but horror first put seen that hole halved in 4's. What a time for a 3 putt.... Conditions were utter gash, I was meant to have the home advantage and we were booked in but because of the rain I called the club to make sure course was still open. Pro said it was hanging in there but because of the weather they had to bring the club champ knockout matches forward so I'd have to play from the 10th!! Called my oppo and we both agreed that I'd go to his to play it.

Scraped through and into the 3rd round where I am playing away from home, at the same club I just played yesterday !! Two guys from the same course in the same half of the draw but don't know each other. At least when I go to play the next round I've already had a practice on there. :)

Will need to play better though or I'll be oot next time......

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Still hanging in there, I won my second round match last night 2&1... I was 3 up with 5 to go and had a chance to win the 14th but horror first put seen that hole halved in 4's. What a time for a 3 putt.... Conditions were utter gash, I was meant to have the home advantage and we were booked in but because of the rain I called the club to make sure course was still open. Pro said it was hanging in there but because of the weather they had to bring the club champ knockout matches forward so I'd have to play from the 10th!! Called my oppo and we both agreed that I'd go to his to play it.

Scraped through and into the 3rd round where I am playing away from home, at the same club I just played yesterday !! Two guys from the same course in the same half of the draw but don't know each other. At least when I go to play the next round I've already had a practice on there. :)

Will need to play better though or I'll be oot next time......

Well done matey. Keep it going

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well, that's me done in the Nike for this year. Got myself well and truly thumped by a guy from East Berks who plays off 5, and showed me today why he is off 5. I didn't play very well, but there were only 2 or 3 holes where I handed it to him on a plate. The rest of the time, he just played some very good golf, I don't think he missed a fairway off the tee. When he counted his score at the end, he was 6 over gross so one over handicap, to do that off the back tees on a brand new course is pretty good going. Hope he gets through the final qualifying round, if you can go to two away courses giving away 18 and then 15 shots and win both ties then you deserve it. Good playing partner as well, we had a good time together and some good banter.

My first time this year in one of these national comps, I will definitely be entering again next year. Only 3 matches in the end but 3 good opponents and I've enjoyed it a lot, next year there will hopefully be a couple of decent away ties. Wonder how big the group of entrants actually is, it turned out that my opponent today has played my opponent from the last round (from Bearwood Lakes) in a previous year.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say the groups aren't that big in these kind of comps. I played the same bloke two years in a row in the early rounds of the golfcare comp down here in Kent.

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
HID and his partner are through to the regional finals. First time HID has played in this.

Ahh superb news Ann. Pass on my congratulations to HID, seems like a smashing pairing they've got going on. Let us all know when it is!

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ahh superb news Ann. Pass on my congratulations to HID, seems like a smashing pairing they've got going on. Let us all know when it is!

Cheers Matt, will do. Simons birdie putt on the 18th won the match which got them through. It's on the 20th October at Delamere Forest.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just got the draw for this year, although now it is called the Titliest/Footjoy.

I have a bye in the first round but will play Birchy in the 2nd round if he wins his first round match.

Just noticed it has Birchy's handicap as 18!!!!

Last edited:

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just got the draw for this year, although now it is called the Titliest/Footjoy.

I have a bye in the first round but will play Birchy in the 2nd round if he wins his first round match.

Maybe they think I deserve a few sympathy shots :D

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

He shows up as 12.5 when I log in Louise. Their system is crap though. I entered me and Birchy and Birchy wanted his place as the home course (easier probably :D) . I then rang em so I could enter the singles and I can't. If I change my home course for the singles, it changes it for the pairs. Poor do.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well that is daft, surely pairs and singles are different.

If Birchy wins I will have to play him at Davyhulme. shame as I would like to see how he manages at mine, he still has to win at Sale first though.