Any members of Puttenham in here?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's a group of four of us that are contemplating joining in April on their Points Membership scheme.
We're currently at Milford, on a similar scheme, but Puttenham is a whole bunch more expensive, albeit a better course.
We play Milford most weeks and haven't encountered a temporary green all winter .............. which is a huge plus.
Also, the guys at Milford are a real friendly bunch.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Slime!

Im at MerristWood, as a crown member I’ve played Milford a couple
of times and enjoyed it. The 17th killed me, so pretty, couldnt get distance right and couldn’t hit the bloody green for love or money 😂

Im a bit sick of the lack of interest from the crown group as a whole really, and while my membership runs to October I’m thinking of finding somewhere new this season. Happy to pay the extra for a course that’s in decent condition and is well looked after

Puttenham looks really nice, their online course tour makes it look really tight - just wondered how it played? Also, can’t see much in the way of info on the driving range and practice greens. I’m very local so think I need to go and take a look.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Hi Slime!

Im at MerristWood, as a crown member I’ve played Milford a couple
of times and enjoyed it. The 17th killed me, so pretty, couldnt get distance right and couldn’t hit the bloody green for love or money 

Im a bit sick of the lack of interest from the crown group as a whole really, and while my membership runs to October I’m thinking of finding somewhere new this season. Happy to pay the extra for a course that’s in decent condition and is well looked after

Puttenham looks really nice, their online course tour makes it look really tight - just wondered how it played? Also, can’t see much in the way of info on the driving range and practice greens. I’m very local so think I need to go and take a look.

Not a member but probably the course I play most often outside of my own.

There's a driving range and putting green so that's covered. It is very tight, extremely different to MW in that regard! There are a couple of holes I'm not massively keen on, but it's a huge step up from MW that I also play a few times a year. For a start, you'll be able to play in winter without a canoe, and the greens are so much faster than Crown courses. As a private course the care over presentation is there more than a profit driven course IMO. Overall it's a really nice track.

My only reservation would be regarding the membership, which I understand even for a private club is very old. That may or not be fine with you of course but would be something questioning if it's important to you.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played it with CVG's society last year.
Nice little club with a few quirky holes.
The huge oak tree in the middle of the first fell down making the tee shot easier but you still have to launch it pretty high to make the short stuff!
From what I remember it's a nice clubhouse and a nice setting.
We played 9 in the morning then 18 after lunch and it made more sense 2nd time around the front 9. A couple of holes are far from ordinary.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Been a (very long) while, but used to play it as part of reciprocal matches.

Indeed, a bit 'quirky' but it'll keep you fit!

Was always in very good nick when I played it, even the greens that were shaded by quite mature trees. Finishes with a Par 3, which might be a bit disappointing for some.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There's a group of four of us that are contemplating joining in April on their Points Membership scheme.
We're currently at Milford, on a similar scheme, but Puttenham is a whole bunch more expensive, albeit a better course.
We play Milford most weeks and haven't encountered a temporary green all winter .............. which is a huge plus.
Also, the guys at Milford are a real friendly bunch.

What's the latest with Milford? Have they changed the layout and introduced the changes that were muted about last year

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
What's the latest with Milford? Have they changed the layout and introduced the changes that were muted about last year

The work is underway but it'll be a couple of years before it'd be playable.
Unfortunately, the 17th is going to go but another par 3 is due to slot in with, apparently, an island green!
It's still a bit in the hush hush stage and details are still a bit sketchy.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of the three courses mentioned here, Puttenham is definitely the best with Milford coming in second.
Puttenham does have some super holes .................... and some quirky ones but the thing I don't like is finishing with a par 3.
It's also got a patio overlooking the car park rather than the golf course.
It is a good course though.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Of the three courses mentioned here, Puttenham is definitely the best with Milford coming in second.
Puttenham does have some super holes .................... and some quirky ones but the thing I don't like is finishing with a par 3.
It's also got a patio overlooking the car park rather than the golf course.
It is a good course though.

thanks Slime.

A little bit bit concerned if Puttenham is very old in terms of its members. Might stump up the £200 for 6 weeks trial membership once the weather sorts itself out.

Did you look look at any others in the area?

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not a member also, but just got back into golf, currently based in Guildford, but possibly moving to nearer Liphook soon.

Good to know there are a few others in the area, once I get back into the groove of things, might see if anyone fancies a game.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Was temporary member at Puttenham
Course far to short also new holes are on clay so equally muddy as MW.

Very old membership. If you play a roll up expect to be at the course for 8 hours.

Only plus for me was barmaid who was a stunner.

I joined MW in the end far better option for me.

If you have the cash go for Farnham Sands. Still old membership but much better course.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Very old membership. If you play a roll up expect to be at the course for 8 hours.

If you have the cash go for Farnham Sands. Still old membership but much better course.

Not quite as old a membership as it used to be - and recently had quite a big influx of mid20s-mid30s lads. Mind you - at least one member can be a right pain in the backside...but he's actually OK - I think ;)

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Heard that re Puttenham being a short course Parky, mate of mine used to call it Pitch&Puttenham (although he was a pretty long hitter)

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not quite as old a membership as it used to be - and recently had quite a big influx of mid20s-mid30s lads. Mind you - at least one member can be a right pain in the backside...but he's actually OK - I think ;)

Lovely course and would consider it but just a bit pricey for me to justify it Hogan

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site

Hey Parky!

I thought you went to the Army course? MW ticks all the boxes for me I just wish they would look after it better. Its
only when you play another course do you realise how bad it is.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My memories of Puttenham from many years ago and from current memories of Farnham and the Hogs Back is the course is in an area where the rainstorms and lightning tend to get 'trapped' by the surrounding terrain.

I always enjoyed playing Guildford

marshhr

Visit site
Just wondered if there were any members from Puttenham Golf Club on here?
Hi

I've been a member at Puttenham for a few years. Tight course particularly holes 10-14. Not at all easy. In the last 2 years we have had a Pro Am and out of 34 pros only 4 broke par! In summer the greens are as good as any course in the area. Played a match last week against Farnham and they said our greens significantly better than theirs even at this time of year. Just spent £60K on drainage for the 3 holes that have small clay belt running through them. All other holes on sand an always dry. Speak to Tim Coombes or Gary Simmons at the club and they will do you a deal for a trial round.

Cheers

howard