Any members of Puttenham in here?

3puttpercy

Visit site
Played there a couple of times with a member.
The older members appear not that friendly.
A friend joined, and found if you hadn't been a member fore at least 20 years you weren't accepted.
He left after one year.
Course is very well maintained head green keeper top bloke.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
thanks Slime.

A little bit bit concerned if Puttenham is very old in terms of its members. Might stump up the £200 for 6 weeks trial membership once the weather sorts itself out.

Did you look look at any others in the area?

We opted for Milford as we knew it drained very well in the winter.
I was an original member there back in 1993 but let my membership lapse after a few years as I was only playing about four times a year!
Four of us are playing Puttenham on Sunday, I'll let you know what I think of it.

Slime.

marshhr

Visit site
Glad you think course is well maintained. It is one of the best around.Sorry you didn't find some members friendly but my experience is it is a very inclusive club. Many roll ups and welcome to join any of them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Glad you think course is well maintained. It is one of the best around.Sorry you didn't find some members friendly but my experience is it is a very inclusive club. Many roll ups and welcome to join any of them.

It's a two way street in any club though isn't it. You have to sometimes put yourself out there a bit and make an effort to get involved with the roll ups and get your face known but the members have to be willing to let others in and not be too cliquey. Sadly there are some that still are unwelcoming to newbies.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Good news about the money spent on drainage. When was the work done ?

The practise putting green was due to be levelled off at some point.

For me the course should offer free range balls to members as I believe Farnham do that now.

It's a pretty course and generally good condition. Can't argue about the greens being good condition.

Some lovely holes on there especially 16th.

Membership is older but that's good if your retired and want a playable course that's not a huge slog and you want to get away from her indoors for a protracted length of time. I just don't know where a guy in mid 40's who wants to play in week aswell as occasional weekends fits in.

The pro is very nice and also the members. Definitely would look at this course when I retire but not really for now unless they offered a bite your hand off membership deal.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Lovely course and would consider it but just a bit pricey for me to justify it Hogan

I would be surprised if Sands membership is that much more than Puttenham's. All the clubs in the Surrey/Hants Borders area (other than Hankley) tend to keep an eye on each other subs as the market for golf club membership in the area is very competitive. I know that Sands has quite good age-stepped membership rates if you are fortunate to be young enough to fall into that category.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Lived the first 20 years of my life near Guildford GC. Always enjoyable to play. No idea what the membership is like these days. Was quite mixed when I knew it... some decent folk and some right wombats! But I'd play there over Puttenham all other things being equal. Mother in law close to Puttenham so we often have a game there on visits... always in decent condition and natives always quite ok.

Ten years ago a company wanted me to relocate back to Surrey.... a mate fixed me up getting in to Walton Heath.... but when we say the cost of decent housing, even WH didn't tempt me "home."

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was at Puttenham today and played with three mates.
The course was in good nick but there are a few quirky holes, as has been mentioned previously.
It finishes with a par 3, the patio overlooks the car park and I was aware of the traffic running alongside some the 17th & 18th. Traffic is also audible from the A31 or A3, I'm not sure which.
Although it's undoubtedly a better course than Milford, I just get a slightly friendlier vibe from there and, as a result, we have decided to stay at Milford for another year.
We all pretty much felt the same way.
I hope this helps, J55TTC.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Good review.

Hopefully going to play at Milford on Tuesday. Does it drain well as the back 9 at MW is still very wet.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good review.
Hopefully going to play at Milford on Tuesday. Does it drain well as the back 9 at MW is still very wet.

It does generally drain very well although it does get a bit soggy in patches by two or three greens.
Let us know what you think, please.

marshhr

Visit site
Good news about the money spent on drainage. When was the work done ?

The practise putting green was due to be levelled off at some point.

For me the course should offer free range balls to members as I believe Farnham do that now.

It's a pretty course and generally good condition. Can't argue about the greens being good condition.

Some lovely holes on there especially 16th.

Membership is older but that's good if your retired and want a playable course that's not a huge slog and you want to get away from her indoors for a protracted length of time. I just don't know where a guy in mid 40's who wants to play in week aswell as occasional weekends fits in.

The pro is very nice and also the members. Definitely would look at this course when I retire but not really for now unless they offered a bite your hand off membership deal.

Drainage has been done over this winter. We have an additional putting green that is flat as well as the one by the first tee which reflects the greens on the course. I play with a group of c 25 on a Saturday morning with more in 30-40 age group than 50+. Only greens better are Hindhead

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Drainage has been done over this winter. We have an additional putting green that is flat as well as the one by the first tee which reflects the greens on the course. I play with a group of c 25 on a Saturday morning with more in 30-40 age group than 50+. Only greens better are Hindhead
Bold statement, seeing as Liphook's greens are better than Hindhead's.:thup: