Any members of Puttenham in here?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Ok, Native Burpham/Guildfordian here, born in St Luke's, wife from Elstead... but lived away for 30 years so way out of date...:D (and I was predominately a cricketer when I lived there so was a golfing newbie who played with his mates at Merrow...or Silvermere/Hoebridge when they didn't sign me in!)

I don't like courses ending on a par 3, even if its a decent hole! (absolutely no idea why!!) But I am not clear why anyone would choose Milford over Puttenham. We play there on Mum in law visits in the summer and it's always in great shape. The walk between a couple of holes is a bit annoying but the rest makes up for it! Unless Milford improved massively since I was last there about 5 or 6 years ago. Not that Milford was poor, it was just new(ish)

No one has mentioned West Surrey. Never played it myself, but always had a good reputation. Is that full or mega expensive... depending on which side of town you live/work, I'd be over to Hindhead or Hankley! :D

Last edited:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Ok, Native Burpham/Guildfordian here, born in St Luke's, wife from Elstead... but lived away for 30 years so way out of date...:D (and I was predominately a cricketer when I lived there so was a golfing newbie who played with his mates at Merrow...or Silvermere/Hoebridge when they didn't sign me in!)

I don't like courses ending on a par 3, even if its a decent hole! (absolutely no idea why!!) But I am not clear why anyone would choose Milford over Puttenham. We play there on Mum in law visits in the summer and it's always in great shape. The walk between a couple of holes is a bit annoying but the rest makes up for it! Unless Milford improved massively since I was last there about 5 or 6 years ago. Not that Milford was poor, it was just new(ish)

No one has mentioned West Surrey. Never played it myself, but always had a good reputation. Is that full or mega expensive... depending on which side of town you live/work, I'd be over to Hindhead or Hankley! :D

West Surrey gets very wet in the winter, but is lovely in the summer, and a better course than Puttenham and Farnham in my opinion. They are doing a lot of work to the course at the moment, new bunkers and hole shaping mainly, so in a couple of years it will be even better. Lovely clubhouse, and imagine it is the same sort of costs as Farnham.

Hankley would be around £6500 to join.:eek: imagine Hindhead whilst being cheaper would still be expensive compared to other courses previously mentioned.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played Liphook a few times and never really warmed to it. Perhaps because I nearly got run over crossing the road...! And it's in Hampshire ;)

Played Puttenham twice and it's not for me - I'm with IanM in that a course ending on a Par 3 isn't my bag.

Milford is a good track but not in the same league as Hindhead etc.

Wet Surrey, as we locals call it, is improving. Far less wet in winter than it used to be, but still gets muddy. Hindhead drains well, yet still suffers when it properly rains. Greens at the Head are way better than West Surrey. I like Hankley, but don't love it. Not sure why.

Last edited:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Will have to give West Surrey a go in the summer then, 5-10 mins from Chateau Mum-in-law!

Not even a week's wages in West Surrey! :whistle:
Make sure you are fit, as the 17th at West Surrey is a real hike up a mountain. Only steeper hole I have played is 18th at Stoneham.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I was at Puttenham today and played with three mates.
The course was in good nick but there are a few quirky holes, as has been mentioned previously.
It finishes with a par 3, the patio overlooks the car park and I was aware of the traffic running alongside some the 17th & 18th. Traffic is also audible from the A31 or A3, I'm not sure which.
Although it's undoubtedly a better course than Milford, I just get a slightly friendlier vibe from there and, as a result, we have decided to stay at Milford for another year.
We all pretty much felt the same way.
I hope this helps, J55TTC.

Thanks Slime! apreciate that you came back to update!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
While West surrey will no doubt be on another level to MW, theres a couple of issues, the main one being its a bit of a trek and popping in for a quick 9 could take a while with the drive down.

But thanks for the suggestion, again, its appreciated.