Annual review of handicaps

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well that all depends on whether you see the future of the game as an inclusive or exclusive one.

From a principle perspective I see no difference between the allocation of 28 and 36 - a nd 37 to 54 is just an extension of that.

I completely accept that any clubs are entitled to wear the exclusive badge associated with knowing better; there are loads of battlegrounds waiting to be claimed to that end!

FWIW I believe we have 2 members with current CONGU handicaps of 28 who should be higher, not a great proportion, but I also know we have a very significant number of members who have never chosen to get one - A percentage of whom didn't believe they were good enough. That's not healthy.

Which ever way you look at it 28 is already an arbitrary number, arguably as is 18, 24, 36 etc despite the apparent logic associated with 18 hole courses.

Not the first to say it, but needs to be said again - excellent post. How very sad that anyone disagrees. Lets keep more people in golf and attract others. Age or disability should not prevent those from competing. The changes allow for this to be a possibility.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wow!
A tad elitist there methinks....
If someone gains a handicap of 40 isn't it because they're not very good at the game and therefore need 40 shots in order to compete?
You could argue that instead of 28, make the maximum 18 and anyone who can't play to it needs to spend time on the practice ground to get better
Hell, let's make it 10 or even 6....
A handicap is a handicap
It's the number you need to be competitive.
Why does it matter if it's 1 or 50?
We all know that it's not only high handicappers who are slow, plenty of every handicap level could use a kick up the arse.
I know an older guy who's Society handicap is 53 or 54 - why? Because he's crap!
But he loves to play and does so, trundling along in the mid 20's with the occasional 30+ and some -20.....
If he joined a club and got 28 he'd be lucky to break 20 every time he goes out.
I'm sure he's going to love that.

Golf is for everyone, regardless of ability/handicap

Bravo. Excellent post. I play in a mates society and most only play 3-4 times a year but it's a chance for them to come together from many different locations in the UK to have a game, a meal and a catch up. Most can't get anywhere near 30 points even off 28 but they are forced to play off that mark. The new handicaps will let them find their true level and while winning and competing isn't the aim of the day, it will make the day a more level playing field for all rather than one or two who do play more regularly winning

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bravo. Excellent post. I play in a mates society and most only play 3-4 times a year but it's a chance for them to come together from many different locations in the UK to have a game, a meal and a catch up. Most can't get anywhere near 30 points even off 28 but they are forced to play off that mark. The new handicaps will let them find their true level and while winning and competing isn't the aim of the day, it will make the day a more level playing field for all rather than one or two who do play more regularly winning

Why are they forced to play of 28? If it's a society you can do what you like.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is the game exclusive right now because the max HC is 28 ? Don’t believe it is - do people not take up the game because of the max HC is only 28 ?

So what’s their reasoning ? What’s the back drop to increase the HC level to such a high level ?

Right now two of the biggest problems in Golf are - cost and pace of play - what do you think allowing such HC will add to the pace of play ? Someone getting 40 shots for example. Also how does it add to the game when you have people who will be able to get over 40 shots against others in Matchplay ! How does it encourage people to strive to as low as possible when the game increases the higher celling.

For me it’s one of the worst changes they have done - I haven’t seen one reason for it to change that has any sort of sense . We haven’t needed the club HC and the game in this country doesn’t need the HC to go so high - I actually think it will put a lot of people entering comps.

If someone doesn’t believe he is good enough to get a HC of 28 - the answer shouldn’t be to increase the HC it should be for him to look to improve to enable himself to get a HC of 28.

By my club putting HC limits I’m very confident it won’t affect our membership levels or put people off joining clubs

Agree one hundred per cent with this. Great Post. We didn't need the club handicap, and now we've got this we don't need. Why couldn't they have just left it alone? I suppose they have to justify themselves and their salaries.