Amusing Moments on the Golf Course

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
At Aylesbury Lark, before it was bulldozed by HS2, there was a shortish par 3 with a stream running about 30 yards in front of the tee.
It was raining and it was Fragger's turn to play.
I can't remember if he made contact with the ball or not but the club slipped out of his hands, did a couple of somersaults and landed, grip up, in the middle of the stream....
One of several occasions involving Fragger where I've come close to dying of laughter...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
At Aylesbury Lark, before it was bulldozed by HS2, there was a shortish par 3 with a stream running about 30 yards in front of the tee.
I can't remember if he made contact with the ball or not but the club slipped out of his hands, did a couple of somersaults and landed, grip up, in the middle of the stream....
One of several occasions involving Fragger where I've come close to dying of laughter...
I assume he didn't wade in a pull it like Excalibur

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Last December, away weekend at East Sussex National. One of our group got a little too close to a water hazard when retrieving their ball and ended up standing thigh-high in the water and failed to get their ball back too. That was the 10th hole and they played until the end!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember once at Bushey Hall, my mate hit a kind of worm-burner low missile of a drive. Next to the tees they had these little wooden boxes for collecting broken tees in - his ball went straight at this little box that was next to the red tee marker and smashed it into a hundred pieces.

One time at Rickmansworth, we're about to play the 12th but a guy coming down 11 has hooked his ball near our tee box so we all wait for him to come over and chip it back. He doesn't get enough height on his chips and it loudly smacks straight into the sign that has the hole information on the tee box. "I think that's a sign" he says before picking his ball up. Not sure if he meant the pun or not, but he didn't mind us laughing at his misfortune so fair play to him!

• Haha
Reactions: sjw
D

Deleted member 15344

We were playing a club match against Buckingham

In front was the captain - they have a stream running through the course , one of the tees was at the top of a valley , he parked his trolley by the tee , but forgot to put the break on

Second later seeing this trolley hurtling down the valley as it reach the stream there seems to be a little ramp and the trolley took off landing with a great thump in the stream

• Haha
Reactions: sjw

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
We arrived at our 4th tee one Sunday morning during a comp only to find two of the group in front lying on their bellies leaning over the railway sleepers into a pond by the green...seemingly fishing around for golf balls. The 4th is a log tough par 3 with water all around and play often backs up here, so the sight of blokes fishing for balls is not one that you want to see as you arrive on the tee.

A shout from our group of "stop effing about and get a move on" was met by an equally vehement response, and the two blokes kept fishing around with their clubs.

About a minute later there's a shout of success and the two blokes start crawling backwards, obviously hauling something out of the pond.... a Powakaddy... wheels still turning!!

The owner of said PK, once he'd apparently ascertained any valuables/keys were still in the bag, started back up the hill to the tee to return to the clubhouse....water draining from every pocket, orifice and damaged seam on the bag. As he got up to us (he was a well known club member) we started ripping him to shreds...the final insult coming when one of the lads noticed the guys GPS unit clipped to the side of the bag was still working, pointed this out and then asked..."did it tell you how deep it was"?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
View attachment 51952

From memory, i laughed less thean the other 3 at my clubs when we stopped for a beer and susage roll at JCB!
We had a guy with a trolley and similar to this it ended up in the pond by our 18th. Thing was he had those old fashioned individual tubes you could buy to separate the clubs. As the bag entered the water these all came out as if torpedos being fired

Visit site
14th hole at Burnham & Berrow

I’ve missed the green left, down the big slope. I then thinned my wedge up onto and through the green, it’s rolled down the big dune the other side.

I’ve run up with my trolley, my partner has unbeknown to me, then rested his own trolley against mine.

I proceed to thin another wedge shot, back to position A! “Oh, the group behind is waiting already”… and I push my trolley off to the spot nearest the next tee, ran down and chipped on… Walked up to the green and my mate and his bag is nowhere to be seen? I suddenly hear him shouting and swearing…

Once I moved my trolley…His trolley has rolled off the big dune and is 15ft away at the bottom, upside down, clubs everywhere, possessions everywhere, and my mate is like a mountain goat on the side of this dune trying to pick his things up!

😂😂😂🫣

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Played at Goswick once with an inexperienced golfer. On one hole he had an unplayable lie &, as was the the at the time, dropped one over his shoulder. Came to play it & couldn't find it. After a brief search it was discovered in the hood of his waterproof jacket. His name was Pratt & he lived up to it.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is that the one that used to be off fairford leys estate?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
My father tells the story of a golfing pal, nicknamed, ironically, "Happy Hal" Playing in a fourball he lost a ball on the 4th hole &, after a brief search, his three companions walked onto the green & putted out while Hal continued to search. They then proceeded to the 5th tee while Hal carried on searching. They shrugged shoulders & played on as a threeball. The 14th tee is adjacent to the 4th green. When they reached it their friend was still searching & didn't even join them for the remainder of the round. Whether he eventually found the ball is not recorded.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have a mate who is a bit of a club chucker, been known to have to climb a tree to retrieve clubs. On one occasion, he duffed a wedge shot and threw his club towards his bag which was towards the next tee. Unfortunately it went into the long grass and was never seen again

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep...now just a muddy track that HS2 use to get to where they need to be..
Yeah I saw, was never really loved but the layout was okay. I sometimes got a game with the young pro there. He is now or was at Oxford American Golf

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yeah I saw, was never really loved but the layout was okay. I sometimes got a game with the young pro there. He is now or was at Oxford American Golf
Agreed...as soon as HS2 announced they were coming through they stopped all investment - well you would wouldn't you.
Always thought the layout was great..just didn't get enough cash thrown at it.

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
There’s a road behind the first tee at my gaff, one lad in a match somehow hit the ball from the roof of his driver and the ball went backwards onto the road.