Amusing Moments on the Golf Course

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A past captain was renowned for berating his clubs or the ball whenever he duffed a shot or had a bad score on a hole.
On this occasion he was on a flood protection bank intending to chip on to the green out of 6" rough. He duffed 3 attempts and immediately turned and kicked his bag so hard it fell and rolled down the bank into the river. He the flounced off swearing like a trooper. Someone him asked about his bag and clubs and he just one fingered in the direction of the river and walked back to the clubhouse. We shrugged and carried on.
When we got back we saw him running back to the hole he had left and asked what he was doing. Rather shamefacedly he said when he got back to his car he realised he had put his car and house keys in a pocket of his bag. Fortunately, at that point the river was only waist deep. But he is now a legend in his own lifetime.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Was playing in Florida and paired up with an American gentleman.
He played a shot from a greenside bunker which hit the flag (not the pin, the actual flag).
The flag wrapped itself around the ball, the pin bent backwards and then flipped the ball back, landing right at his feet.

The Fader

Visit site
Playing in a pro-am, the pro we were allocated was a first class arrogant wannabee.

No interaction with me or my 2 guest clients. My employer has paid a not insubstantial fee to participate, which of course generated
the purse the pro's were playing for. When asked if he could give a few pointers to one of my clients who was struggling - his response
was "I'm not copulating giving free tips. But you can book a lesson with me later in the week" Yeah right!!

Anyway much to our enjoyment after that he had a horror day on the greens culminating with a miss from 2 feet on the 18th. At which point he hurled
his putter over his shoulder in disgust. Now for those who know Brough GC - there is large tree close to the back of the green which is where said putter
came to rest. Having tapped in with his wedge he scurried off without shaking hands. As we wandered back to the clubhouse we watched him
try and fail miserably to climb the tree. Our well earned drink on the patio was further enhanced watching him borrow a ladder from the GK's that wasn't long
enough for the task in hand.

Last seen heading off to his car minus one very expensive Bettinardi putter.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My mate still claims he has never laughed so hard as when I was playing par 3 18th at our old course.

130 yards up hill over a pond. Back then didn't hit as far so 6 iron pulled

Struck it pure over the tree "that's going to be a good one"

Alas when your begining you can catch them well sometimes and the distance balloons

Screenshot_2024-02-20-07-05-50-10_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Safe to say the waiter at the club wasn't happy

Luckily I had taken out golf care 3 days before as that cost me £220 to fix on a Saturday

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My mate still claims he has never laughed so hard as when I was playing par 3 18th at our old course.

130 yards up hill over a pond. Back then didn't hit as far so 6 iron pulled

Struck it pure over the tree "that's going to be a good one"

Alas when your begining you can catch them well sometimes and the distance balloons

Safe to say the waiter at the club wasn't happy

Luckily I had taken out golf care 3 days before as that cost me £220 to fix on a Saturday
Serves you right really - 130 yards you should have been hitting a three quarter lob wedge, not 6 iron!

Asian Dawn

Visit site
I've seen someone let their trolley roll down a hill and it took a detour into a lake. Also seen a guy leaning over to retrieve his ball from a pond and go head-over-heels into the water.

But the funniest thing I have still ever seen on a golf course was this wannabe expert who played off about 14 and thought he knew everything. He had seen me play a 3-wood chip from a fringe and leave it dead and commented that he was great at that shot. Near the end of the round, he is 40 yards from the green and pulls out his 3-wood. Hits it way too hard, through the green, over the back and out of bounds. The other three of us in the group just lost it laughing and he stormed off back to the clubhouse not to be seen again for a month.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played at Beverley GC a few years ago and joined up with a couple of other guys as I was solo. Beverley is a pretty unique course as the whole course is on common land, greens roped off to keep the cows off, people having a picnic on the fairways, flying kites in front of greens - just weird. I can't remember which hole we were on, but there was a fairly short but very steep grassy hill down from the tee box, one of the guys got a bit too much momentum up going down the hill and ended up running down it with his push trolley, half way down the hill the front wheel drops in a rabbit hole and the trolley stopped dead, the handle hit him midriff and he slowly arced up and over to land flat on his back with clubs and golf balls scattered on the grass around him. Not sure who struggled to get their breath back most, him from the ground contact or me from laughing.

• Haha
Reactions: sjw

cunnini

Visit site
25 odd years ago before my 23 year hiatus from playing, in the North West our club championship had nett and gross prizes, played over saturday and sunday. After Saturday i'm leading the net, (off 9), but not in last 18 for gross, so i can play with my mates.

Saturday evening my wife (who doesn't know much about golf) gets interested in how i'm playing and says she'll caddy for me Sunday, despite long discussion about bag heavy, course undulating etc she stubbornly refuses to back down.

Sunday on the first tee, hit a 3 wood down to my usual landing spot on left of fairway, walking down the path to the fairway within 100 yards I'm carrying my bag - "this bag's really heavy, what have you got in it?", and L and P (the day's playing partners but both are friends/drinking buddies of both of us) starting to smile. I get to my ball, pull out 9 iron or wedge to hit to the green. OB all the way down the right, including right of the green...... so i shank it OB.

Wife looks at me deadpan, and says sincerely "why did you not hit it onto the green?" - L&P end up on the floor rolling around with laughter - i drop and replay - shank OB again! First 3 holes are OB right, and i go out in 9, 9,7 - pars 4,5,3..... needless to say, i didn't win anything that day

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
25 odd years ago before my 23 year hiatus from playing, in the North West our club championship had nett and gross prizes, played over saturday and sunday. After Saturday i'm leading the net, (off 9), but not in last 18 for gross, so i can play with my mates.

Saturday evening my wife (who doesn't know much about golf) gets interested in how i'm playing and says she'll caddy for me Sunday, despite long discussion about bag heavy, course undulating etc she stubbornly refuses to back down.

Sunday on the first tee, hit a 3 wood down to my usual landing spot on left of fairway, walking down the path to the fairway within 100 yards I'm carrying my bag - "this bag's really heavy, what have you got in it?", and L and P (the day's playing partners but both are friends/drinking buddies of both of us) starting to smile. I get to my ball, pull out 9 iron or wedge to hit to the green. OB all the way down the right, including right of the green...... so i shank it OB.

Wife looks at me deadpan, and says sincerely "why did you not hit it onto the green?" - L&P end up on the floor rolling around with laughter - i drop and replay - shank OB again! First 3 holes are OB right, and i go out in 9, 9,7 - pars 4,5,3..... needless to say, i didn't win anything that day
..and you've never allowed her to set foot on a golf course with you again?

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As I posted on here at the time, a couple of years ago I was playing at Chartham Park and there was a car in the lake beside the third green. Apparently, it had been stolen and the thieves took the engine out of it on the course and then pushed the car down the slope into the lake. Probably the strangest thing I‘ve seen on a course.

Many years ago I was playing at Reigate Hill and I was on a sloped bank above a bunker (12th?). It was really wet and I slipped and slid several yards in the mud on my backside and landed in the bunker, where a lot of sand stuck to the huge amount of mud on my trousers. Fortunately, my playing partner was concentrating on his shot and missed my misfortune.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
As I posted on here at the time, a couple of years ago I was playing at Chartham Park and there was a car in the lake beside the third green. Apparently, it had been stolen and the thieves took the engine out of it on the course and then pushed the car down the slope into the lake. Probably the strangest thing I‘ve seen on a course.

Many years ago I was playing at Reigate Hill and I was on a sloped bank above a bunker (12th?). It was really wet and I slipped and slid several yards in the mud on my backside and landed in the bunker, where a lot of sand stuck to the huge amount of mud on my trousers. Fortunately, my playing partner was concentrating on his shot and missed my misfortune.
If it was the 12th, I'm amazed you weren't covered in goose poo!!!! 😂

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Playing in a 4 ball at Hexham last summer. We all hit decent drives on 18 and are in the middle of the fairway. Second shots are to a green just to the right hand side of the clubhouse. It's a lovely day, and there are loads of folk sitting outside the clubhouse having a beer in the sunshine.

I'm last to play, and watch as the other 3 all hit good shots which look as if they will make the green, but then run away down a steep hill to the right of the green. I decide to aim slightly left to avoid the run off, hit a bullet which heads straight for the clubhouse, bounces off the side of it, narrowly missing a big window, and scattering drinkers all over the place.

Got a decent lie and got up and down for a par.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I recall playing at my first H4H at Blackmoor, wasn’t a shotgun start.

I had finished and was on the balcony watching the others coming in.

@Imurg ‘s group were next up and he put his approach shot well right of the green, in the bundoo and with a 30 ft hill to get up to reach the green.

A crowd gathered to watch. He got a flyer, which airmailed the green and was bouncing around the balcony until it went down a drainpipe, everyone scattered

There was some debate whether he should get an unplayable lie, but someone ( probably Duncan Mackie) pointed that the clubhouse was OOB

Quality entertainment, oh how we chortled 🤭

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I recall playing at my first H4H at Blackmoor, wasn’t a shotgun start.

I had finished and was on the balcony watching the others coming in.

@Imurg ‘s group were next up and he put his approach shot well right of the green, in the bundoo and with a 30 ft hill to get up to reach the green.

A crowd gathered to watch. He got a flyer, which airmailed the green and was bouncing around the balcony until it went down a drainpipe, everyone scattered

There was some debate whether he should get an unplayable lie, but someone ( probably Duncan Mackie) pointed that the clubhouse was OOB

Quality entertainment, oh how we chortled 🤭
Missed Sandy's beer by a whisker by all accounts...

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing the 12th at my old club .
We were out first 7.30am.
get to the 12 tee one lad says “what’s that on the green?”
As we got closer we realised somebody had stolen all the turf off the green.
Professional job with a turf cutter.
Someone has a nice garden lawn.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember taking 14 down the par 5 8th at Spalding in the club championship, not so much amusing for me, but my partners saw the funny side in it as did others in the clubhouse. It was even less amusing that I returned a card only 2 over nett (playing off 8). For those of you that haven't done the maths yet, I was only 1 over for 17 holes and returned a 10 over card.