American Golf- are they safe?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I ordered online from them a few months ago (from onlinegolf) before the business was sold, took them over a week to despatch and nearly 2 weeks to get here one of the items wasnt sent and took several conversations to get a refund

Ordered from their sale yesterday (again from onlinegolf), already had an email to say my parcel is with my local courier for delivery!

the online side seems to have improved for sure!!!

ordered at gone 7pm last night, delivered by 3pm this afternoon! A galvin green gore windstopper and a Nike aeroloft gilet for the Mrs for less than a ton combined. Bargain

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I believe that there may be more store closures, dependent upon leases.

Focus could be on those stores attached to courses and/or ranges and with decent parking.

When the purchase went through, there was a list (probably in the AG up for sale thread) of stores that were going. The new owners are used to buying, investing and turning around flailing business that still has a part to play. I'm sure that it will be a different company going forward.

Wolf

Visit site
Just been to the one in Moor Lane in Lincoln. Got some crazy bargains going on picked up a little bargain myself as another pre Christmas treat.. Spoke to manager he said they are getting rid of excess 2nd hand and last season stock as they've been told new kit is coming in and new structure to make them a factor in the industry again and are here to stay. Hopefully that's true.

D

Deleted member 18588

When the purchase went through, there was a list (probably in the AG up for sale thread) of stores that were going. The new owners are used to buying, investing and turning around flailing business that still has a part to play. I'm sure that it will be a different company going forward.

The new owners have also not been afraid to make significant cuts where they think it will be to the benefit of the business.

There remains too much capacity in the market.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The new owners have also not been afraid to make significant cuts where they think it will be to the benefit of the business.

There remains too much capacity in the market.
Not sure how much competition there is. I can't really think of any other high street golf store now Nevada Bob's and Direct Golf have gone. I think there is a place for golf stores as opposed to online (even if to hit clubs in a net on a monitor whether you trust their information or not). They've always stocked some decent clothing so I personally hope they get back to where they were from that perspective (although my views on other parts of the service are well known)

D

Deleted member 18588

Not sure how much competition there is. I can't really think of any other high street golf store now Nevada Bob's and Direct Golf have gone. I think there is a place for golf stores as opposed to online (even if to hit clubs in a net on a monitor whether you trust their information or not). They've always stocked some decent clothing so I personally hope they get back to where they were from that perspective (although my views on other parts of the service are well known)

The size of the UK golf market was over estimated from the 1990's onwards and has shrunk further in recent years.

The High Street and retail parks are not good locations for golf retail.

Courses and ranges are.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The size of the UK golf market was over estimated from the 1990's onwards and has shrunk further in recent years.

Courses and ranges are.
Not sure I agree. I think it's good for golf for consumers to have a wide choice of equipment and despite the poor service I've received at AG fittings, it's good that people have a chance to try before they buy. In my experience a lot of clubs and ranges don't carry too much in the way of stock and have limited floor space

D

Deleted member 15344

Courses and ranges are.

High street I agree - not so sure about retail parks , plenty of footfall in the area and it depends on what golf courses are around - Milton Keynes for example appears to work because the level of pro shop in that area isn’t great . Where as I believe the AG in tbe Top Golf at Watford was possibly closing.

If there isn’t a decent pro shop in the vicinity then I think the AG will do well but no point having one if there the place is full of good golf courses

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know a few AG's that are attached to driving ranges (Bird Hills being my nearest) and so I can see that being a best of both worlds. However I think as a second best, a presence on retail parks is a good thing. Big enough for a decent bay and launch monitor and plenty of space for clothing and other equipment. I think its a good thing that golfers whether they are regular players or periodic nomads have somewhere to see stuff in the flesh so to speak rather than buying blind online. If people want to use the AG launch monitors to get fitting data, it is then down to AG to make sure they are as flexible and competitive as they can be on price and price match without making it hard for the customer. I've seen instances where they have baulked against price matching clearly published prices from online retailers. Hopefully under new management and leadership that can change

Wolf

Visit site
Not sure I agree on the idea of them not being well placed on retail parks. As other mentioned footfall in these areas is massive so there will be passing trade and plenty of golfers that just walk in.

Plus if the stock is good then people will come, different company but golf gear direct is a great example of being well placed in the market of how they trade despite the main shop being in a retail unit at the back end of Rainham shopping precinct. You wouldn't know its there unless you're a golfer but plenty of people drive miles to get there with minimal parking but very good service.

They don't have driving ranges but what they do have is reciprocal deals with a few local clubs and pros to stock their shops for them means golfers get club pro service but with the benefit of a deal through a big supplier to keep costs down.. Perhaps AG need to look at this and start thinking of setting up similar deals around the country it would help a struggling Pro keep good stock in and have access to ordering in all major brands and give customers the option of putting something into the local Pro business which could lead to fittings, lessons and much more.

D

Deleted member 18588

Not sure I agree. I think it's good for golf for consumers to have a wide choice of equipment and despite the poor service I've received at AG fittings, it's good that people have a chance to try before they buy. In my experience a lot of clubs and ranges don't carry too much in the way of stock and have limited floor space

I haven't suggested that AG hasn't got a future.

Just not on the High Street

To offer facilities comparable with pro shops they need to give the customer a proper opportunity to try the hardware and that is not a net at the back of a shop.

As I said earlier the golf market is not big enough for its major retailer to adopt a scatter gun approach.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Was in the MK branch last night, some good deals on sets of irons - not sure if off the shelf stock or can get the same price on custom fit but Brand new Callaway Apex cf16 4-pw were £440. There were similar prices. on three sets of Mizuno clubs I saw, and Cobra clubs too.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I also think there is a real drive by many areas to keep retailers onside and they realise that it is simply not cost effective to keep shops open for many businesses.

Probably for a company with the right attitude and people on the ground, there are deals to be done with retail parks and local government to keep costs down. Albeit, it is still going to be difficult for a company to compete with online only outfits and you will always get the folk who go in and try stuff in store then go and buy online to save a fiver.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bazza,

Was that Purley or Long Lane?

I popped into Long Lane when the original concerns were around to off load my vouchers. Not allot there so came out with gloves and Pro Vs......

Long lane. Got quite a bit of TM, cally and cobra ex demo as well as quite a bit of trade in stuff cheap. 917f was £70.00, m4’s at £160

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I haven't suggested that AG hasn't got a future.

Just not on the High Street

To offer facilities comparable with pro shops they need to give the customer a proper opportunity to try the hardware and that is not a net at the back of a shop.

As I said earlier the golf market is not big enough for its major retailer to adopt a scatter gun approach.
I disagree. AG offer a lot of opportunities. Many are attached to a range but even those that aren't can offer a decent fitting service. I simply comes down to the quality of the staff and their training (which I accept has been lacking store to store). I know many pro shops that don't have a practice facilities and so give lessons and fittings via a monitor.