American Golf- are they safe?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are they stopping stocking ad333? My mates been trying to get them for weeks
Online no stock and none in any store nearby

D

Deleted member 15344

The MK store was a shell - clothing stock at a minimum - poor shoe collection and couldn’t see many balls - constant steam of people coming in to spend vouchers and money but leaving as there was nothing there to spend money on. With the calm weather right now people are out playing and AG should have used Xmas to boost sales.

They do have Ralph Lauren and Jay Lindenburg there but at prices that people going to AG wont pay

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Popped in to their Monument store and they had 1 left handed golf club and I bought the last 2 right handed gloves they had.
Even the stock for cack handed righties wasn’t that great.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah I popped in to the Bournemouth branch and it was crap, poor stock, stuff on sale was already cheap rubbish. Staff member said can I help you, i asked where is all the stock and he replied it's not bad, I said no bags, no gloves, no wedges, no balls no anything, real joke.

It really is this sort of thing that reinforces the buy online mantra, my son had £160 in cash and vouchers and he is spending it elsewhere.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah I popped in to the Bournemouth branch and it was crap, poor stock, stuff on sale was already cheap rubbish. Staff member said can I help you, i asked where is all the stock and he replied it's not bad, I said no bags, no gloves, no wedges, no balls no anything, real joke.

It really is this sort of thing that reinforces the buy online mantra, my son had £160 in cash and vouchers and he is spending it elsewhere.

What's asking the staff member going to do? If he's working in branch I guarantee he has no say over stock so all that does is make his day a bit more difficult. If you want to question it then go on their website and find a complaints section where it might go to someone who can do something about it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
What's asking the staff member going to do? If he's working in branch I guarantee he has no say over stock so all that does is make his day a bit more difficult. If you want to question it then go on their website and find a complaints section where it might go to someone who can do something about it.

Surely the staff should pass comments up the line, Reemul had every right to vent his feelings in store

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone been to the Edinburgh Braid hills shop? Thinking of going at the weekend, just wondering if there is much in there. As it is usually the better of the two in Edinburgh.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Popped into the new(ish) store at Sandown Park and it looked like it was on its way out. Barely any stock on the shelves and nothing put back i.e. what you see is what you get.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Surely the staff should pass comments up the line, Reemul had every right to vent his feelings in store

You've obviously never worked retail lol it's very rare for even a manager to pay attention to comments from normal staff, nevermind someone above that who can make decisions on issues like staffing levels and stock

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
You've obviously never worked retail lol it's very rare for even a manager to pay attention to comments from normal staff, nevermind someone above that who can make decisions on issues like staffing levels and stock

That probably why so many retail companies fail 🤔

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
That probably why so many retail companies fail 🤔

Potentially. But if the money isn't there to buy new stock, then no matter who you complain to they won't be buying more. So I'd say mainly shoppers habits and people wanting to order online to save £5

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never fails to amaze me though that retailers complain that there are not enough people going in to stores then continue to promote online only offers. If you are selling the fact that the best deals are online then you cannot expect people to make any effort to go out and visit brick and mortar stores.

Homer

Visit site
Never fails to amaze me though that retailers complain that there are not enough people going in to stores then continue to promote online only offers. If you are selling the fact that the best deals are online then you cannot expect people to make any effort to go out and visit brick and mortar stores.

Which is what AG want (to some degree).

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems ironic that, in my opinion, AG needs to be run more like a pro shop. Small shop spaces in key locations displaying stock but not actually carrying much, if any. You then pick your purchase and it is delivered in store or direct to you. That would massively reduce overheads but AG could still keep stock in a large warehouse facility to service both online and shop purchases. by keeping stock in the warehouse, you avoid the delays that some pro shops experience in having to order direct from the manufacturer. You get a high street presence without the massive square footage and staffing cost that AG currently have.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Interesting to see HMV go into administration again today when they appeared to be making a bit of a recovery and were actually opening stores. Tough times for retailers.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seems ironic that, in my opinion, AG needs to be run more like a pro shop. Small shop spaces in key locations displaying stock but not actually carrying much, if any. You then pick your purchase and it is delivered in store or direct to you. That would massively reduce overheads but AG could still keep stock in a large warehouse facility to service both online and shop purchases. by keeping stock in the warehouse, you avoid the delays that some pro shops experience in having to order direct from the manufacturer. You get a high street presence without the massive square footage and staffing cost that AG currently have.

But what I like about AG is the fact they do carry lots of stock and I can go and try things out and even see things in the flesh. I do agree though that they do not need every single set of irons that main stream manufacturers sell sitting out for people to look at but that is just my opinion as I am sure you will get people who want to see, touch and feel all of the different options.

As long as they still have the fitting bays and all the options then this would work but then that takes space as well which you may as well fill up with other things.

I have to say, a lot of the equipment I buy in AG is second hand anyway and I like the fact I get to try it out on trackman as well. I am more than happy to pay more than auction sites as understand the benefit of being able to hit the club and also less risk to the customer.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting to see HMV go into administration again today when they appeared to be making a bit of a recovery and were actually opening stores. Tough times for retailers.
They are on a hiding to nothing. Sky, Netflix, Spotify, Apple Music etc have all but killed off the High Street CD and Blu Ray market. The slight resurgence in vinyl may have helped but add to that the fact that if you want a physical copy of a film or a cd people tend to stick it in with their shopping at the supermarket and you have a chain of shops that has no future.