Game improvement/Better Player Myth?

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always think it's quite interesting that Spieth plays AP2's which points more to GI than for example the MB's used by a lot of tour players...

think if and when I next splash out on bats I will be getting fitted then whatever the best numbers will be what I go for and nothing else.

Some people get kicks from beautiful looking irons (myself included) but at the end of the day you enjoy yourself more the better you play

ShankyBoy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play with AP2s and love them. Not sure there is a perfect club for crap swing/poor technique, so these will do me!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have some recent insight into this.

I have in the past always played better looking irons. Mizuno MP 53, Mizuno JPX 800 Pro, Mizuno JPX 825 Pro, another set of Mizuno MP 53. All with PX 5.5 in.

This year I thought I would try an experiment and spent a little money on some Mizuno JPX fli hi with PX 5.5. 3 to 7 iron (replacement). They are a hybrid head getting larger as you move up the set but have exactly the same length shaft as my MP 53. They are not designed for distance, in fact the centre of the face is actually not to tollerance. The toe and heel are closer to tolerance so the whole face is about the same bounciness. Very clever stuff.

I have tested them pretty hard both on quiet fairways. 4 balls with JPX and 4 different number balls with the MP. I have done the same with GC2.

It is staggering! The front to back dispersion with the JPX Fli hi. If I make contact with the ball, just about anywhere on the face it will fly its distance. High on the face, out the toe, whatever, they fly their distance. The ball gets there with differing flights but it gets there. Not so with the MP.

On course I'm finding I am playing to distances to ensure that I am within a JPX Fli hi for the next shot. That is the very deffanission of confidence. I actually think that I am more confident in a game situation with a 3 fli hi than I am with an 8 iron MP.

However, the last few days in practice I have been hitting my MP 4 iron and it's just BLISS. It's part of me, I'm in the moment, the feeling is wonderful, the flight is awesome, the sound is powerful.... It's huge fun.

Better more confident golf or good feel on the good ones?

That's up to you. I'll never sell this set of MP but for now... I'm going with the other.

PS totally unrelated, the Ping i irons still have large faces and are very forgiving, not really better player irons imo. So if that's an acceptable look for you I recon you'll lose very very little over you G irons.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm still torn, so in the meantime I'm going to try the Wilson M3 on the range and see how I get on. This is the iron that above all others I like the look of, matt black PVD finish, yes please. If it can hold its own in terms of performance, or at least be manageable against the ol' Ping, I'm having it!

winty57

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had the wison M3, played a couple of rounds and a few range sessions but were not to my liking.

They felt a little harsh, dead off the face and were not that forgiving, I ended up with the Ping i20 and have since bought the Ping I E1 which feel great

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I suppose you have to look what you want and need from and iron.

personally I would not call myself a great ball striker as such, but I've found i hit a blade or muscle back far better than a GI iron.

I switched to a GI iron 2 years ago the JPX 825 pro and found them a bit of a revelation how easy they were to hit. i did find them a bit chunky and the top line a bit thick for my eye. but it didn't matter where on the face you hit it they still when 90% the same distance as a pure hit.

The main disadvantage i found was half shots/ bump and runs and general links shots. These still flew off the face and had little control on distance with this type of shot. i even had to put my old Mp62 nine iron back in the bag for a few games.

so decided on going back to a blade type iron. And TBH, i hit these just the same distance as the GI irons and the 4 iron way better, even to the extent a got a 3 iron back in the set, which again i hit better than the hybrid i got as the JPX only came 4-PW.

its a case of what you want and if you need help why not make the most of it.

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
don't the Talormade Rsi 1 irons come under "game improver irons"? - if they do, they'd be a great choice. Whenever my pp hit them they love them............

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok, so two weeks after my original post I've tried out two sets of irons.

The "players" Wilson M3, which for me is the better looking iron, versus the "game improvement" TM SpeedBlade. Judged purely on performance alone, there is one clear winner for me....the SpeedBlade. Every thing about this club makes it easier and more enjoyable to hit, on both good and bad swings. Subjectively, I could argue that the M3 feels better out of the middle, and is certainly better looking, the fact is I hit as many shots NOT out of the middle for which I'm bailed out of jail by the SpeedBlade. The Wilson does offer some help for sure, but against the opposition in this duel it's a non contest.

So, for the foreseeable future, I'm going with function over form, and the SpeedBlades will be in the bag for 2016.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site

The "players" Wilson M3, which for me is the better looking iron, versus the "game improvement" TM SpeedBlade. Judged purely on performance alone, there is one clear winner for me....the SpeedBlade. Every thing about this club makes it easier and more enjoyable to hit, on both good and bad swings. Subjectively, I could argue that the M3 feels better out of the middle, and is certainly better looking, the fact is I hit as many shots NOT out of the middle for which I'm bailed out of jail by the SpeedBlade. The Wilson does offer some help for sure, but against the opposition in this duel it's a non contest.

So, for the foreseeable future, I'm going with function over form, and the SpeedBlades will be in the bag for 2016.

Sad but true...

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

Sounds like you've made a good choice :thup:

Same shafts or something a little different?

You probably noticed on other threads that I'll be moving from a set of MP63's at Christmas to a set of Cleveland 588CB's.

Look exactly the same as the MP63's from address, aside from the head being a little longer heel to toe, but has quite a generous cavity in the back. They also have S300 over my current R300.

Cruise2012210_zpsn8xvftnr.jpg

Let's see how they go.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I bet they will be a little more forgiving Gareth. That extra blade length. Lets face it though, neither your 63 or these are built for noo0bs.

I shall never sell my 53s... well not at least till I have some Mirua.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I bet they will be a little more forgiving Gareth. That extra blade length. Lets face it though, neither your 63 or these are built for noo0bs.I shall never sell my 53s... well not at least till I have some Mirua.

Totally agree :thup:

Except with the Miura. Prefer Cooper myself :D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I believe there’s a lot to be said for liking what you look at. (The wife for example, in case she’s reading).

Probably gonna need a pic to back that up :D

We don't want to be thinking you're using a set from Asda that you paid top dollar for..... :D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
So, the question/point I’m trying to make is how much of a distinction is there between game improvement and better player irons?

IMO the shaft is more important than the head (oooooer!)

The clubs you like (and/or get on best with) probably have a shaft that better suits your swing.

nb: there are lots of pros who play with cavity style clubs.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
IMO the shaft is more important than the head (oooooer!)

The clubs you like (and/or get on best with) probably have a shaft that better suits your swing.

nb: there are lots of pros who play with cavity style clubs.

I'd agree on the shaft front. The Wilson had R300 (I think?) whereas the SpeedBlade has some 85g TM offering which seems effortless to swing and encourages me to swing easy, rather than trying to smash it.

I'll get a picture of the wife up, with or without the marigolds?

D

Deleted member 21445

I tried a few new irons out from Ping and Taylormade before starting to play again recently.

Didnt see ANY reason to part with my hard earned and I am sticking with my Ping Eye 2s which are getting on for 25 years old at least.

• I have good feelings with them , as I played my best golf with them when I was younger.
  • I still really like the look of them and have some affection for them too.
  • There still in good condition for there age.
  • I like the fact that im going against the grain and doing something different.
  • And above all I hit them great

My view is having confidence in and what makes you feel comfortable is whats important whether it be a butter knife blade or a spade with a hosel.

Attachments

• eye2s.jpg
    eye2s.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 44