Low handicapper using game improvement irons?

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just wondering does anyone here use irons that aren't exactly suggested for their handicap? By low I suppose I'm talking single figure or better.
I know handicap isn't the only thing to take into consideration when playing certain irons.
It just got me thinking as I know that a really good player at my club plays off a 1 handicap using a set of Ping G410 irons. These would never really be suggested for him. Just wondering should we all be using something chunky 😀

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah, and added forgiveness would be less important of a feature to them, and once yardage gaps were known theyd be as accurate as with any other iron. The spin loss is actually pretty minimal when you compare loft to loft.

So just comes down to aesthetics.

If there were a set of irons that made a significant difference, they'd sell out in 30 seconds...

HPIMG

Visit site
I am off 5 and used mizuno pro 225 so most forgiving mp mizuno you can get I think. Have recently had the urge to go full blades as I mostly find the middle of my irons and use a 6 iron blade to practice with and it does feel better than the forgiving clubs.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I am off 5 and used mizuno pro 225 so most forgiving mp mizuno you can get I think. Have recently had the urge to go full blades as I mostly find the middle of my irons and use a 6 iron blade to practice with and it does feel better than the forgiving clubs.
3 handicapper at my place has the Mizuno Pro 225s too, and a set of the MP20 HMBs in Spain. I asked him why he plays the same irons as me, an 11 handicapper .
He said "why would I choose to not take the help on offer? They're great irons.".

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I only play blades so I must be a superb ball striker.
You must be. Gaming players irons, you are a player. You like to work the ball. You dont need help. You dont need clubs to improve your game. You need feel so that you can shape the ball. 3HI or lower probably.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As in, feels better, but doesnt perform any better ?

HPIMG

Visit site
As in, feels better, but doesnt perform any better ?
Yes just feels better I would say my 6 iron blade goes as far as my 7 iron mizuno pro 225 so I lose a club distance but they will be different lofts. I think I am now at the point where I want a better feeling club and for some strange reason I find the blade easier to hit. I think it might be because I know it’s a blade and it’s going to hurt if I thin it so in my mind I focus more.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I have an example of the very opposite. My good friend played with Mizzy MP5 for years off an 18 to 20 handicap. He finally bit the bullet, retired the blades and bought some stealth irons, nothing has changed, his scores are the same but instead of missing the green with a 5 iron he is now missing it with a 7 iron. And his short game stinks.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Yes just feels better I would say my 6 iron blade goes as far as my 7 iron mizuno pro 225 so I lose a club distance but they will be different lofts. I think I am now at the point where I want a better feeling club and for some strange reason I find the blade easier to hit. I think it might be because I know it’s a blade and it’s going to hurt if I thin it so in my mind I focus more.
stinging fingers.jpg

butter knife.jpg

Great myths of our time.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Segmentation of a market is critical to drive sales, the idea of a club suiting a player or not, having an 'upgrade' option, an appealing in this case to a golfers perception of their game and ambitions. At the end, it leads to more golf clubs sold than the world needs. More money in the hands of the manufacturers, more clubs sitting unused whether in attics or used club resellers. The butter knife one is quite a triumph - it cuts both ways (;)) : dont use blades as they sting on imperfect strikes ! Buy clubs that give you help instead - Aspire to or are single figures? You must now 'upgrade' to better player blades !

Are golfers the most gullible group in the world ?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I thinned a Daiwa Trypower TCS blade 5-iron just over the back of a green yesterday.
I think that if I had done it with my Ping i10 5 or 6-iron it would have gone further into the thick stuff or OOB.
Its all than weight in the lower part of the clubhead - problem of design or design fault?
Anyway - the blade was more forgiving this time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played off 6-8 for many years and used TaylorMade 360 graphite shafted irons for most of that period.

It was only a pros suggestion that I switched to lighter weight steel shafts ( TT Dynamic Gold light) that made me change and then I went back to a set of Nicklaus N1s that had many features that separated them from standard blades.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You must be. Gaming players irons, you are a player. You like to work the ball. You dont need help. You dont need clubs to improve your game. You need feel so that you can shape the ball. 3HI or lower probably.

Serious question
On the handicap scale when does a player need to shape their shots and get that extra feel?
15.2 and I'd be happy with a stock straight shot 10 times out of 10
It's only when I don't hit it straight I find sometimes the need to 'recover' by attempting a draw or fade to clear obstacles etc

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Serious question
On the handicap scale when does a player need to shape their shots and get that extra feel?
15.2 and I'd be happy with a stock straight shot 10 times out of 10
It's only when I don't hit it straight I find sometimes the need to 'recover' by attempting a draw or fade to clear obstacles etc

As you say, it's rare to actually need to shape a shot, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy trying to shape shots.
One of the YouTubers used to have it as part of his Vlogs that each player had to play a high shot, a low shot, a draw and a fade during 6 holes, a good challenge and increases the fun of a mini game.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
In all honesty, how many on here can shape the ball on command?
I play off 9 & the best I can produce on demand is a gentle draw.
If I try to really draw or fade it, I'll just get a wicked hook, slice or duff.

I swapped Ping G20's about 4 years ago for Ping i210's with slightly lighter shafts & Ping Glide wedges.
The biggest difference I have found is
Better accuracy from the 5 iron down
Much better feedback through feel
Much better control around the green from 115 yards in (night & day better)
My handicap came down & I really enjoy playing with these irons.

I think apart from improved feel, the othe big improvement has been the i210's have minimal offset compared to the G20's
I do play with quite a strong grip.