Returning to the game

rayzer88

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all

I'm returning to the game after about 4 years away. Long story short I was working a lot of weekends and wasn't getting benefit of my membership and I ended up drifting away

Picked the game back up recently and the bug for it is just as big as it was the first time round. Got custom fitted for Titleist 716 AP1s, 915 Woods and sm6 wedges back then and got down to 12 handicap. When I left the game I sold them all and to this day it's probably my biggest ever regret.

Was able to play with more mid handicap irons back then, and easing back in I picked up a set of Ping i10 irons. Green dot spec which i was fitted for way back, standard length (was originally fitted for 0.5" longer). It was certainly a baptism of fire, and thinking I would be able to hit the Ball like I used to was definitely not the case! Spraying balls left, right, high, low. Length may have contributed a little, but felt like it was more my problem.

Toyed with the idea of getting some G range irons for a little bit more help, but finding them half inch longer has been a bit of a nightmare

Went to the range with the i10s today, slowed things down a little and thought a bit more and it was light years better than the session I had last weekend. Definitely the right direction

Not really sure what the purpose of this thread was. Has anyone had experience of a long time away and clubs being no longer fit for purpose? It's just nice to be talking about golf again!

Albo

Visit site
I had this a few years ago, used to play as a lad up to my early 20s, then stopped due to work, then got married had kids etc and picked up the game in my late 30s.
Irons I had which I was fitted for, really didn’t fit but had the first year back with them and a struggle, eventually bit the bullet and got fitted again for a more modern set. Just gone on from there.
I’d say get back stick with what you have for now and once you’re fully back and mentally confirmed go get fit again

Jason.H

Visit site
I had 13 years away and like you I sold all my gear. It took a while to find my short game but I manage to play quite a lot and enjoy it more than ever, and I’m a lower handicap than I was back then.
Equipment wise I was standard lie and length so I found it easy to buy 2nd hand irons.

RichA

Visit site
Golf Clubs 4 Cash have plenty of clubs in non-standard fits.
From my experience, 15 year old Mizuno forged cavity backs are cheap, often come 0.5" longer and local golf shops will adjust lie and check lofts for about £30 a set.
My MP-30 irons are lovely. They cost about £100 plus another £80 for adjustment and new grips, which I did myself.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I have i10 irons 5-PW green dot from brand new in 2008. I have G10 3 & 4 irons green dot. Playing those at the moment.
When proper summer conditions arrive, I will use my Reid Lockhart blades 3-SW.
Current HI = 4.5

soles.jpgbacks.jpg

They cost me £85 last year, (that's for the whole set, not each cub) and they did come with some superb grips.

grips.jpg

I would say, stick with the i10s if they are going well. Give yourself two full seasons to get back into it, then get new irons if you think you ought to or need to rather than want to.

Last edited:

Teebs

Visit site
I'm In the same boat.
Played extensively in my youth and 20's, stopped bar 1 or 2 games a year and started back last year. I've always been a bit of an equipment obsessive so I have replaced the following

Mizuno JPX 850 forged for Ping i230s
Callaway XHot2 for Callaway Rogue ST
New 3 wood
2 x new Ping G430 hybrids
New bag
New electric trolley
Odyssey Toulon Daytona Beach

Membership started last week- should be a good year and lots to learn (New HC system) and remember.
Early signs are promising and my aim is a level par round (Gross). I did shoot -2 gross back 9 last year but need to keep that form flowing

Best of luck, it's a great game and one I'm glad to be back playing seriously.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Played with a chap on Wednesday. I knew him when we were teenagers in the 1970s. He won the club championship when he was 19 and a few more times after.
Stopped playing in 2000, but rejoined this year.
He has got himself an Epic driver and 3-wood, but he is still using his Taylormade Burner irons from the late 1990s.
I don't think he will be getting new irons until he feels he has full up-to-date knowledge of the new equipment and options. No point making a hasty decision that you might regret later.

DoubleD

Visit site
Same situation for me. Using my old but good Titleist 775cb and hitting them ok, no better no worse. Thinking about a set of Mizuno 921 or Titleist T300. Just can’t make my mind up.

rayzer88

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks all, taken all on board and had another range session and was much the same as yesterday so can't complain really!

I've got a local municipal pay and play course, May have to get out and play 9 holes this week. I was always useless off range mats and always played better off a fairway (when I could hit one!)

Skytot

Visit site
I had a 14 yr absence, took it back up Jan 22. I used my old irons all last season, did ok with them to be fair came down from 15.6 to 10.8.. I decided to have a fitting once the season finished and booked myself in at Mizuno performance centre and got some 923s hot metals. I’ve had fitting since for driver- Mizuno STx220, putter fitting -Taylormade spiderGT, . Pretty happy with my bag now , maybe some wedges later date but can’t wait for the season to start

rayzer88

Hacker
Visit site
Another thing I meant to ask which has been bothering me for YEARS

Is there an industry standard for measuring for shaft length in a fitting? (Eg, do all companies use the wrist to floor)

Reason I ask is when I was fitted by Ping it was for 1/2" longer, and with Titleist it was 1" longer

I seem to remember someone at the time (may have been the fitter at Celtic Manor) saying they were essentially the same as Titleist clubs were 1/2" longer than Pings

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It depends on how long each company's standard is..
What you'll find out is that there is very little in golf that is standard....

rayzer88

Hacker
Visit site
Has anyone used both the i10 and I series e1 irons? I'm still not looking to buy new irons, but i'm still looking for a little more forgiveness than the i10's without going up to the G series irons

Are the e1's more forgiving and maybe slightly bigger? I seem to remember the i10's being some of the more compact Ping offered at the time