Low handicapper using game improvement irons?

HPIMG

Visit site
I can hit a draw on command but a fade it hard for me but I always try and put some sort of shape on the ball I never try and hit a straight shot it’s just too hard for me.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Do what you enjoy as Crow says.

But, when the best players in the world predominantly play one shot shape, that tells you all you need to know.

Getting down to 9.9 then thinking you need to shape it both ways to get lower probably isn’t going to go as well as some think it will.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As you say, it's rare to actually need to shape a shot, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy trying to shape shots.
In all honesty, how many on here can shape the ball on command?

I remember Jack Nicklaus once saying

"If you ever see me hit a straight shot I have mishit it"

following that comment I have an awful lot of mishits.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I remember Jack Nicklaus once saying

"If you ever see me hit a straight shot I have mishit it"

following that comment I have an awful lot of mishits.

Dustin Johnson says if you see me hit it left I've miss hit it.

Max Homa's caddy only allows him to draw it once in a blue moon.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
With a misbehaving driver and a heavily tree lined course I find myself shaping shots most rounds, the alternative is a punch back onto the fairway resulting in a big loss of distance, whereas a fade or draw has the potential to be well down the fairway and be a shot saver.

The fade (a proper one, not some dodgy slice) I can execute almost at will, the draw may come off, it may not, but it's impressive when it does.

Jason.H

Visit site
Serious question
On the handicap scale when does a player need to shape their shots and get that extra feel?
15.2 and I'd be happy with a stock straight shot 10 times out of 10
It's only when I don't hit it straight I find sometimes the need to 'recover' by attempting a draw or fade to clear obstacles etc
I think theres so misconception whereby people are led to believe its easier to “shape shots” with a small blade irons. I’ve scratched that blade itch some 18 years ago and I found it a struggle tbh. Stock shots were more difficult and higher tariff shots (shaping) were even more difficult. In my experience as a low handicapper forged cavity back irons are the best for me, workable and forgiving.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Serious question
On the handicap scale when does a player need to shape their shots and get that extra feel?
15.2 and I'd be happy with a stock straight shot 10 times out of 10
It's only when I don't hit it straight I find sometimes the need to 'recover' by attempting a draw or fade to clear obstacles etc
Serious answer, probably at about plus 5. Or on one of the major tours. Even then is probably an emergency measure rather than a standard option.
Blades, and the story of shotshaping for low-ish HI or aspiration golfers thinking of 'upgrading' is just another notch on the sales bedpost for the marketing story creators. It fell into their lap as a ready made myth as the other side of the coin from the launch of 'game improvement' clubs. In itself, a moniker of genius. Whoever fist used it must really regret not copyrighting it - or maybe couldnt, as doing so would have exposed the very idea ?

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Majority of my well struck shots are straight. Oddly enough the better I've got at striking it, the harder I now find it to hit a fade, or indeed a big slice, on command. A draw is a mystery to me😁

I do wonder how a pro would do with a round playing game improvement irons jacked lofts. One for Rick Shiels!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Majority of my well struck shots are straight. Oddly enough the better I've got at striking it, the harder I now find it to hit a fade, or indeed a big slice, on command. A draw is a mystery to me😁

I do wonder how a pro would do with a round playing game improvement irons jacked lofts. One for Rick Shiels!
I think he could do with some game improvers. I just watched his 'ten year old clubs' video that he did with Golfbidder recently and he took on some Mizuno blades. I don't know what the hell he was thinking. He didn't hit many greens with them (was windy though).

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think he could do with some game improvers. I just watched his 'ten year old clubs' video that he did with Golfbidder recently and he took on some Mizuno blades. I don't know what the hell he was thinking. He didn't hit many greens with them (was windy though).

Yeah I watched that vid last week and was staggered that with all the testing/reviewing he's done in that time, that he chose those irons to hit for a one-off challenge game
Surely he'd tested a set of irons from that period that were ridiculously easy to hit/forgiving and golfbidder had in stock

I like his videos but that choice was a head scratcher

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played against our current club champs a few weeks ago, he's of +4 and had a set of ping GI irons in the bag, last time I'd played him he hD Titleist blades, said why wouldn't you take the extra help, mind he hits a long ball and was hitting a 1 iron over 270, so doesn't need extra distance. I use gi irons mizuno jpx hot metal pro, I'm off 2. What's not to like high straight and 2 clubs longer than my blades.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played against our current club champs a few weeks ago, he's of +4 and had a set of ping GI irons in the bag, last time I'd played him he hD Titleist blades, said why wouldn't you take the extra help, mind he hits a long ball and was hitting a 1 iron over 270, so doesn't need extra distance. I use gi irons mizuno jpx hot metal pro, I'm off 2. What's not to like high straight and 2 clubs longer than my blades.
The hot metal pro are ones I'm considering. The 921 model comes with the blacked out LZ shaft which looks good too.

Albo

Visit site
I have the 921 pro ones, I find the lack of offset a huge help, very strong grip and a big left miss. Offset just looks like the ball will go even more left.

Springveldt

Visit site
Do what you enjoy as Crow says.

But, when the best players in the world predominantly play one shot shape, that tells you all you need to know.

Getting down to 9.9 then thinking you need to shape it both ways to get lower probably isn’t going to go as well as some think it will.
I'd be happy if I could have a consistent one shot shape. My mate who is a plus golfer only ever hits a fade, if it goes straight or draws he's mishit it.

Yeah I watched that vid last week and was staggered that with all the testing/reviewing he's done in that time, that he chose those irons to hit for a one-off challenge game
Surely he'd tested a set of irons from that period that were ridiculously easy to hit/forgiving and golfbidder had in stock

I like his videos but that choice was a head scratcher
It's an ego thing with him even although it's obvious he needs the help of a players distance or game improvement iron.

As for the irons thing, when I go for a fitting next time I'll use whatever produces the best results, even if it was those Cleveland Launcher HB irons. Golf is hard enough, I'll take whatever help I can get.

ThinBullet

Visit site
It's a growing trend among the low guys at our club. Mostly all play G410 or G425 irons. Chunky boys.

Personally, I can't stomach the noise they make or how chunky they are behind the ball. My go to thought is a fat shot. No idea why. I played Mizuno MP-H5 and I kept thinning them. Moved to MP-18 blades and all was forgiven. Odd.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It's a growing trend among the low guys at our club. Mostly all play G410 or G425 irons. Chunky boys.

Personally, I can't stomach the noise they make or how chunky they are behind the ball. My go to thought is a fat shot. No idea why. I played Mizuno MP-H5 and I kept thinning them. Moved to MP-18 blades and all was forgiven. Odd.
The newer Ping G irons aren’t as big as they used to be. They look half decent these days.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

That's interesting to hear it's a few who are using them. I've noticed too it seems to be Ping in a lot of cases