Game imrpovement irons

Visit site
I am currently using callaway apex 19 irons and feel like I've not been playing that well for a while. I am having lessons but have an itch to buy something new.

Thinking about moving back to more game improvement irons - something like srixon zx4 mk2 or mizuno hot metal but before going to try wondering how much easier they are to hit in reality than what I'm already using.

Would there really be much added help or is it all marketing spiel?

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Nothing wrong with what you have, they're still CB game improvement irons - just forged!

Don't fall for the marketing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use game improvers and I suspect I always will. I don't practise enough to ever have what I'd consider good ball-striking, so I'm more than happy to have the help. I'm not looking to make the game harder. My Rogue ST Max's are absolute rocket launchers.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The ping g range are very forgiving. I have the g25 irons and they cover many a sin 😄. The added joy is that because of this they hold their value well on the second hand market should you decide move them on.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Game improver is the way to go. Blades give you nothing and 'I like to shape the ball' has been well debunked.
Lookalike blades are all that is really left, but that is only a throwback to the aesthetics for older generations, a bit like wood panels on steel cars once upon a time. Even they will fade in the coming years.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nothing wrong with what you have, they're still CB game improvement irons - just forged!

Don't fall for the marketing.
In my opinion and that of many reviewers they are not CB game improvements irons they are undercut semi muscle back meant for low to mid handicap players.

Having played the original clubs Callaway Forged back in the about 2008 I would say it would depend on what you consider to be the problem. If you are striking middle or near middle but have lost distance it would be more about changing shaft. If it it is because you are no longer middling I would have thought looking for something which moves more weight to the sides such as Titleist T200. I notice the ZX4 has a tungsten plug but only in the toe.

RichA

Visit site
I bought Ping G425 irons a couple of years ago. They were great for bludgeoning the ball a good distance, even with mishits.
I sold them after a year or so and prefer using my 20 year old Mizuno MP irons or P790s.
Less distance in mishits but the ball is more likely to land where I'm aiming it and just much nicer to play golf with.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Game improver is the way to go. Blades give you nothing and 'I like to shape the ball' has been well debunked.
Lookalike blades are all that is really left, but that is only a throwback to the aesthetics for older generations, a bit like wood panels on steel cars once upon a time. Even they will fade in the coming years.

I think your opinion is too binary. Some older style blades are extremely difficult for the average golfer to use, whilst some GI irons will launch the ball way too high for some players. As for working the ball, again some GI irons with huge peripheral weighting make it harder. Then there’s the modern ball. Some spin, making it easier to shape the ball and some don’t, meaning it flies straighter. Try shaping a Pinnacle then try it with one of the softer balls.

For many years I chased the feel and performance I experienced with the old Mizuno TP9’s. Every custom fitting I had came up with the same result, irrespective of whatever shaft I tried. They just spun up too much and ballooned up. Yes I could have accepted that and just used an extra club but the reality was the numbers, the stats that you love, proved that they just didn’t suit.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is just marketing story though, aimed at segmentation and creating the illusion of choice and aspirational options in the range.
I am quoting from experience of owning and using earlier versions of this club. Definitely not one for a mid - high handicap player expecting the playability of a CB club.

I have not handled the APEX but the clubface size alone would put a lot of players off.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I am currently using callaway apex 19 irons and feel like I've not been playing that well for a while. I am having lessons but have an itch to buy something new.

Thinking about moving back to more game improvement irons - something like srixon zx4 mk2 or mizuno hot metal but before going to try wondering how much easier they are to hit in reality than what I'm already using.

About 3 years ago i was playing Apex CF16's...was having an extended bad spell and my handicap had risen from 7 to 14....decided it was time for a fitting for some GI style irons and after a couple of sessions ended up with a set of Mizuno JPX919's....out on the course I couldnt hit them for toffee and my handicap, confidence and love of the game, suffered further, so went to a bloke who I know doesnt do fittings per se but soes some equipment/golfer analysis sessions. During the session he put a couple of shafts in a mystery clubhead and got me to hit them.....it was like an instant revelation....and then I looked at the clubhead.....a Callaway apex CF19 (this time with a True Temper Elevate 95 shaft...my old CF16s had a TT XP95's)....had returned all the feel that the Mizunos robbed me of, better ball striking, better launch, more smiles.

He just commented that the Apex's were pretty well suited to my game, the way I delivered the club to the ball and yes, on a LM the Mizzies might have been giving better data, but they just didnt suit me.

So I dumped the Mizzies on ebay, bought a set of CF19's with the Elevate shafts and got back to enjoying my golf again, hitting the ball well and slowly dragging my handicap back down again (9.7 now). I'd persevere with the Apex's (assuming, as I have done whilst typing the above, that you are talking about the CF version and not the muscle like Pro version!!)....whilst they might not be a GI club in the modern sense of the word, there is enough there to give plenty of assistance with them being a cavity back and the 360 face cup technology.

Tinkerman

Visit site
Lots of options to try out depending on what your problem with them is. I was using Cobra Forged Tec Black (2018) but was losing distance. I've now got Cobra Forged Tec X and love them. Yes, they have jacked lofts, but that's what I wanted. Still look decent though and not dissimilar to the P790's, which should also be on your list to try.
The PXG 0211's could also be a good option to look at if you're on a budget as Mizuno are far more expensive. Their website shows where the nearest fitter is.

Jason.H

Visit site

You could try the Stealth or Paradym irons. I’ve seen reviews on both which were very positive.