American Golf- are they safe?

D

Deleted member 18588

I disagree. AG offer a lot of opportunities. Many are attached to a range but even those that aren't can offer a decent fitting service. I simply comes down to the quality of the staff and their training (which I accept has been lacking store to store). I know many pro shops that don't have a practice facilities and so give lessons and fittings via a monitor.

Fine if you are happy with not seeing the results of your strikes but to me that is distinctly second class.

I am a regular AG customer and genuinely hope they continue but the biggest problem remains of too much supply in a diminished market.

Their best hope, I believe, is to offer a top quality service and range of products in the right locations and those are in stores attached to courses and ranges.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I disagree. AG offer a lot of opportunities. Many are attached to a range but even those that aren't can offer a decent fitting service. I simply comes down to the quality of the staff and their training (which I accept has been lacking store to store). I know many pro shops that don't have a practice facilities and so give lessons and fittings via a monitor.
Most pro shops will be attached to a golf club ? Either with a course or practice area to hit demo clubs/ do fittings or whatever, i have even seen pros using a quiet hole to do stuff like this. So would have to say much better than AG in this regard, most AG are not attached to driving ranges so it is generally a nett in the back with a poorly set up launch monitor that is set up with elevation, wind and temperature settings like those you'd find in Mexico city

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Most pro shops will be attached to a golf club ? Either with a course or practice area to hit demo clubs/ do fittings or whatever, i have even seen pros using a quiet hole to do stuff like this. So would have to say much better than AG in this regard, most AG are not attached to driving ranges so it is generally a nett in the back with a poorly set up launch monitor that is set up with elevation, wind and temperature settings like those you'd find in Mexico city
I agree and I've spoken on here before about my own poor service when I've had fittings. However that has to be down to training and store policy as others on here have equally good fitting and so I think it really is hit and miss depending on what store you visit.

As for prices, unfortunately a company RRP is going to apply to a pro shop as much as AG. There are some companies (Motocaddy spring to mind) are very firm on this and many are not allowed to offer any form of discount. It's an industry problem though surely and AG only reflect the price TM/Callaway/Ping etc charge for their driver or irons. That is where the problem lies.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I have to say ping are very good with regards to pricing they always strike me as a very honest and fair company. Seems odd I don't use any of their clubs but I hold them in high regard as I think they genuinely care about the consumer and the level of service they provide

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I agree and I've spoken on here before about my own poor service when I've had fittings. However that has to be down to training and store policy as others on here have equally good fitting and so I think it really is hit and miss depending on what store you visit.

As for prices, unfortunately a company RRP is going to apply to a pro shop as much as AG. There are some companies (Motocaddy spring to mind) are very firm on this and many are not allowed to offer any form of discount. It's an industry problem though surely and AG only reflect the price TM/Callaway/Ping etc charge for their driver or irons. That is where the problem lies.
Surely this is illegal.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Probably they feel it would devalue their brand and they might have some sort of legal standing with that viewpoint

It's illegal to price fix, but then there are ways around it. You don't demand a retailer sells at a price, but if they don't then the next years contract may have less volume discount or the supply contract may not even be renewed. The supplier doesn't have to justify either of these things, it is their right to choose who they supply and at what price, so as long as they haven't explicitly stated the reason why is because you won't sell at the price they demand, then there is little to stop it.

It's like a golf club can refuse a membership application for no reason, because the club reserves the right to choose who it admits, it's only a problem if they tell you, or otherwise reveal that the reason was your race, gender, or other protected characteristic. Ignoring the fact that if a club is defined as being single characteristic (e.g men's only golf club), then this is legal. but that's a whole different topic.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Price fixing is illegal but there must be a way as apple execute it perfectly.

I’m sure a way around it is to offer no trade discounts but instead a rebate paid over negotiated periods based on sales numbers and targets
I'm not sure about the laws of price fixing but is this actually the same thing? If one manufacturer wants to charge a fixed price then I don't see an issue. If all the big boys got together and aligned their prices at a fixed level then that is different but as it stands if a single manufacturer fixes their prices then surely they are just putting faith in their products? As per the Apple pricing model.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Re: Price fixing.

In photography I've noticed a common theme among camera companies is to offer a cashback deal.

So lets say a camera or lens is £499 it might be priced with £50 cash back. i.e. you handover £499 to the retailer and then reclaim £50 through a voucher in the packaging. So net cost of £449 with the cashback being actual cash transferred to your bank (i.e. not a voucher to buy more stuff).

I don't know for sure, but I guess that this is to allow the manufacturers to offer discounts but ensure that the retailers don't either pocket the discount rather than pass it all onto the consumer, or more likely, use the discounted stock to apply more general discounts to stock that they feel is tougher to shift or will generate greater footfall.

Also added bonus that they can collect some basic information about who has bought their equipment.

Homer

Visit site
AG will ride out Christmas, take the vouchers given as presents tomorrow in Jan, pay off everyone they owe money to, get their initial investment back,close down 30/40 stores and then start afresh in the Spring.

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site

Hi 52 of our stores are currently located at facilities with an outdoor driving range available so just short of 50% which is a good mix and higher than many people imagine. It’s good to have variety. Good to see people are enjoying the sale some amazing value.

The Smell of Golf

Visit site
To force the workers to open the shop at 7.30 AM on Friday 21 Dec 2018 is a DISGRACE. When are the rich bosses going to learn to treat people with respect and pay them properly. Frivolous .

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
To force the workers to open the shop at 7.30 AM on Friday 21 Dec 2018 is a DISGRACE. When are the rich bosses going to learn to treat people with respect and pay them properly. Frivolous .

Door swings both ways, if you don't like it move on. And 0730 is hardly an early start.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Surely a lot of it is to do with the price of equipment. People can't afford to spend 400 on a new driver or 1000 on a set of irons very often. Prices have jumped considerably in the last few years.

Can't afford or won't afford Gordon; I'm damned if I'll drop £500 on the new Titleist drivers when I know that I'll probably be able to get them for less than half that in 12 - 18 months time. I can afford it, but I won't, I'd rather drop that on something like the Kent tour.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Can't afford or won't afford Gordon; I'm damned if I'll drop £500 on the new Titleist drivers when I know that I'll probably be able to get them for less than half that in 12 - 18 months time. I can afford it, but I won't, I'd rather drop that on something like the Kent tour.
Agree 100% Richard, a grand one a new set of irons would gain me virtually nothing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What a bizarre rant to start of your forum career (unless you are an ex-member incarnate?). They will get paid and have known about it in advance and no doubt get time off in lieu. I'm sure the staff will cope. What about the nurses on a long day today starting at 7.00am and going through to 8.30 tonight?