American Golf- are they safe?

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So just popped into AG tonight to see their sale and the place was absolutely crammed with bargains.

2016 m1’s for £49
G400 drivers for £149
Ping iblades for £249 which were 349 yesterday.
Clothes for £5
Callaway apex cf16 Forged 3-PW were £199

They even had a section which just said ‘make me an offer’. There was some crap in there but there was a few nice sets of irons such as i20’s.

To me this screams that the new owners are looking to get what ever they can for the stock and then close it down. It cannot be sustainable and they must have so so much stock to clear. I know that new models are coming out soon but the prices were insanely low.

Do you reckon they will last? I think it would be a massive shame to see them go down, especially after the recent buy out.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I see all these deals on here. Haven’t seen one anywhere jear that good in either of the stores near me in canterbury.

Are those m1’s new?

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems like some good deals. Will have to pop in to my local store when passing next.

Maybe they are just trying to get rid of old stock to make way for new stock in the new year.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They're loaded with used clubs from their double discount trade in deals.
They've been trying to sell them in store and eBay but the prices weren't competitive enough
I suspect the new owners have told them to ditch the excess stock asap

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
They were all second hand but there was some new stuff which was reduced as well.

A lot of the stock was not there a few days ago. So it is definitely worth checking out the local stores.

Also if you have a Santander 123 account they are doing 10% cash back in the retailer offers. Just make sure you accept the offer on the app!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Do you reckon they will last? I think it would be a massive shame to see them go down, especially after the recent buy out.

My best mate worked for a company taken over by the same group. He had nothing but good things to say about them, how they were very positive with the acquisition, and grew the company.

The debts have all been cleared at AG, their supply lines are all open. They’ve taken on new lines - J Lindberg and Ralph Lauren to name two. They are moving up market in the clothing lines.

I’m sure they’re just binning old stock to make way for new. The club bargains I saw today were largely ex demo and clothing stock that has been around a while.

I think the new owners have their heads screwed on and know what they’re doing. It just won’t be over night.

Wolf

Visit site
So just popped into AG tonight to see their sale and the place was absolutely crammed with bargains.

2016 m1’s for £49
G400 drivers for £149
Ping iblades for £249 which were 349 yesterday.
Clothes for £5
Callaway apex cf16 Forged 3-PW were £199

They even had a section which just said ‘make me an offer’. There was some crap in there but there was a few nice sets of irons such as i20’s.

To me this screams that the new owners are looking to get what ever they can for the stock and then close it down. It cannot be sustainable and they must have so so much stock to clear. I know that new models are coming out soon but the prices were insanely low.

Not able to get to my local one but at that price I'd be temptes to ask you to pick me one up and transfer you the money...

I think they will last this seems like a fire sale to get rid all excess 2nd hand stock

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i popped into the one in Edinburgh last week, it was as bad if not worse than the one in Inverness, hardly any clubs, balls or clothing, just a big empty space.

not sure how these two stores will stay open

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I have used American Golf however generally use it to hunt for bargains.

I priced a club on their website and asked at my pro shop, he was able to get it for a couple of quid less.

Ok, so he has maybe cut his profit margin right down and it’s not as if our shop is carrying much stock, but he can still order stuff and obviously AG aren’t able to necessarily blow these guys out of the water on price for new 2018 / 2019 models.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
To me this screams that the new owners are looking to get what ever they can for the stock and then close it down.
An interesting theory but I can't see that as being the strategy, knowing the buyer's record with other purchases. The trade in offer they had pre sale was just a desperate attempt to generate cash. Now ther new owners have a huge stock of overpriced used stuff to shift.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I ordered online from them a few months ago (from onlinegolf) before the business was sold, took them over a week to despatch and nearly 2 weeks to get here one of the items wasnt sent and took several conversations to get a refund

Ordered from their sale yesterday (again from onlinegolf), already had an email to say my parcel is with my local courier for delivery!

the online side seems to have improved for sure!!!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
An interesting theory but I can't see that as being the strategy, knowing the buyer's record with other purchases. The trade in offer they had pre sale was just a desperate attempt to generate cash. Now ther new owners have a huge stock of overpriced used stuff to shift.

the current owners also paid very little for that stock when they bought the pre pack, hence they can get the decks cleared and get the business running going forward how they want to

D

Deleted member 18588

I believe that there may be more store closures, dependent upon leases.

Focus could be on those stores attached to courses and/or ranges and with decent parking.