Alternative to countback

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm fine with the established countback but if an alternative's sought then why not off to the practice green for a 'putt-off' to decide
I like this idea.

With a caveat that the person putting second is not allowed to see the first persons shot.

Swango1980

Visit site
Years ago, 4 of us had a golf trip to Le Touquet. Scores tied on last day, the result was important to decide the weeks champion.

We resolved it by having a chip off. Me against another guy. Amazing, as I chipping was vastly better than his. The drive back home to Lincolnshire felt good as champion :)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If everyone is together. A playoff of some description is the best way to resolve things.

I’ve said before that a countback is a terrible way of determining a winner.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
If everyone is together. A playoff of some description is the best way to resolve things.

I’ve said before that a countback is a terrible way of determining a winner.

I hate it...

Lost 2 comps on countback to players around double my handicap.. sheer pain :ROFLMAO:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Thats nothing...I won on CB a few weeks ago, beating 2 players..1 off scratch and the other off -1.. :ROFLMAO:

At least you're only a 6 though... these both played off 30+ and have stopped me getting my name on trophies TWICE :ROFLMAO:

Can you tell it still hurts? because it does

AussieKB

Visit site
I hate playoffs using handicap.....first hole he gets a shot I don't......or heaven forbid he gets 2 or 3 under the handicap system.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
3 pals and I play a little league each year, playing a round at each other’s course and points allocated for 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th. All very friendly, the winner gets the trophy and a few quid.

We play strokeplay, no handicaps. In the last round 3 of scores exactly the same and so we went with countback to decide the points. The chap who ‘won’ wasn’t happy with it and said he’d feel better if the total points were shared, but the rest of us said to stick to countback. It did feel a bit annoying as we’d essentially played exactly the same but in a different order.

Got me thinking, wouldn’t it be fairer to see who scores better on the hardest holes, start at SI1 and work back from there? Am I missing an obvious flaw?
I'm afraid I agree with your mate, points should be shared across those in a tie. Count back only needs to be used where prizes cannot be shared e.g.trophies

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would like the decimal point used as a first separator at least. Never understood why it wasnt. A least is is a 1 in 10 chance that you dont have to employ the effective lottery that is back nine, etc.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is precisely for that reason that until a few years ago Grims Dyke used to resolve ties by using exact handicap. Then some interfering busybody pointed out that it didn't conform to the recommendation from England Golf (or it might have been CONGU, not sure which), so they switched to countback.
It was/is only a recommendation not an obligation. The procedure is full of 'may's and 'should's but no 'must's.