All the gear - No idea

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I disagree with some of what you said murthtrhemog, I believe we should all start with rubbish equipment so as the person improves they really appreciate the quality of the more expensive advanced equipment.

Bit like my first car, an MG metro, was the most fun I have ever had with a car broke down all the time and taught me loads on how to fix cars and look after them. I t should be the same with golf in my eyes.

couldn't disagree more. start with the best quality you can afford, it doesn't have to be new. starting with badly made clubs with rubbish shafts helps no-one and are probably the cause of a lot giving up too soon.

and how much of a car can you fix now that doesn't need computer diagnostics?

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
if you start with the best the only way to go is stay there. It took me years to be able to afford a brand new set of clubs, and it was a wonderfull feeling having a new set. Just like a new car, nobody else has used them/it only me. If you can afford the best, be the best

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed, CC07, but as you know, too few people actually spend their money where it'll benefit them most .... on lessons. These tend to be the true "all the gear, no idea" gang.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well said John.

Been re-reading this thread and between yourself and viscount you have the answer.

Buy the best kit you can afford but make sure that there is enough left for lessons.

Ideal.

D

Deleted member 1147

I started off with absolute rubbish gear - Howson Derby Irons, Hippo Driver & Cotswold shoes.

But had it as my target to reach a certain ability before changing them for better (15h'cap, I think it was - got TM Burner Bubbles & GB Bertha driver).

I figure that if you are decent with poor equipment you will be good with good equipment!

So now that I'm of a fairly good ability I spend more (I also have more to spend).

The problem with the amount of golf equipment out there is that there are two many people who blame the tools for a bad job!

Doesn't matter how good the irons if you've a terrible swing - just like moving from a blade to mallett putter hasn't helped my putting. As such I had a putting lesson last week!

Therefore as others have said - get more lessons not more clubs!

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
callaway as still de riguer for the all the gear no idea players in middlesbrough,i personally have no problems with them as long as they dont hold me up.i always like to look good when playing and have a designer label addiction in my everyday clothes so that spills over into my golfing attire,prefer the classic labels like ralph lauren,lacoste,and lyle and scott over j lindenberg and such.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I started out with good old regal clubs. The bag was no good so i bought a taylormade bag to stick em in. Once i got right into gold i decided to go get some decent irons to make it a little easier, and it did.

Then i went to the discount golf shop and got a new cobra f-speed at half the price.

Now i actually know what i am doing(just about) i can buy gear to suit.

Dont really care about all the gear no idea guys, its there money so let it be. Just like me taking up shooting and buying a top rifle, bi-pod and chest rig to get me started.

What is funny, as someone mentioned, are the guys who try and teach there mates and cant strike a decent shot them selves. I see this at my range all the time. Its normally the guys that try get in the bays next to the lessons and listen in!

tango101

Club Champion
www.christopherwedgburystudio.co.uk
I agree, not got the worlds best kit myself, but planning on treating myself to a decent set of custom made clubs one day once i hit a target...just don't know what that is yet! I guess it will be a handicap.

Been browsing on ebay, got some titlest pro v1x balls to play once I get better as well!