All the gear - No idea

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Had a chuckle this morning as went to the range for a small basket.

There was a guy down there and he had all the latet taylor made gear, the flashiest bag, the best clothes, footjoy classics, wore a rolex and had a flash car.

This guy however could not hit a decent shot, he had the worst swing I have ever seen and when he smashed his driver against the floor and yelled out I asked him if he had lessons, he said they are a waste of time and money.

What a prat.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know exactly the bloke you mean, I use to use a range in New Malden that was used by a lot of Korean business men who would turn up in steam pressed brand new golf gear and clubs and not be able to hit a barn door.

The range was a nightmare, combined with idiot im better than you thinking business men the place was teaming with screaming kids running onto the range and South Africans having happy Gilmore style long drive comps.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Flash Car - Check
Nice shiny bag - Check
Nice clubs - Check
Bad golf swing - Check

Lucky I haven't been to the range in a few days or this really could have been me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The range at Silvermere in Chobham is full of them. They go into the big onsite superstore and buy all the kit and then its out onto the range or the course to swing away manically (and with little effect).

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nice shiny bag - Yes
Nice clubs - Yes
Bad Golf swing - Oh Yes
Flash Car - NO

First time ever I have ever been glad to own a peugeot 307 :D :D

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm with you Stuart!

My good lady and family generously bought me a new set of irons, trolley bag and some clothes over christmas and birthday so I look smart as a dart...........

Right up until I swing the club back!

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This is absolutely not the thread for me!

I am hitting it sideways at the minute,not good when you have flash kit.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ive noticed this jon its the all the gear no idea lot alway see to have Taylormade stuff.... No offence to those with taylormade who can play! ..

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
They used to have Callaway.

What harm does it do if a few with a lot of wedge want to spend it on golf gear even if they are rubbish? I can't see the problem really. Silly if they get annoyed with it, but there is no reason to buy rubbish equipment if you can afford better.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I disagree with some of what you said murthtrhemog, I believe we should all start with rubbish equipment so as the person improves they really appreciate the quality of the more expensive advanced equipment.

Bit like my first car, an MG metro, was the most fun I have ever had with a car broke down all the time and taught me loads on how to fix cars and look after them. I t should be the same with golf in my eyes.

Page

Medal Winner
Visit site
They used to have Callaway.

What harm does it do if a few with a lot of wedge want to spend it on golf gear even if they are rubbish? I can't see the problem really. Silly if they get annoyed with it, but there is no reason to buy rubbish equipment if you can afford better.

agreed. it's people like this that sometimes put the clubs up for sale which means someone might get a bargain! that can only be a good thing! see? silver lining and all that!

Timberbonce

Head Pro
Visit site
I only recently got into the great game, (just coming upto a year ago actually) I joined the local club and my handicap is 22 at the moment and fingers crossed, touch wood will be getting cut this sunday.
I obviously needed some gear to play with and i'm lucky enough to be able to afford fairly resonable stuff, i put in some research in my favourite mag and chat to my pro and then i enjoy buying and using the gear (i don't buy it all at once). I get really annoyed though when i hear the snidey remarks when they think i'm not listening "all the gear and no idea"
My feelings are it will work out cheaper in the long run to buy the slightly better stuff now than have to buy it a year down the line. and at least i can't blame the gear.

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
Did the fella look like the one my mug??

2457002840_f681b635a5_m.jpg

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know its your birthday (hope it has gone well!) but flipping heck!

If you can afford it and you want it,then have it!!

Was pals with David Llewellin when I was a kid,his first road car at 17 was a 3 Litre Capri and he ended up British Rally Champion.

There will be just as many tales of guys starting with pushbikes and ending up F1 Champ,so what,it doesnt matter.

What does bother me is the assumption because you can buy the best kit that you know all about golf and how it should be played.

Not articulating this well but I hope you get the gist.