Alignment stick on the course ?????

oleinone

Visit site
Had a 9 hole playing lesson . My alignment, especially with driver, completely wrong with feet pointing well to the right of target. I've somehow adapted to this and hit mainly straight but it blocks the left side and hampers a free follow through. The pro prescribed using an alignment stick on the tee for a week or three. He said not to think about the alignment, just to line up with the stick and let the change become "natural". It's made quite a difference with a real gain in distance. I'm aware that it's verboten in a comp. Been surprised by the response of some playing partners. In the most casual of rounds with literally nothing at stake, a certain grumpiness at the improvement - snarky remarks.

Mandofred

Visit site
If you are not playing for money etc, I don't see a problem with it as long as you check ahead of time to see if anybody cares. Every once in a while I plan to experiment while playing (like adjusting driver/wood loft during round), so far nobody cares.....and I wouldn't do it if someone does care.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If the PPs are mates I wouldn't care if they used them for a couple of rounds even if there was money/drinks/bragging rights at stake... but I sure would call out some snarky comments during the round :LOL:

If PP's are just fellow golfers I'd prefer they checked first & would probably be a bit put out to see what could be 'faffing' on each tee box if I didn't know in advance

If they're just grumpy at your improvement rather than mates banter then they're probably not mates

Albo

Visit site
I’d have no issue at all. If it was a mate I’d take the proverbial, if it were a random I’d just shrug and probably think I should try it myself at some point

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
No issue at all from me as long as it was done quickly. But as you’ve found out some people will find any reason to be grumpy.

The grumpy old men that complain will be the same ones who spend 5 minutes looking for a pink castle tee.

Mandofred

Visit site
No issue at all from me as long as it was done quickly. But as you’ve found out some people will find any reason to be grumpy.

The grumpy old men that complain will be the same ones who spend 5 minutes looking for a pink castle tee.
God, I hate losing tees...any kind of tees. I don't mind breaking them.....but for some reason them "disappearing" drives me nuts. I'll climb down a cliff risking my life just to get that tee back.....

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

:ROFLMAO: so true

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I mentioned this to a PP about how I struggle to get a line when stood on some tees. Esp if the green keepers put the pots “off angle” to the centre of the fairway. PP said if you have a line down your ball, point it in the direction you want your square stance to be. Once you have placed your ball on tee peg, stand behind and see that the line is where you want to be going. If not adjust. I would be doing this along with your alignment sticks as part of your routine because at some point you will have to dump the sticks.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
As others have said, just ask the PPs on the day if they object. Alternatively, once you start getting a little more comfortable, and/or you find PPs getting annoyed, you could ask them to check your alignment for you (in non-comp and non-money games) rather than use the sticks all the time. I would like to think more people will be okay with lining you up ahead of waiting for you to throw the sticks down.
The last post about using the line on the ball is a great one.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I had the same problem of aiming right but feeling like I was aiming straight.
I now tee my ball up and use a marker that’s a few feet in front of it to line up.
Square the club face up to the ball & marker &set up my stance to that.

if that makes sense.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
My only concern would be how much extra time it is probably adding to the time it takes to take your shot.

Aye dropping an alignment stick on the ground then picking it up again will add at least ten minutes onto his pre shot routine.

?

I've witnessed numpties spend 5 minutes looking for a pink castle tee.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Aye dropping an alignment stick on the ground then picking it up again will add at least ten minutes onto his pre shot routine.

?

I've witnessed numpties spend 5 minutes looking for a pink castle tee.

Judging buy one of my (very slow mates ) it will be drop the stick, look at target line move the stick, look at target line, move it back to where it was first time, align feet look at target line , go back to look behind stick because you still not believe what you are seeing, take the stance and hit the shot way left or right because you forget in all of that to have the ball in the correct position.

Go back behind the stick to look once again at where it was aiming.

Repeat 40 plus times in a round.

Mandofred

Visit site
Judging buy one of my (very slow mates ) it will be drop the stick, look at target line move the stick, look at target line, move it back to where it was first time, align feet look at target line , go back to look behind stick because you still not believe what you are seeing, take the stance and hit the shot way left or right because you forget in all of that to have the ball in the correct position.

Go back behind the stick to look once again at where it was aiming.

Repeat 40 plus times in a round.
Then I would tell him he can't use it. If they can use it and not cause a problem, fine......if not he doesn't get to use it. I just throw my fairway mat down and "kind of" line it up to the hole. Some people take ages to get it lined up exactly. I don't understand it, but I also don't understand why it drives some people nuts if the tee markers aren't pointed perfectly. Why would you use the tee markers to aim? I try to line myself up to the target and point the clubface towards the target.....simples.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Best done when out playing alone.

Tolerable with good friends.

Definitely a no no if playing with people you dont know or rarely play with. Its unfair even to ask them, as that puts them on the spot, and awkward to turn down if they dont want you to. Its too much of an imposition.

Last edited:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Yep. My mates aren’t the most pro development either! They’re alright otherwise though which is why I haven’t sacked them off ???

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I can’t believe people get so precious about practicing during a friendly, non competition round. If I was playing a friendly whack with mates and someone dropped an alignment stick down then, whilst I might extract the urine, I certainly wouldn’t give them a hard time for it.