Air Temperature and the golf ball .

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
With the warm conditions over this weekend, in some places over 30 deg, i have never played abroad, so have not experience of really hot conditions

I play in the north of Scotland and though we have had these sort of temps in the past, rarely been playing when it it that hot and the odd time its been mid to high 20's, but that usually includes a breeze still.

On Sat night around FP i was easily carrying my PW a good 10 yards further than i normally would, admittedly there was no wind at all and i can't imagine Lincolnshire is that far above sea level.

So all i can surmise is that the Prov1 works best at 30 and above.

anyone else find this at the weekend or have experience of playing in 30deg plus

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You also need to consider the impact of humidity to the temp itself. A high humidity could well cancel out any effect of high temperature

So it'll go further in a nice dry heat than it will with humid heat of the same temp

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As slab points out you have 2 seperate factors in play.

Ball temperature - Titleist list the impact on the ProV1 somewhere but from memory that focuses on the drop off below 20° which implies that there's not significant gains above that. Given the complex material science in such balls that doesn't surprise me.

Air density: reduces with increased temperature, altitude and reduced humidity.

Personally I haven't seen significant differences above 20 that didn't go hand in hand with really dry air as well.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was speaking to a pro once who had played in South Africa.

We were playing a links course one day that was very windy. About a 3 club wind.

He said in SA it was just as windy yet the wind had such little affect to the ball. Said he would maybe club up 1 club compared to 3 clubs in the UK due to the heat and air density differences.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I was speaking to a pro once who had played in South Africa.

We were playing a links course one day that was very windy. About a 3 club wind.

He said in SA it was just as windy yet the wind had such little affect to the ball. Said he would maybe club up 1 club compared to 3 clubs in the UK due to the heat and air density differences.
that could be altitude as a links would be at sea level.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As slab points out you have 2 seperate factors in play.

Ball temperature - Titleist list the impact on the ProV1 somewhere but from memory that focuses on the drop off below 20° which implies that there's not significant gains above that. Given the complex material science in such balls that doesn't surprise me.

Air density: reduces with increased temperature, altitude and reduced humidity.

Personally I haven't seen significant differences above 20 that didn't go hand in hand with really dry air as well.
Ive never seen much change in my PW from about 15deg to 20 something, but Sat it was def flying 10 yards further, it was quite humid in those tree's with no wind and hot temps, thats the only reason i could think of. had a few laser readings of flags a 130/35 with the flags looking back so took PW to stay below the flag and all went right up to it and all stopped dead.??

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Middle of winter vs now is at least a club.

In the winter the ball is colder but also so am I, wrapped up in restrictive layers which inhibit power.

Then add the course conditions, boggy and sticky wet grass just don’t allow run!

Now playing in short sleeves with warm muscles, warm balls and dry running ground the club choice is affected.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
He didn't say it was altitude but agree it could have had an impact.

He did seem pretty convinced it was the warmer weather making the wind not have as much of an impact

You do def know when guys come and play at ours who usually play at higher altitude, usually yanks, always reckon they hit 7 irons 180, but never manage more an 150 here;)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
that could be altitude as a links would be at sea level.
Altitude is a factor taken into account for Course Rating.
The difference between an altitude of <2000ft and 9000ft
Scratch drive 250/260 yards - 281/291 yards
Bogey drive 200/210 yards - 225/235 yards