Air Fryers … any good / recommendations

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is there really that much difference between an air fryer and a halogen oven?
Asked the same question #172 Bob. No one, other than our resident white goods expert, seemed to want to discuss but it appears that the air frier saves a lot of money compared to a conventional oven and, that if you experiment enough, you may get decent chips :rolleyes:

If you've already got one Bob, stick with the halogen. It's actually quite a bit better at cooking proper (and improper I guess) food. The fad for the newest must have gadget will soon pass.

imvho of course.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It could be that no one on here has a halogen oven and so are unable to answer the question.

From a bit of research via the old Google.. halogen uses less energy than a conventional oven ..

But air fryer uses even less as it is shorter cooking times

However it seems people weren't that worried about energy before but since the russian invasion and higher prices air fryers have been popular for people to save cash

Ours goes on at least once if not twice a day ..it's fantastic for kids food

Got it well before the invasion because I love a gadget and my food , has turned out to be one of our most used kitchen items

In comparison our oven went on about 10 times last year? The air fryer was at least 365

So much so when we replace the kitchen I'd go for a smaller oven (we have a double range thing. Came with house) and would get two air fryers (a double one like we have then a bigger one maybe combination pressure cook to do joints of meat) because we prefer the finished cook in the air fryer over the oven

We had an air fryer years ago those Tefal ones .. never used it..was rubbish the times we did ...these new ones are a lot better

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It could be that no one on here has a halogen oven and so are unable to answer the question.
We haven’t considered one for our new kitchen given the variety of cooking options our two ovens will give us…though haven’t yet decided if we’ll go for a conventional oven with steam option. That’s an expensive maybe.

D-S

Visit site
When we designed our kitchen about 7 years ago, we had a built in microwave/grill. If I were doing it again now I would definitely be building in an air fryer. We‘ve had one for about 3 years and have upgraded to a double Ninja - it gets used more than the microwave.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In theory we could take out our oven as only use the airfryer or hob now. If our oven breaks I don't plan to replace it. My Ninja multi cooker is over two years old now so no fad buy.

PXL_20230122_112502865_copy_1024x768.jpg

This is our oven (came with house) don't get me wrong this oven is brilliant. However when the kitchen is done I don't think we need something taking up so much room

I'd be tempted then to ditch the insta pot (out of picture) for a ninja all in one pressure cooker and air fryer for big stuff, keep the dual zone one (pictured) and get a normal sized oven with an induction hob

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
View attachment 46110

This is our oven (came with house) don't get me wrong this oven is brilliant. However when the kitchen is done I don't think we need something taking up so much room

I'd be tempted then to ditch the insta pot (out of picture) for a ninja all in one pressure cooker and air fryer for big stuff, keep the dual zone one (pictured) and get a normal sized oven with an induction hob

That's set my OCD for no kitchen gadgets or stuff being on the worktops into overdrive :p

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
why not buy a conventional oven with air fry option?
I am not aware of one, other than what is termed fan cooking....which is 99% of all new ovens now:)
That is all an air fryer is, a radiant ring (from your old electric cooker hobs) with a fan to blow air over it into below. Just a smaller cavity to heat/fill.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I am not aware of one, other than what is termed fan cooking....which is 99% of all new ovens now:)
That is all an air fryer is, a radiant ring (from your old electric cooker hobs) with a fan to blow air over it into below. Just a smaller cavity to heat/fill.

So an Air Fryer is just a small convection oven? ?

For some reason I thought it was something else.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So an Air Fryer is just a small convection oven? ?

For some reason I thought it was something else.

And if you are a family doing more than one course you'll be operating the oven and/or hobs and/or microwave to gat all the dishes cooked for the same tme.

Ok for 'sad' ready meals for one!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Just waiting for our newly ordered Lakeland 9 litre air fryer with a double draw which replaces our smaller Costco one that we were given.