Air Fryers … any good / recommendations

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have finally given in to the air fryer thing. Refused to buy a Ninja simply becuase half my village have them and they are like a cult discussing what Ninja products they need next when their counter tops are already covered with devices that all duplicate what the other does. Very happy with my Insta pot vortex dual, especially as it was £100 less than the Ninja alternative and does exactly the same things.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I have finally given in to the air fryer thing. Refused to buy a Ninja simply becuase half my village have them and they are like a cult discussing what Ninja products they need next when their counter tops are already covered with devices that all duplicate what the other does. Very happy with my Insta pot vortex dual, especially as it was £100 less than the Ninja alternative and does exactly the same things.
Apparently the latest ninja must have is an ice cream maker. The local peasants will be in meltdown as to who gets the first one. 😁👍

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apparently the latest ninja must have is an ice cream maker. The local peasants will be in meltdown as to who gets the first one. 😁👍
Yeah but it is not even self chilling. Basically a blender/mixer you stick in the freezer. Should see the clamour to get the BBQ thing. Basically an electric outdoor hot plate with no connection to BBQ cooking

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah but it is not even self chilling. Basically a blender/mixer you stick in the freezer. Should see the clamour to get the BBQ thing. Basically an electric outdoor hot plate with no connection to BBQ cooking

I just looked it up. So you freeze and blend?? My nutribullet can do that - far less than £199. Ninja stuff is quality but pricey for sure.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just looked it up. So you freeze and blend?? My nutribullet can do that - far less than £199. Ninja stuff is quality but pricey for sure.
They have done a great job of selling people high priced stuff, well made, that does the same thing as what you have in the kitchen already does. Only other thing that does tempt me is the one that is a pressure cooker as it is a damn site safer than the old school pressure cooker I have

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
They have done a great job of selling people high priced stuff, well made, that does the same thing as what you have in the kitchen already does. Only other thing that does tempt me is the one that is a pressure cooker as it is a damn site safer than the old school pressure cooker I have

Yep. I have the foodi 9 in 1 which is pressure cooker and steamer and dehumudifier and air fryer and a few other things :)

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

In fairness it does smoke food as well, doesn’t it also circulate hot air (for low and slow) as well as having the hot plate for burgers and steaks?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So an Air Fryer is just a small convection oven? ?

For some reason I thought it was something else.
Me too. For our new kitchen we have a main large fan oven and a separate small oven that also has a fan setting…so in effect with it I also have an air fryer without knowing it. I am made up…I think…🤔

D-S

Visit site
Me too. For our new kitchen we have a main large fan oven and a separate small oven that also has a fan setting…so in effect with it I also have an air fryer without knowing it. I am made up…I think…🤔
We have a fan oven plus a separate grill/microwave and also a dual air fryer, they are not the same.

D-S

Visit site
Air fryers cook quicker than convection ovens and don't require heating a large appliance, like your full-sized oven. Their perforated racks also allow fat to drip onto the drip pan so your food doesn't absorb excess oil, which minimizes calories and becomes crispier.
The fan is located on the top of an air fryer, directly below the heating element. In a convection oven, it's located in the back of the oven, either in the center or on the side.
One manufacturer confirmed that the fan on their air fryer setting is 30% faster than their fan on convection.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Air fryers cook quicker than convection ovens and don't require heating a large appliance, like your full-sized oven. Their perforated racks also allow fat to drip onto the drip pan so your food doesn't absorb excess oil, which minimizes calories and becomes crispier.
The fan is located on the top of an air fryer, directly below the heating element. In a convection oven, it's located in the back of the oven, either in the center or on the side.
One manufacturer confirmed that the fan on their air fryer setting is 30% faster than their fan on convection.
We have various baking trays with racks that do exactly the same thing in our oven, even our grill tray uses the same technology. I believe they have been around for many years. Don't fall for the same marketing hype that they use to sell new golf clubs

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’d say we now use our Ninja at least 5 days a week minimum, yeah at first it was can I make the perfect chip lol but it really is a game changer. A whole chicken on steam roast with the probe…sooo sooo moist with crispy skin 🤤
Pressure cooked pork shoulder finished with an air fry blast, perfect pulled pork 🤤
If it broke tonight I’d be straight on to the website to get a new one 👌

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have various baking trays with racks that do exactly the same thing in our oven, even our grill tray uses the same technology. I believe they have been around for many years. Don't fall for the same marketing hype that they use to sell new golf clubs
That may be similar but the air fryer can cook something at a lower heat, for less time to give the same end result. Bear in mind the heat is also near instant so no need to put it on and leave for a few minutes whilst it heats up. They may not be the miracle items that the marketing people want you to think they are but they are still significantly more efficient and cheaper to run than a standard oven. For those without a big family, and so not needing a full oven to cook with, they make sense.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That may be similar but the air fryer can cook something at a lower heat, for less time to give the same end result. Bear in mind the heat is also near instant so no need to put it on and leave for a few minutes whilst it heats up. They may not be the miracle items that the marketing people want you to think they are but they are still significantly more efficient and cheaper to run than a standard oven. For those without a big family, and so not needing a full oven to cook with, they make sense.
I agree on the cost thing but I will take the rest of the claims about cooking 'better' food with a pinch of salt (pun intended ;) )

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
They do have a purpose. I guess the nearest comparison would be to a toaster, I can toast bread under the grill but it is more efficient to use the toaster.

I do have an issue with some of the marketing. The way that it is adverstised, it looks like it does all the cooking for you but you still need to go through the same steps as when using an oven and hob just in one machine.