Air Fryers … any good / recommendations

NeilV

Visit site
We got a Ninja Foodi for xmas. Had a couple of goes at chips, once air fried and once steam fried, but not had a chance to play properly yet.
What's people's take on the best way to do chips? Mine were hand cut, soaked in water for a while then rinsed, dried and sprayed with veg oil. Tasted good but weren't as crispy as I would have liked. Gave them about 22 mins at 180 I think.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We got a Ninja Foodi for xmas. Had a couple of goes at chips, once air fried and once steam fried, but not had a chance to play properly yet.
What's people's take on the best way to do chips? Mine were hand cut, soaked in water for a while then rinsed, dried and sprayed with veg oil. Tasted good but weren't as crispy as I would have liked. Gave them about 22 mins at 180 I think.

My chip method has been similar to yours, I've found the most important things in order to get crispy chips are that they're properly dry (I will bung mine in the fridge for a couple of hours after I've dried them if I have time) and that I don't overload the basket.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

soak in water, dry, spray one cal, salt and pepper and max fry. Missis Ts special recipe.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Finally got a Ninja foodi max dual zone coming tomorrow ??.
Is it worth buying liners to save on cleaning?

It all depends on what you are making. The containers are very very easy to clean and have trays with holes in them to allow for fat and juices to drip through, if you have liners the fat etc stays within the liners and food. There are plenty of instances though where the liners use are very good.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I find chip shop style is the best way. Thickish cut, par boiled, dried (naturally) oiled and air fried. I aim for chip shop so not too crispy.

Experiment and see what happens if for example you up the temp and reduce the time. You can also leave the lid closed after its finished and they keep cooking a bit and might crisp up.

Par boiling is essential I think, but not for too long or they go too soft and become a gloopy mess!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I read an article this week about a nutritionist who bought an air fryer but got rid after a month as she realised that her family were just eating beige food. They had gone from having chips about once a fortnight to 3-4 times a week and their vegetable intake had dropped to virtually nil. Has anyone else found that their diet has totally changed - and not necessarily for the better?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I read an article this week about a nutritionist who bought an air fryer but got rid after a month as she realised that her family were just eating beige food. They had gone from having chips about once a fortnight to 3-4 times a week and their vegetable intake had dropped to virtually nil. Has anyone else found that their diet has totally changed - and not necessarily for the better?

Not at all, I simply use the fryer as a mini oven as and when its appropriate.

Myself and my wife use Gousto for our dinners every day so we eat pretty balanced meals.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not at all, I simply use the fryer as a mini oven as and when its appropriate.

Myself and my wife use Gousto for our dinners every day so we eat pretty balanced meals.

Same, if anything I’m eating healthier as a chicken breast only takes 14 minutes thus a quick and easy tea ?
I think the chips thing is something you do when you first get one, try to perfect a great chip, once you’ve nailed it you move onto something else.

Tashyboy

Visit site

I would seriously question whether the nutritionalist actually knew about diets in the first place. Missis T has been going to Slimming World for a year and has lost 2 stone. It is a healthy diet in which the Air fryer has been central to the diet and has complimented her diet. Tonight was Chips and hunters chicken done in the air fryer. The only sin was the BBQ sauce.

What I would suggest is that it will make cooking processed food easier And cheaper.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting. Anything I've tried to keep sugar/carbs low and uses Yoghurt does have a slightly sour taste. Having said that - smothered in Nutella they could be pretty fine :)