Air Fryers … any good / recommendations

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This was talked about on the radio on Thursday. It's way cheaper to use an air fryer, numbers confirmed in this link

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/cost-of-living/cost-running-oven-air-fryer-7507065

Thanks but again this was not our question of what is like for like energy use of cooking the same item.

You can’t look at at the maximum rated power of both items and just multiply it by time as the duty cycles are different.

I think I’ll just shut up and work it out myself. ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks but again this was not our question of what is like for like energy use of cooking the same item.

You can’t look at at the maximum rated power of both items and just multiply it by time as the duty cycles are different.

I think I’ll just shut up and work it out myself. ?

Considering the general rule of air fryers is to use the same temp as the oven but reduce the time by 1/3rd .. doesn't take pre heating so that's a lot of time saved

They use less energy than an oven does , so for less time not exact numbers but it will save a fair bit

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
FB_IMG_1661618467252.jpg

Found this @Jimaroid

Apparently based on cooking the Same dish in each of these appliances

Not sure what the price per kw .. but let's assume 28p so when price cap rises those figures will be even more in favour

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Again thanks but this isn’t what I’m looking for. I’m not disputing the relative cost savings, I just want the specific energy consumption of oven compared to air frier for one item. I can’t find anyone that’s done that test. I’m going to stop replying now because it’s just derailing the thread.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Again thanks but this isn’t what I’m looking for. I’m not disputing the relative cost savings, I just want the specific energy consumption of oven compared to air frier for one item. I can’t find anyone that’s done that test. I’m going to stop replying now because it’s just derailing the thread.

But isn't cost directly linked to the amount of energy used?

I mean take oven chips

25 mins in oven at 220 degrees

They take 18 mins in air fryer at 200 we find

You save the 5 mins pre heat aswell

So that's 30 mins of oven Vs 18 mins of air fryer

"On average air fryers use between 1,400 and 1,700 watts of electricity which converts to between 1.4kwh and 1.7kwh per hour of use. The average cost to fun an air fryer will depend on the energy prices and how long you use your air fryer within a month period."

https://mybudgetrecipes.com/how-much-money-electricity-does-it-cost-to-run-an-air-fryer/

"How Many Watts Does an Electric Stove Use?
Let's end the suspense with some basic cost estimates. Most electric ovens draw between 2,000 and 5,000 watts, with the average electric stove wattage coming in at around 3,000 watts. So how much energy does an electric stove use per hour? Assuming an electricity rate of 12 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh), a 3000-watt oven will cost you about 36 cents per hour at high heat."

https://www.directenergy.com/learning-center/how-much-energy-does-oven-and-electric-stove-use

So even if you assume the lowest usage oven of 2kw the air fryer at the highest 1.7kw the energy usage will be a fraction because it's almost half the time for that item

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Not sure if this is what you are looking for either Jim, but I did a little experiment to see using a clamp meter to monitor current draw Oven vs Air Fryer.

Ninja AF300 air fryer using one zone (max rated power consumption 2.4Kw)Vs CDA double oven using main fan oven (Max rated power consumption 4Kw)

Test food was 500g of McCain French fries (weighed out for each application).

Oven set to recommended 220C time to preheat was 7 minutes with a cook time of 20 minutes.

Air fryer was MaxCrisp setting at 240C cook time was 12 minutes.

From switching on to preheat, oven drew a steady 12.1A giving a power consumption of 2.9Kw for 27 minutes.

The air fryer drew a steady 6.4A giving a power consumption of 1.5Kw for 12 minutes.

So the oven was consuming 1.4Kw more for 12 mins and 2.9Kw more for 15 minutes.

The oven fries were also not cooked as well IMO, the air fryer gave much better and more even colour and crispness.

Don’t know if that helps but killed an hour for me ??

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure if this is what you are looking for either Jim, but I did a little experiment to see using a clamp meter to monitor current draw Oven vs Air Fryer.

Ninja AF300 air fryer using one zone (max rated power consumption 2.4Kw)Vs CDA double oven using main fan oven (Max rated power consumption 4Kw)

Oven set to recommended 220C time to preheat was 7 minutes with a cook time of 20 minutes.

From switching on to preheat, oven drew a steady 12.1A giving a power consumption of 2.9Kw for 27 minutes.

The air fryer drew a steady 6.4A giving a power consumption of 1.5Kw for 12 minutes.

The oven fries were also not cooked as well IMO, the air fryer gave much better and more even colour and crispness.

Now that’s a post ?????

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Interesting aswell as I thought the max crisp would use more

So when I use both zones to cook chicken and chips it's still using less than the oven for 27 mins or whatever it is lol brilliant

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting aswell as I thought the max crisp would use more

So when I use both zones to cook chicken and chips it's still using less than the oven for 27 mins or whatever it is lol brilliant

Just as a comparison, single zone on 220C air-fry was pulling 5.9A so not much less than max crisp, so around 1.4Kw.

What is odd is that both zones on max crisp seem to pull 10.4A which is seemingly slightly over the max rated 2.4Kw.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yep it’s pretty close, thanks, you are at least the first person I’ve found who’s actually metered the appliances to compare one thing!

I/we are trying to work out the time it takes for a 1.5kW constant draw of the air frier exceeding the on/off duty cycle of the 2KW oven including its preheat.

I’m just going to have to do the test myself I think.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep it’s pretty close, thanks, you are at least the first person I’ve found who’s actually metered the appliances to compare one thing!

I/we are trying to work out the time it takes for a 1.5kW constant draw of the air frier exceeding the on/off duty cycle of the 2KW oven including its preheat.

Will vary wildly on what the cycle is for any given appliance I suppose.

Experiment killed an hour and I got a big bowl of fries out of it.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

To expand on your excellent research the Oven cost 36.5p to cook the chips and the AF cost 8.4p based on U.K. April 22 tariff.

A hefty saving it seems for a superior product. Might have to look into getting one. If I can find room for it!

(https://www.sust-it.net/energy-calculator.php)

Ps did you eat the full Kilo of chips yourself? ?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Why?