Air Fryers … any good / recommendations

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is a lot of love for the Ninja brand. Are Tefal as good or is it worth paying the extra?

I think more people go for the Ninja because they are mostly dual zone and have a good brand reputation. Tefal all seem to be single zone which influenced our decision between Tefal, Philips and Ninja. Eventually we went for the AF300 which has been brilliant.

There's other dual zone machines out there but brands like Tower, Salter or Daewoo (plus the plethora of Amazon weird names) might make some people nervous of a 200+ degree cooking machine.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think more people go for the Ninja because they are mostly dual zone and have a good brand reputation. Tefal all seem to be single zone which influenced our decision between Tefal, Philips and Ninja. Eventually we went for the AF300 which has been brilliant.

There's other dual zone machines out there but brands like Tower, Salter or Daewoo (plus the plethora of Amazon weird names) might make some people nervous of a 200+ degree cooking machine.

Entirely this.. the dual zone was perfect for us.. can cook two diff things at diff temps.

Then because of how well the fryer has worked when it came to replacing the kettle and I saw a ninja one it made me want that one as I thought of how impressive the fryer has been

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What are the Ninja air fryers like for using under a wall unit in the kitchen, do they let off a lot of steam, heat etc. Missis Tlooking at getting one but there’s a discussion about where it would fit.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What are the Ninja air fryers like for using under a wall unit in the kitchen, do they let off a lot of steam, heat etc. Missis Tlooking at getting one but there’s a discussion about where it would fit.
I've been reading a lot of reviews on this over the last week o_O. One of the Pro's of the Ninja is the lack of heat given off from the unit apparently. Being under the unit shouldn't be an issue, assuming the reviews are accurate.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been reading a lot of reviews on this over the last week o_O. One of the Pro's of the Ninja is the lack of heat given off from the unit apparently. Being under the unit shouldn't be an issue, assuming the reviews are accurate.

Yeah that aren't too bad. They get warm on top so can't store things on top..you can touch it but wouldn't store things there

Been so impressed that when we redo the kitchen in few years I might go for a much smaller oven (previous owner put in one of those range ovens that are two massive ovens with 5 hobs on top) with a separate induction hob as use the oven a lot lot less with these ..

Reheating BBQ food.. that was what won the Mrs over she thought it was a waste of money...reheated on BBQ food for us next day. So much nicer and took only 5 mins

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mrs talking about buying an air fryer.. never saw one before last weekend. Any experience or recommendations for a family of 4 type

Is it only for making chips or can you do things like chicken, Mars bars etc.

Got a Ninja Duo - brilliant, can cook pretty much anything in the air fryer.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone measured the energy consumption in like-for-like cooking between air fryer and oven? Using a monitor or similar?

Not on the wind up - genuine question as it came up in conversation with some pals and we could only find some incorrectly estimated blog posts and suchlike.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has anyone measured the energy consumption in like-for-like cooking between air fryer and oven? Using a monitor or similar?

Not on the wind up - genuine question as it came up in conversation with some pals and we could only find some incorrectly estimated blog posts and suchlike.

No, but you are not having to heat an oven up for 20 minutes and everything takes less time to cook at a lower temperature. All I know is our electricity costs have reduced since having my Foodi.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, but you are not having to heat an oven up for 20 minutes and everything takes less time to cook at a lower temperature. All I know is our electricity costs have reduced since having my Foodi.

I understand that but we’re looking for a measurement because there will be a crossover in time where the oven becomes more efficient.

To be honest I think I might just have to do some tests and measure it ourselves.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I understand that but we’re looking for a measurement because there will be a crossover in time where the oven becomes more efficient.

To be honest I think I might just have to do some tests and measure it ourselves.

The oven will become more efficient at a certain point yes ,

But I mean other night we cooked chips one side, chicken another and put garlic bread on the top half way through and it cooked it nicer than the oven does but in less time (plus no pre heating)

Ovens are ofc great for bigger things, just depends on the meal.

I mean I wouldn't cook a lasagna in it

Depends on guest numbers

If it's just for a family or meals for 2 people their more efficient for sure

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends on guest numbers

Yeah again this is why we wanted some numbers because we were trying to get a like for like measure on what it costs for e.g. 4 jacket potatoes and a tray of roast veg. Nobody seems to actually measure them.

We have an Instapot and they’re really efficient for stews and sauces etc. If the daughter wasn’t so keen on pizza we could probably get by without using the oven at all.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah again this is why we wanted some numbers because we were trying to get a like for like measure on what it costs for e.g. 4 jacket potatoes and a tray of roast veg. Nobody seems to actually measure them.

We have an Instapot and they’re really efficient for stews and sauces etc. If the daughter wasn’t so keen on pizza we could probably get by without using the oven at all.

We have insta pot. Have to admit wish we had gone for the ninja one because it has an air fryer aswell as an option on the cook

Pizza is good in the air fryer, just have to cut it up first and cook

Cooks quickly and very well

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Again no need to heat up the oven so I cant see how it can't not be cheaper. I do start jackets off in the microwave but would have done that before anyway. Beauty of the Foodi is that you can stack things in it. Veg in bottom then rack in and spuds on top.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

This was talked about on the radio on Thursday. It's way cheaper to use an air fryer, numbers confirmed in this link

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/cost-of-living/cost-running-oven-air-fryer-7507065