Aimpoint

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Never heard of it until tonight.
Just seen a "senior aimpoint coach" on sky talking about aimpoint.
It sounds very interesting and just wondering if any guys use it or have more info?

Found it quite funny that the guy missed all his putts though! 🙈

D

Deleted member 1418

Personally think it's a load of rubbish - IMHO it's very easy to see if a green slopes or not, and by how much. But if it works for those who do use it then fair enough.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Never heard of it until tonight.
Just seen a "senior aimpoint coach" on sky talking about aimpoint.
It sounds very interesting and just wondering if any guys use it or have more info?

Found it quite funny that the guy missed all his putts though! 🙈

Done the course and I'm a firm advocate. Did my own mid handicap take https://youtu.be/HKxTlCCspqc if you want a feel for it. It was only £99 for a two hour course and I honestly believe it has helped my green reading especially on new courses I've not played before. Of course you still have to hit it well off the putter and get the speed but if you have a good line it's half the battle

D

Deleted member 15717

Yup. I use it and a firm advocate. No more crouching and looking and trying to work out the breaks.

I feel like it has helped, and that is all that matters

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site

Ahhhh, memory lane. Thread 4 includes some of my finest work. Way before Jonny (come lately) with the old aimpoint parody 🤣🤣🤣🤣 & they say genius isn’t recognised when you’re still alive :eek:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hope the guys who use it are not stepping on their line of putt.
A number of amateur championship players are being warned by referees.

How do you know the line until you have walked halfway to the hole?

D

Deleted member 16999

How does the referees know the line if the player doesn’t or is the ref warning them afterwards?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s just a different method, it’s not better or worse, just different.

I always read low side then low end. I address, two practice swings looking at the hole then putt.

What’s more important is that you have a concise, timely, respectful pre shot routine. It’s far better than having nothing.

D

Deleted member 16999

If they stand on their own line then is it not to their detriment? They are damaging their own line potentially.

Separate to your point, more an observation.
Don’t know mate, hopefully rulefan will clarify from a refs perspective.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

This is where it falls down for me.
Part of the aimpoint method involves standing across (straddling) the basic line of putt and evaluating the slope
Then, once you've worked out the slope %age and the speed of the green, that allows to use the correct number of fingers to work out your actual line.
So how can you be 100% sure you're not standing on your line when you don't know your line?
Apologies of I've got that wrong but that's the way it seems to me.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
This is where it falls down for me.
Part of the aimpoint method involves standing across (straddling) the basic line of putt and evaluating the slope
Then, once you've worked out the slope %age and the speed of the green, that allows to use the correct number of fingers to work out your actual line.
So how can you be 100% sure you're not standing on your line when you don't know your line?
Apologies of I've got that wrong but that's the way it seems to me.

Jamie Donaldson told us that he advocates pointing to his best guess of the line with the putter handle then to walk down it and straddle it in such a way as to not walk on it. As any putting method of working out the line is not fool proof no one can pull you for treading on the line that YOU have decided as to the one they guess you should have chosen, so long as you're careful.

D

Deleted member 15717

As the whole process is finding the low side of the putt, then walking down the low side you are nowhere near the line of your putt.

If the putt is right to left, you will walk down the left side, and then putt down the right side.

As has been mentioned, Jamie does advise indicating where you are walking.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Each ot their own and whatever gives you the confidence to take the shot.
However how does the walking near the line work if you say have someone inside you but on the lower side?

D

Deleted member 15717

Each ot their own and whatever gives you the confidence to take the shot.
However how does the walking near the line work if you say have someone inside you but on the lower side?

Well, obviously you don’t step on their line, and you are given hints and tips in the course to help you with that