Ball disintegrated on final hole of qualifying round.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Bit of an odd one this but was wondering on the correct steps.
I lost a ball on the third hole and put a brand new ball in play. This new ball was brand new just out of the sleeve coming from a couple of boxes I bought late last year.
I played good and bad through the following holes but did notice a wierd sound on impact on the 13th and 14th tee shots (par three 8i and par 5 driver), almost like a double hit but in instant succession but thought nothing off it as both shots travelled distances expected.
Nothing strange again until I teed off the 18th hole, I normally hit a draw but the ball went off as a big slice across onto the 17th fairway which takes some doing to reach where I put it. Just put it down to a bad swing, I waited for the guys playing the 17th to get level with me before playing, hit a 3wd into the wind, sounded perfect, one of the guys actually remarked how well it sounded but as he said it the ball violently lost height and split into several pieces in the gorse ahead of me.
I hit a provisional and of course duffed the next so I had to take a drop, obviously never found the first as it was so deep into the gorse and ended with an eight.
Is there any provision for this happening in the rules or is it just a suck it up moment?

Steven Rules

Visit site
Rule 4.2b
Ball Breaks into Pieces While Playing Hole
If a player’s ball breaks into pieces after a stroke, there is no penalty and the stroke does not count.
The player must play another ball from where that stroke was made (see Rule 14.6).
Penalty for Playing Ball from a Wrong Place in Breach of Rule 4.2b: General Penalty under Rule 14.7a

salfordlad

Visit site
:) First the good news: your score for the hole was really only a 7, the S&D penalty embedded in your provisional ball should not have been counted.
:rolleyes: Now the bad news: when you submit a score card that includes a penalty that didn't actually get incurred, the higher score is the only one the Committee can count. No correction is allowed by you or the Committee.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
:) First the good news: your score for the hole was really only a 7, the S&D penalty embedded in your provisional ball should not have been counted.
:rolleyes: Now the bad news: when you submit a score card that includes a penalty that didn't actually get incurred, the higher score is the only one the Committee can count. No correction is allowed by you or the Committee.
Yea, chances of a decent score were cooked well before I got to the 18th so it didnt really matter, what bothered me more was that its the second ball of its make and model to do this, granted the first wasn't quite as theatrical in how it gave up. Cheers folks for clearing it up anyway, I just wasn't sure at the time, one other blessing was that this poor score dislodged another poor score so handicap wasnt even affected by that bobbins of a round. :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a box of very well known premium balls and the first two balls split on me.
I emailed the manufacturer and they sent me some replacements.
they asked me to return the bad ones for testing.
worth a shout.

Jason.H

Visit site
I noticed a few months ago my playing partners strike sounded clicky and was coming up short which was unusual and I said to him “check your ball is ok”. He didnt for the next 3 holes then the ball had an obvious split.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
You have your answer but nobody has yet congratulated you on having such power that balls explode. Cap tipped sir! 🙏

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I had a box of very well known premium balls and the first two balls split on me.
I emailed the manufacturer and they sent me some replacements.
they asked me to return the bad ones for testing.
worth a shout.
Taylormade or Callaway? (I'm guessing as I have had balls split or worse from both). I contacted their customer services and said I had one of them still in my possession but they didn't want to deal with me directly, so I'll take it back to my pro where I bought them.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Taylormade or Callaway? (I'm guessing as I have had balls split or worse from both). I contacted their customer services and said I had one of them still in my possession but they didn't want to deal with me directly, so I'll take it back to my pro where I bought them.
Pro v1x