Advise on my first golf trip abroad

Wooky

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have booked my first ever golf trip abroad.
7 days, unlimited golf in the Canaries.
I need to buy a golf travel case for my bag & clubs.
My local golf shop only stocks fabric type travel cases, although they are well padded internally, I am worried about damage to my clubs.
Should I look around for a hard shell type case?
Any other advise appreciated.

r11john

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My local golf shop only stocks fabric type travel cases, although they are well padded internally, I am worried about damage to my clubs.
One with hard shell if not stick a to well around the clubs.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I've only got a soft case, but there is a good bit of padding on it. I also wrap a towel through the shafts and another around the driver head. Also, I stick a broom handle into the bag, so that it's taller than the driver. That way, if the baggage handlers get a little rough, it shouldn't snap.

MC72

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Hi there,

I've been abroad a few times playing golf and have taken my own clubs each time. I have a fabric type travel case which has reasonable padding around the clubs. A fabric case will be fine (I'll expand a bit more later!) and I would suggest you do what I do with regards to the club heads - wrap your golf clothing in between and around the clubs to act as cushioning follow that with a towel wrapped round the outside of the clubs and clothes and put on your bag rain hood which should hold it all in place. Doing this with your clothing will also save you some weight on your hold baggage.

With regards to the fabric bag....I've seen guys travel with just a std old carry bag with a bin bag brown taped round the top the sites you see at the baggage carousels can be an eye opener and often amusing!

One other piece of advice - Enjoy your golf in the sun!

Laka

Head Pro
Visit site
we have soft cases also, but there is "Ribs" in the horisontal plane on the backside of the travel case, and that solution gives a good protection against damage. That also means we can roll them togehter, so they dont take so much space in cars or in rooms. So far havent we had any problems with those travelcases.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I've been a number of times. I have the soft, fabric cover. Bubble wrap through and around the club heads. Never had any bother.

Agent Pies

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Can I ask who you booked that through? I'm looking at doing the same and unlimited golf sounds fantastic!

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I will second the broom handle suggestion. I just went on my first trip with clubs and put a broom handle in that was just longer than my driver. While waiting in departures i saw the guys loading luggage onto the plane - my golf bag fell straight on its head and I am sure the broom handle prevented some serious driver damage!

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
I will second the broom handle suggestion. I just went on my first trip with clubs and put a broom handle in that was just longer than my driver. While waiting in departures i saw the guys loading luggage onto the plane - my golf bag fell straight on its head and I am sure the broom handle prevented some serious driver damage!

Good idea i had a Taylor Made R7 Driver head snapped off on a Portugal Trip - clean break it must have taken a right clout - A word of warning always check your clubs before you leave the terminal building as the Baggage handlers don't want to know after you've left the terminal.

Wooky

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can I ask who you booked that through? I'm looking at doing the same and unlimited golf sounds fantastic!

I booked with Golf Breaks.
7 days in Feurteventura flying from my local airport.
The hotel looks lovely & has good reviews on trip advisor.
Booked as a package, the golf becomes very reasonable compared to the price you would normally pay.

I am going in our winter, when the weather in the Canaries will be in the low 20's.
Hopefully, perfect temperature to enjoy the golf.
I have pre-booked my tee times for 10:30am (ish) every day.
Golf Breaks were very professional & efficient in dealing with my booking.
Can't wait.

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have travel all over the world playing golf , always put a towel around the woods and only once have i seen damage and it was to my mates driver , he open the case and the head came off ....................so a hard case is no bad thing ...............just check its an item paid as an item of baggage or is it with a weight restriction on it because then its a different ball game ..........................EYG