Golf fitting for a new golfer

WIL.I.AM

Visit site
Evening all, new to the forum my first post.
I’m really enjoying golfing even though I’ve only started about a month ago, practise a lot at my local driving range and I've been out on a course several times.
My question is that i want some fitted clubs because whilst using my driver i can hit it around 160 yds its a MacGregor set from Costco, however i tried out my friends PXG driver with a stiff flex and it went way beyond 210yds so it got me thinking about having clubs fitted to me.
My swing speed is relatively low around 90 on the driver and many online gurus says a reg flex are more suited to thats type of swing speed so it got me thinking of getting a set of clubs fitted so I’m more accustomed to what my capabilities are.
Your knowledge and feedback is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Welcome Sir....
I think a common view on here for your scenario would be to go and see a Pro, let them have a look and see what's what.
The world of club fitting can be a minefield.
There is little to no standards between clubs . One company's regular flex can be stiffer than another company's stiff flex.
Added into that is the correct weight and a bend profile that fits the way you swing.
One saying in golf is that it's not how fast you swing it's how you swing it fast
By all means go for a fitting,see which heads you like, try a few shafts. There may not be much difference between some but others will be like night and day
It's also said that higher handicappers stand to gain more from a fitting than lower handicaps.
90mph with a driver is a pretty decent speed by the way.

WIL.I.AM

Visit site
Thanks for your reply, my instructor did say he was very surprised with my natural swing style( he doesn’t say that often apparently!)
My worry is that I don’t want to spend thousands on a set of clubs that may not suit me in 6 months time as my technique gets better.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Wil, a good first post and one that's difficult to give a correct answer. I think it's not a great idea to buy clubs too soon in the process, if you're having lessons it's worth asking the pro what, having seen your swing a fair bit, clubs he feels you'd be best suited to. Early on, a secondhand set could be a good way to go and a bit like buying and selling a car the original owner paid most of the depreciation. I agree with Ian that 90 mph is a decent driver speed, I get up to 93mph when warmed up but most of my clubs are stiff shaft, and my driver distance average on Shotscope is 245 yards (roll out) so there is really no hard and fast rule.
Good luck with your progress

Last edited:

WIL.I.AM

Visit site
Hi Chris, i’ve been looking online at various used clubs but they all have different flex’s with different weight shafts and brands to choose from.
Im just thinking that my current set of “starter clubs” so to speak will not make me progress much.
My other hobby is clay pigeon shooting sporting clays which i know quite a lot of in-depth technical stuff about which involves gun fit.
At the end of the day a shotgun is a pair of metal tubes sat on top of each other and you squeeze the trigger but if the stock that you hold doesn’t really fit you it will ultimately hinder your performance, i‘m assuming its the same with golf clubs but correct me if im wrong that its a metal or composite shaft that has an end to it that hits the ball.
If the length of the shaft/weight/flex/grip/head of the club isn’t suited to the individual surely you’re not going to progress in the sport or i’m i thinking too much into it as a beginner?

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Hi Chris, i’ve been looking online at various used clubs but they all have different flex’s with different weight shafts and brands to choose from.
Im just thinking that my current set of “starter clubs” so to speak will not make me progress much.
My other hobby is clay pigeon shooting sporting clays which i know quite a lot of in-depth technical stuff about which involves gun fit.
At the end of the day a shotgun is a pair of metal tubes sat on top of each other and you squeeze the trigger but if the stock that you hold doesn’t really fit you it will ultimately hinder your performance, i‘m assuming its the same with golf clubs but correct me if im wrong that its a metal or composite shaft that has an end to it that hits the ball.
If the length of the shaft/weight/flex/grip/head of the club isn’t suited to the individual surely you’re not going to progress in the sport or i’m i thinking too much into it
as a beginner?

As a golfer who pretty much plays a different set of clubs each week, all with different flexes, lengths, grips, head styles, I'd say that the clubs have minimal impact on my scoring whereas the vagaries of my swing can make a big difference. (And those vagaries aren't influenced to any great degree by the different clubs)

Buy some new clubs if you wish but don't expect them to make much difference to your scoring, for that you need lessons and practice.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can you afford new clubs and do you want to treat yourself? Do you want to look like a ‘real’ golfer with new shiny clubs? Will they make you play better and score lower?
If the answer to the first 2 questions is yes, then go for it- you never know it may make the answer to the last question yes (this is not guaranteed ?)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’d say yes go for it. What are the downsides?

You don’t have to buy anything. But you might learn something. Tell the fitter what you are working on. A good fitter should be able to help.

At least after a fitting you will know what suits you best. You can then go find something second hand in a similar spec.

Most modern clubs can be adjust if your swing changes over time. So don’t worry about that.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Think the affordability point above is a good one. The debate is clearly in your head now and it will play on your mind. The driver difference you mentioned in the OP seemed significant so why not start there and that may guide on whether you stick with just that change for now or not. Most drivers come with a degree of adjustability and you can change shafts so a degree of future proofing.
This is decent for reminding just how much is on the player though

WIL.I.AM

Visit site
Yes i think I’ll probably change my driver and maybe my hybrids to start with and see if theres any change from changing my irons whilst I'm at the fitting.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
It's also said that higher handicappers stand to gain more from a fitting than lower handicaps.
90mph with a driver is a pretty decent speed by the way.
Used to be a fitter, I don't agree with you there I'm afraid, often times a fitting for a high handicapper is just about a waste of time, certainly for a guy who's been playing a month, go get some lessons, nip away until you're a bit more consistent and then look at upgrading to a better fitted set. 90mph is right in the regular flex category for most shafts (with your proviso that there's no standard of flex). I'm 90 myself now and dropped to a reg flex for the first time this year.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
At only a month into the game I’d suggest giving it another 6 (at least) before exploring fitting… unless there’s a reason you need something a bit more unique than the usual off-the-shelf ‘regular/standard’ gear. I suspect your swing is likely to change quite a bit in that time

You’ll likely enjoy, and get more out of, a fitting experience when you’ve hit a few thousand more balls and logged a couple of dozen rounds

Meantime you can always spend under a ton and pick up a 2nd hand stock driver that the ‘experts’ all raved about when it came out 5/6 years ago… because there’s a little known fact when talking about golf gear... It’ll still perform exactly the same as it did when it rolled off the production line 6 years ago and it was being touted as the best thing since sliced cheese ;)

Skytot

Visit site
In my opinion I would go for a fitting now . I would happily spend £50 -£70 fitting fee , get my specs , example, shaft flex , lie angle,cavity muscle Back , blade ect ..
I would then used my specs to get a 2nd hand set which you could easily pick up a for £200/300.
Saw a brand new set of Mizuno 921 irons the other day for £350 . Great forgiving irons at a great price

Skytot

Visit site
Used to be a fitter, I don't agree with you there I'm afraid, often times a fitting for a high handicapper is just about a waste of time, certainly for a guy who's been playing a month, go get some lessons, nip away until you're a bit more consistent and then look at upgrading to a better fitted set. 90mph is right in the regular flex category for most shafts (with your proviso that there's no standard of flex). I'm 90 myself now and dropped to a reg flex for the first time this year.
I’ve been fitted for new irons , fairway woods and driver late this year. Everything was Regular apart from my driver . The fitter had me in a Stiff Tensei 65 shaft on the Mizuno 220.. It’s been brilliant for me . Never thought I was a stiff shaft player but it shows it’s worth going to a good fitter .

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two things imo.
If your clubs don’t fit your swing it will hinder your progress.
That said you don’t need to spend lots of cash on fitted clubs that might not fit you in 12/18 months as you improve.

Fitting Yes imo, get your spec then buy a decent second hand set.
If you improve next year you won’t lose much on your irons before going the whole way on brand new fitted clubs.
Plus you will learn all about your swing in the fitting.

WIL.I.AM

Visit site
Thank you for all your replies and knowledge so far, i went to a golf store today to have a look at various clubs. One particular brand and model of irons felt different in a good way to me as i could feel the club head whilst swinging the club, if thats a good thing or bad i really don’t know yet as i will probably make some enquiries about fitting soon.

Skytot

Visit site
Thank you for all your replies and knowledge so far, i went to a golf store today to have a look at various clubs. One particular brand and model of irons felt different in a good way to me as i could feel the club head whilst swinging the club, if thats a good thing or bad i really don’t know yet as i will probably make some enquiries about fitting soon.
Come on , gives us a clue . What was it ?