Golf Bag (Small Compact Pencil Options)

AMBurnsy

Visit site
Hello All,

This is my first post here, and I am struggling to find something particular for my bag carry wise and I am open to options or suggestions. Looking at more like pencil bags than the full carry bags.

Requirements:
Small and lightweight to carry,
Hold around 6 clubs minimum comfy,
Full tall stand legs (not the short stumpy legs that most pencil bags have),
Sturdy hard bottom base, (not fabric which I see so many reports of them tearing),

Examples I have noticed so far:
Taylormade Quiver Golf Pencil Stand Bag, - Pretty sure this base is solid but the legs are the stumpy short type that I do not want.
Masters SL500 Velo Golf Stand Bag, - Unable to tell if this base is solid from pictures and cannot find an image from above of the club space.
Longridge Ultra Light 5" Golf Stand Bag - Unable to tell if this base is solid from pictures, also not found anyone who knows if the brand is any good quality wise.

Welcoming your thoughts, thank you all,
AMBurnsy

Last edited:

AMBurnsy

Visit site
The Inesis Ultralight stand bag from Decathlon might be worth a look?

Yes this one also looks like a decent option, looks so similar to that Taylormade Quiver Golf Pencil Stand Bag with tall legs and the straps also look a lot more sturdy and comfy too.
Is that base a solid hard plastic on the bottom though? Looks it but cannot tell.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Definitely better going for a ultralite stand bag as more options and sturdier in the wind. Plus, other than being skinny, you’ve pretty much set out a full stand bag in your requirements. If it’s a weight issue, just don’t fill all the extra pockets you have as that’s where the weight comes from, especially balls.

gtlewi

Visit site
Yes this one also looks like a decent option, looks so similar to that Taylormade Quiver Golf Pencil Stand Bag with tall legs and the straps also look a lot more sturdy and comfy too.
Is that base a solid hard plastic on the bottom though? Looks it but cannot tell.
Yeah it’s a solid plastic base

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I have a Ping Hoofer "Crazelite" bag, and it definitely ticks all your boxes. They're not cheap though, £100+ although I managed to pick mine up 2nd hand.

I've currently got it loaded with "odd" clubs - Dr, 3h, 5, 7, 9 iron, gap wedge and lob wedge. Added a putter and it's great.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I know the OP said 'no' to short legs but I cant resist another shout out for the Mizuno BR-D2, love mine

Meets all the other criteria you're looking for and I actually find the short legs an advantage over full length
Keeps the bag off wet ground, shorter legs don't get tangled, less likely to catch/bend getting in/out car, doesn't hinder the fit if used on trolly/cart, gives better stability in high winds... its all good (y)

AMBurnsy

Visit site
I know the OP said 'no' to short legs but I cant resist another shout out for the Mizuno BR-D2, love mine

Meets all the other criteria you're looking for and I actually find the short legs an advantage over full length
Keeps the bag off wet ground, shorter legs don't get tangled, less likely to catch/bend getting in/out car, doesn't hinder the fit if used on trolly/cart, gives better stability in high winds... its all good (y)

You have some good points here Slab with the more sturdy, non catching points. It just looks so low, like a bend down every time to pick up/swap clubs and also pick up the bag.
Note: me and my co-golfers have agreed we will always walk the courses so regular picking up and putting down for the whole 18 holes, hense the taller stand preferred.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You have some good points here Slab with the more sturdy, non catching points. It just looks so low, like a bend down every time to pick up/swap clubs and also pick up the bag.
Note: me and my co-golfers have agreed we will always walk the courses so regular picking up and putting down for the whole 18 holes, hense the taller stand preferred.

Yeah no doubt there is more of a bend to picking it up compared to longer legs but the grab handle is at least a foot off the ground so its no worse than that
(anyway you're already bending down much further than that many many dozens of times during a round; putting ball on tee picking up tee after hitting, picking up ball for preferred lies, replacing ball, picking up ball to mark on green, replacing ball on green, getting ball out the hole.... its really not gonna make any difference to your back... & I speak as someone who's fractured my spine)

When I get to my ball I stand it upright after taking it off my shoulders and take my club out before I lower it to the ground anyway and same for putting club back it

I've seen a review with someone putting 14 clubs in but I'd say that's too many. I max out at 10 clubs in it but given the thick grips on my long clubs I usually limit it to 8 or 9

RichA

Visit site
Yeah no doubt there is more of a bend to picking it up compared to longer legs but the grab handle is at least a foot off the ground so its no worse than that
(anyway you're already bending down much further than that many many dozens of times during a round; putting ball on tee picking up tee after hitting, picking up ball for preferred lies, replacing ball, picking up ball to mark on green, replacing ball on green, getting ball out the hole.... its really not gonna make any difference to your back... & I speak as someone who's fractured my spine)

When I get to my ball I stand it upright after taking it off my shoulders and take my club out before I lower it to the ground anyway and same for putting club back it

I've seen a review with someone putting 14 clubs in but I'd say that's too many. I max out at 10 clubs in it but given the thick grips on my long clubs I usually limit it to 8 or 9
Yep. I'm bored so I just checked and the handle is 21" above the ground. More of a lean than a bend to pick it up. And it's stable standing upright in the garage with a much smaller footprint than a stand bag. CD5CF0BC-3D49-45D4-9EF5-9D60CD9FF086.jpeg

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yep. I'm bored so I just checked and the handle is 21" above the ground. More of a lean than a bend to pick it up. And it's stable standing upright in the garage with a much smaller footprint than a stand bag. View attachment 44677

Cool, yeah I thought it was about the same height as you'd bend for a penalty drop :sneaky: And as you say the base is pretty stable if its stood upright and not knocked off balance like the leg 'pedal' can sometimes do on the long leg version
How many clubs do you usually go with?
I did a 3 day 54 hole trip last weekend with mine and 10 clubs even though I had a buggy each day and just left the cart bag at home because it was at an away course and I needed to carry back to the car/hotel etc but I do prefer the extra space with just 8 or 9 clubs

RichA

Visit site
Cool, yeah I thought it was about the same height as you'd bend for a penalty drop :sneaky: And as you say the base is pretty stable if its stood upright and not knocked off balance like the leg 'pedal' can sometimes do on the long leg version
How many clubs do you usually go with?
I did a 3 day 54 hole trip last weekend with mine and 10 clubs even though I had a buggy each day and just left the cart bag at home because it was at an away course and I needed to carry back to the car/hotel etc but I do prefer the extra space with just 8 or 9 clubs
It only arrived yesterday, so I haven't actually taken it on a golf course yet. ?
It's comfortably holding 12 clubs at the moment, but I'll probably take a couple out before I play this afternoon.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Definitely better going for a ultralite stand bag as more options and sturdier in the wind. Plus, other than being skinny, you’ve pretty much set out a full stand bag in your requirements. If it’s a weight issue, just don’t fill all the extra pockets you have as that’s where the weight comes from, especially balls.

I would agree with this wholeheartedly. I bought a Benross Pro-Lite 2, based entirely on price, and I love it. It holds more than six clubs, but it's so light when empty. Sounds simplistic, but the weight is almost entirely down to how much you put in it. I've dropped a few clubs that I rarely use, and most importantly only carry about six balls.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I would agree with this wholeheartedly. I bought a Benross Pro-Lite 2, based entirely on price, and I love it. It holds more than six clubs, but it's so light when empty. Sounds simplistic, but the weight is almost entirely down to how much you put in it. I've dropped a few clubs that I rarely use, and most importantly only carry about six balls.
whereas my bag is a staff style cart bag and weighs a ton!

The thing I love about my spare stand bag is that it is a faithful do it all. I use it for the range and I use it for 9 holes or less. I also use it when I’m travelling abroad or in a car share with less room. It really does everything.

in fact for the kilo that will be saved on a pencil or ultra lite, I’d happily get another of my ping bags when it gives up the ghost as this one has lasted years.