Hybrid golf bags

stevench

Club Champion
Visit site
Has anyone found the hybrid golf bags a good replacement for those of us that like to carry and push?
I'd say 80% of my rounds are with my trolley but I do really enjoy a stand bag for a quick 9 holes or range sessions etc.
At the minute I have both a stand bag and a cart bag but the minimalist in me always wants to get down to a single bag and for years I've switched between the two.

The hybrid appeals to me given the extra size and a few new features now like on the trolley rest at the top of the legs on the Titleist 14 hybrid. https://www.titleist.co.uk/product/hybrid-14-stadry-stand-bag/054GB1T.html

Anyone made the switch to this setup and satisfied with the hybrid on the trolley?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My bag is a hybrid one (made by MacGregor).
Positives are:
  • Don't have to shift all your clubs, balls, tees from one bag to another depending on if you want to use the trolley or not.
  • If there's a trolley ban and you didn't realise beforehand, you're not then lumbered with having to carry a single-strap cart bag around.
  • Just saves the cost of buying two bags when you can buy one! Saves space as well in the cupboard which my wife appreciates.
And the only thing you sacrifice really is half a large pocket on one side, but if you plan effectively it's not really a big loss. You've still got everything else a cart bag would give you, but you can carry it if needed. Bit of a no-brainer to me, I'm not sure why all bags aren't like this now. :LOL:

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah I use one, I carry 90% of the time, and only use a trolley if its chucking it down.

To be honest they are just very slightly bigger carry bags, having a trolley with a hybrid bag on doesnt really give you enough added room to carry everything that makes the trolley worth while.

Maybe if its a push trolley rather than electric one theres more sense as keeping weight down is maybe a concern?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I must be missing something as I coudn't determine from the pictures on the Titleist site what made the bag different from a normal carry bag?

What specific features makes a hybrid bag a hybrid bag, and what does it do that a normal stand bag doesnt?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Some have more dividers and some have maybe one more pocket. I think its just marketing speak for a slightly bigger and heavier carry bag.

Almost all the festures are the same design and position as a carry bag, so theyre not great when they're on a trolley.

Saying that, if your mixing between carrying and pushing, its easier to put a carry bag on a trolley, than it is to put a trolley bag on your back...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I must be missing something as I coudn't determine from the pictures on the Titleist site what made the bag different from a normal carry bag?

What specific features makes a hybrid bag a hybrid bag, and what does it do that a normal stand bag doesnt?
I could be wrong as mine is a different brand, but I think firstly the size sits somewhere in between a regular cart bag and a carry bag, plus the mechanism for the legs is situated a little bit higher up so it doesn't get in the way when you put it on the trolley.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I could be wrong as mine is a different brand, but I think firstly the size sits somewhere in between a regular cart bag and a carry bag, plus the mechanism for the legs is situated a little bit higher up so it doesn't get in the way when you put it on the trolley.

What trolley do you use ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm with you, it's the Emperor's New Clothes.

I have what is officially called a hybrid bag by Titleist, it's a carry stand bag ?‍♂️

Sits on the trolley perfectly for most of the year, ample pocket storage, and I sometimes carry it when the course is wet (don't like the slightly dangly legs though).
The thing is, I have put a carry bag on a trolley in the past, and seen other people do the same, and they always rotate while you're trundling along until they're sitting on it sideways and you can't access the pockets on one side. Whereas my hybrid bag never does this, it generally remains upright like a cart bag would. So there must be something in it, whether it's the shape or size or design, I don't know.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In reality it's a small design tweak with a fairly big benefit.

I've used a carry bag on a trolly and it's a pain the backside. Sits wrong and looks wrong.

If they have sorted that then it's a good thing.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have a new hybrid bag, the Big Max one. The legs can be locked with a velcro strap, so no dangly legs, but I do wish the carry straps were easy to remove. My old Callaway one had some click on / off fittings. Carry straps are naff when the bag is on a trolley.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I get that sometimes the top of the leg mechanism of a normal carry bag might rest on the upper support of the trolley and cause it to be a bit unstable....but surely the solution is to fold up a towel or maybe place a lump of foam between the bag and the trolley?

Yorkhacker

Visit site
I'm with Orikoru and garyinderry. I have a Big Max Aqua hybrid bag which is great on the trolley (PowaKaddy twinline 4) or to carry. I've also got a Callaway stand bag which does not sit properly on the trolley, and twists a lot. I think its to do with having a smaller base.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a new hybrid bag, the Big Max one. The legs can be locked with a velcro strap, so no dangly legs, but I do wish the carry straps were easy to remove. My old Callaway one had some click on / off fittings. Carry straps are naff when the bag is on a trolley.

Yes, mine arrived yesterday and I was looking if there was an easy mod I could do to easily remove the straps. I have a couple of carabiner clips somewhere, maybe that would work ?
Excellent bag BTW, the little cut out on the base makes it fit perfectly onto my trolley.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Have to admit I'm lazy. I just tuck them into the handle so their out the way

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have to admit I'm lazy. I just tuck them into the handle so their out the way
I don't think the carry strap even comes off my MacGregor bag, so it just sort of dangles on top when it's on the trolley, but it doesn't really bother me. If I'm going to a pocket on the front it's quite easy to slap the strap out of the way. ??‍♂️