Advice rule

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had a discussion with a player about advice think I got it right but would like to check, can a player say to a p/p whose about to putt “take your time “.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a discussion with a player about advice think I got it right but would like to check, can a player say to a p/p whose about to putt “take your time “.
That type of comment is on the edge, and depends on the intent. The definition of advice is,
"Any verbal comment or action (such as showing what club was just used to make a stroke) that is intended to influence a player in:
- choosing a club
- making a stroke, or
- deciding how to play during a hole or round."

So it depends on your intention in making that comment. I would think that saying, "take your time, I'm in no hurry" would be fine, but if you are suggesting that he has been rushing and should take more time in making the stroke, that would not be fine. It is a fine line.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That type of comment is on the edge, and depends on the intent. The definition of advice is,
"Any verbal comment or action (such as showing what club was just used to make a stroke) that is intended to influence a player in:
- choosing a club
- making a stroke, or
- deciding how to play during a hole or round."

So it depends on your intention in making that comment. I would think that saying, "take your time, I'm in no hurry" would be fine, but if you are suggesting that he has been rushing and should take more time in making the stroke, that would not be fine. It is a fine line.

Ok thanks looks like I was wrong then telling a player you can’t say “ take your time”.

It was the scenario player finishing off his putt and saying “ I’ll just finish that off” and other player saying “take your time”

Golf rules can be difficult sometimes I didn’t think there were ‘fine lines’ in rules just black and white.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Penalty or not, if anyone says that to me when I'm about to tap in I will mark and start again.

No need for people to be saying stuff like that.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've found it is said most often when the player has just missed a makeable putt and is clearly a bit annoyed with themselves. To me that would make it advice.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is it your playing partner (team mate) or an opponent (player in your group but not team mate)? Must be specific on the rules forum as you will get loads of different answers!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It’s my standard reply to the question “Do you mind if I finish that.”
I say “Of course, take your time”

its mere politeness.

That happens frequently but what about if your playing a 4 ball in a match and you say that to one of your opponents then after a few holes your partner misses a few short putts then has a two footer and you say to him the same exact 5 words, if I were your opponent in this match I would think that was advice.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
That happens frequently but what about if your playing a 4 ball in a match and you say that to one of your opponents then after a few holes your partner misses a few short putts then has a two footer and you say to him the same exact 5 words, if I were your opponent in this match I would think that was advice.
You can give your partner advice at any time

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You can give your partner advice at any time

Ok my mistake?

I’ll try again?

If 3 of you are playing in a medal one a good friend other a stranger, you say to stranger when he says” I’ll finish that off” “ “ok take your time”

Then after seeing your friend miss 3/4 really short putts you say to him when he next has a two footer “ take your time” is that not advice. ?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok my mistake?

I’ll try again?

If 3 of you are playing in a medal one a good friend other a stranger, you say to stranger when he says” I’ll finish that off” “ “ok take your time”

Then after seeing your friend miss 3/4 really short putts you say to him when he next has a two footer “ take your time” is that not advice. ?
What is your intention when you say that? (see definition of advice)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ok my mistake?

I’ll try again?

As Rulie says "what is your attention" when you say it.

Personally if someone asks if they can hole out I just say "of course"

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What is your intention when you say that? (see definition of advice)

I understand definition of advice as explained previously ?

In the scenario I last quoted it would have been advice to help him which as explained is not allowed, but it’s one of the strange rules where you can utter exactly the same words but one is allowed and ones not.

Then with a lot of rules it’s about self policing ?

NearHull

Visit site
As I stated 5 hours ago, it’s just politeness, no more, no less. Rather nicer than saying ‘Of course, hurry up” .