Advice

D-S

Visit site
Is the advice rule the most unknowingly breached but least penalised rule in golf?

If it was scrapped would it make any material difference to scores or equity? - as it is as likely to hinder as it is to help golfers.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It may well be commonly breached and while it might not change results in the very short term if it disappeared, the near future for golf would look very different as mates start reading lines for each other’s putts, swapping club choice info and giving mid-round instructional swing tips etc etc becomes the norm… all extending the pace of play

Nah, its best we keep it please

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Probably.
No.
I can't follow my own advice, let alone anyone else's! 🤣

One of the most frequently broken rules of giving advice: "take your time" and "don't rush" when telling someone who's about to putt! "There's no rush" is fine as it's a statement of fact (or not caring about the two groups waiting on the tee! 🤣🤣).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is a stupid rule when it pertains to things like asking what club someone has used. Firstly, knowing that another playing partner used a 7 iron doesn't really help that much - his 7 iron could be 5° weaker in loft than mine. Or he may naturally hit a 7 iron 10 yards longer than I do. Secondly, if you see him holding a driver, or a hybrid say, then you already know what club he is using anyway. If you ask someone what club they're using it's little more than a point of interest really.

There are other things you can file under 'advice' that shouldn't be allowed though. Like a fellow competitor helping you read putts for example - I'd still say that's a no no.

Swango1980

Visit site
Given that I've played with many people in the past who are atrocious at course management, then yes, I'm sure being able to offer advice to certain players could make a huge difference

wjemather

Visit site
Is the advice rule the most unknowingly breached but least penalised rule in golf?

If it was scrapped would it make any material difference to scores or equity? - as it is as likely to hinder as it is to help golfers.
Decent caddies demonstrably save players multiple strokes per round, so yes, advice absolutely makes a difference.

While asking and sharing what club has been hit - probably the most common breach - is of very little use to many and often has a detrimental effect, it is certainly can be an assistance when familiar with others games, particularly for better players (who are more knowledgeable and realistic about their yardages).

There are other situations where advice is hugely beneficial, including: most higher handicappers would save multiple strokes per round by having a better player give them course management advice; some people are hopeless at reading greens - having someone advise the speed and break would easily save multiple strokes per round; etc.

salfordlad

Visit site
The advice rule is the essential distinction between individual play and partnered play. If you don't like individual play, play more four balls, scrambles or social groupings with like-minded folk. Each club decides their own mix of events.

Individual play is the truer test of skill and I see no logic in weakening its foundational and core role in the sport.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
My take is that some 'advice' is so trivial that it won't make the blindest bit of difference. But equally, some 'advice' will most definitely will change how a player considers and/or executes a shot. Somewhere between those two extremes lies the transition from where it doesn't make a difference to where it does.. However, that boundary is subjective, somewhat blurred, and open to misinterpretation and/or deliberate manipulation. So the easiest way to to make sure all players are playing to the same rules and standards is to simply say "no advice". OK, it might prohibit it a few nonsensical things - but that is rather better than having an unregulated free-for-all, or than having to define every possible example of what is and isn't advice. IMO.